What's new

Transfer case range fork breakage

Domer

Yup.. it's Broken...
Member Number
Loc
Idaho
I have a recurring problem. Back history, I bought a 2012 JK MP241 transfer case for my doubler, first drive out it got stuck in neutral. Found out that the range fork was severely worn. Rebuilt those parts, and my low range wouldn't stay engaged. Pulled it back out, it was out of alignment and the range hub was riding on the planetary in high range. I replaced almost all the parts from another case. Worked great, for about 400 miles, and it has failed again. (I haven't pulled it, but it popped into neutral and had to tow it home). Here are pictures from the previous times. Any ideas why this is repeatedly happening?

Attachments

• KIMG4533.JPG
    KIMG4533.JPG
    993.4 KB · Views: 116
  • KIMG4511.JPG
    KIMG4511.JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 53
  • KIMG3355.JPG
    KIMG3355.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Cheap pot metal?
Doubt it, these are all mopar parts. It was a stock JK case. It is wearing through the plastic pads, and then burning up the forks. I have visually verified the oil pump is working, and the case is clocked up, so everything has an oil bath also. only thing i can think of is there is a problem with the actual case.

Something likely isn't clearanced correctly causing those parts to see pressure all the time.

Once engaged that selector should just kind of idle there and occasionally bop off of the fork.

Is this in a JK or custom application? If custom, is your shifter maxing out the range of motion? These cases have internal detents, so ideally the shifter shouldn't reach any sort of limits but let the case do that work

Something likely isn't clearanced correctly causing those parts to see pressure all the time.

Once engaged that selector should just kind of idle there and occasionally bop off of the fork.
You are correct, ive scoped it when it was assembled, and it looks good. the selector gear isnt damaged, and everything shifted and stay engaged just fine. yesterday it just popped out, and i could manipulate it back in, but it wont stay. which tells me the fork is fucked again.

Is this in a JK or custom application? If custom, is your shifter maxing out the range of motion? These cases have internal detents, so ideally the shifter shouldn't reach any sort of limits but let the case do that work
Custom. Dakota with a doubler. My shifters do not have any detents. They are free swing, and the stops are the internal grooves of the transfer case with the spring and detent plug. it shifted just fine, until it didnt. i have verified with the case on the bench that the shift arm has full throw and doesnt contact the case at all.

Haha I just realized who you were, we were chatting about your steering on FB a ways back! All snap rings for the input shaft and planetary assembly good to go? I was almost wondering about the doubler shaft being a touch long and preloading things, but the snap rings should keep locations set. I'm trying to wrap my head around why the shift fork would be applying any pressure while the shifter is settled into the proper detents. Hmm.

Haha I just realized who you were, we were chatting about your steering on FB a ways back! All snap rings for the input shaft and planetary assembly good to go? I was almost wondering about the doubler shaft being a touch long and preloading things, but the snap rings should keep locations set. I'm trying to wrap my head around why the shift fork would be applying any pressure while the shifter is settled into the proper detents. Hmm.
So in the previous incidents, it is pushing the range hub to far forward as it is rubbing on the planetary. and doesnt fully engage low range and it would pop out under power. this last time, everything worked good, and ive wheeled the hell out of it. On the road it randomly decided to get fucked again. maybe something else is broken as i havent pulled it yet to look at the damage.

How is your shift linkage hooked up? Any body movement putting pressure on the shift fork causing the failure?

How is your shift linkage hooked up? Any body movement putting pressure on the shift fork causing the failure?
No, the shifter are all light weight aluminum, they have no detents, just free swing. The case detents are what locks everything in.

I'm really curious what you come up with here, this is quite the odd set of quirks you've experienced. And for the similar symptoms to repeat themselves after a rebuild, so strange.

Top Back Refresh