What's new

Trailer wheel bearings

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
All I've ever used are the cheap china ones. That's probably what all my trailer have. But my gooseneck will need bearings soon. And I might be doing the work boat trailer also.
Is it worth tracking down some timkens or are the china ones the only ones you can buy from local stores for a reason?

times 2 on grease and seals. trailers dont see the miles like our commuter cars do, unless your hot shotting or something, but when they see the miles they see them loaded, and over loaded and long hours at a time. grease grease grease thats my 2 cents anyway

I planned on using Mercury extreme grease. That's what I use on the boats. It's also in my trucks bearings. It's wheel bearing and disk break approved and water proof.

Ive never had bearing issues on stuff I replaced or packed. It's only been stuff with a questionable past.

Maybe try to go to a local trailer supplier.

there's one in every town. Just have to find em. It'll be the same guy that does hydraulic hoses and what not. maybe a metal supplier.

Get your stuff from the same person so that it all matches and you don't have to wait for mail delivery. They usually carry decent stuff all the time.

this.

all the timken factories here went away fifteen years ago.
For giggles, I checked a couple of boxes here at work....USA and Mexico....

1389E136-F6CC-4EDC-97F0-6896362686E9.jpeg
FB58C97A-7D27-4FDD-AE87-E767CF605920.jpeg

I researched the shit out of this last summer on other forums. There are USA Timken bearings but fuck if I know now. As said Timken are not exclusively USA any more. I gave up and had the Ford dealer put their warranted crap on the pig and a trailer shop put theirs with warranty on the trailer.

Timken or skf. Never had an issue with generic blue grease for trailer bearings on a farm. Used on our fuel trailer as well as cargo trailers.

Some of those greases, you're paying for the name and their marketing arm.

Timken or skf. Never had an issue with generic blue grease for trailer bearings on a farm. Used on our fuel trailer as well as cargo trailers.

Some of those greases, you're paying for the name and their marketing arm.

Back when I did boat shit we'd go through a couple cases of Walmart blue marine grease every season. Never had a problem with a bearing that wasn't the result of one being run dry.

not trailer, but semi-relevant. I did the bearings in my front load washer with the cheapest bearings possible. neither lasted > a year, with light use of maybe 2 loads a week. I bought name brand last time for maybe $50 instead of $20, and i think I'm past a year. Good was worth the $$ after I learned my lesson

then to counter my own point, the DD civic has the cheapest $30 rear wheel bearings/hubs on it possible. I've got at least 70k on those so far

Top Back Refresh