What's new

Trailer tires - What's good, what's junk?

I've heard that truck tires don't like the scrub that trailer tires see. Although, I think it's pretty rare to actually wear out a set of trailer tires (unless it's a triple axle) :homer:

I'm betting he doesn't have 7k axles.

I actually broke 2 wheels on my father in law's 10k buggy hauler. Had a samurai and stock 1st gen Toyota on it. So like 7k lbs maybe? They were the lightest cheapest steel wheels I've dealt with.
Maybe, but you're not driving in circles all day hopefully. The occasional turn at the station shouldn't hurt much and we usually try to swing wide (gooseneck).

If you are running 8 luggers start rounding up 90s ford steel wheels. They'll take a beating.

tailer tires are kinda disposable carry a spare with a hub/bearing hardware kit bolted on with new lug nuts read to go

Another vote for Maxxix M8008 ST Radials. Running 205/75r15 load range D on my 7000 lbs jeep hauler at 60psi. I installed them in 2014 and they have maybe 8000 miles on them. Trailer stored outside with tires covered. They are just starting to show some slight dry rot/checking. Took them on a 600 mile trip last weekend with no issues. Will be replacing them with another set of Maxxis M8008 “plus” which I guess is the latest version.

I went ahead and ordered (4) Maxxis M8008 ST “plus” radials, they arrived yesterday. I’m hoping I get similar performance/life as I did with my original set of M8008, praying the “plus” version doesn’t mean a quality decreased tire at a higher price.

Anyone got a good 8-14.5 Trailer tire recommendation?

I've been running ZEEMAX (cheapest and it I got exactly what I paid for) and this thing is just eating thru them with maybe 1000 miles on it since I put all new tires under it and I've already had to replace a couple. Looking to try another brand.

and no, I'm not gonna swap axles to 8 lugs for something that gets 1000 miles a year on it.

Fix your egged out hangers and equalizers and bent axles.

The only way you're gonna kill a tire in 1000mile without blowing it out or doing track day shit is by scrubbing the tread off so maybe fix whatever is already wrong rather than blaming the tire.

You'd be half right if the trailer was garbage, but I stripped this trailer down to the frame and went thru everything and put all new hardware / bushings under it when I rebuilt it 1000 miles ago.

Read the reviews for the ZEEMAX 8-14.5, they're garbage with almost anyone whos run them for any amount of time saying the same thing, the pics they post are exactly what I'm dealing with. Tread wearing down to nothing and sidewalls that crack.

You'd be half right if the trailer was garbage, but I stripped this trailer down to the frame and went thru everything and put all new hardware / bushings under it when I rebuilt it 1000 miles ago.

Read the reviews for the ZEEMAX 8-14.5, they're garbage with almost anyone whos run them for any amount of time saying the same thing, the pics they post are exactly what I'm dealing with. Tread wearing down to nothing and sidewalls that crack.
I drift three on-ramps a day and I can't kill a tire in 10k let alone 5 or 1.

What tire pressure are you running and what's on the trailer?

I got the cheapest ones from eBay. Seem good. Previously I was rolling on dry rotted C rated tires from my old Tacoma. They never let me down, I towed some sketchy shit.

Attachments

• 98381C3C-EA17-41D0-B17F-EC8CFF600325.png
    98381C3C-EA17-41D0-B17F-EC8CFF600325.png
    215 KB · Views: 16
Anyone have experience with these Rainer ST LR-E trailer tires? New trailer came with them.

Attachments

• 20230608_184019.jpg
    20230608_184019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230608_184039.jpg
    20230608_184039.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
Bound to be better than the the junk that came on mine.

So what's the consensus? 14 ply Chinesiusm tires inflated correctly and replace every 4(ish) years as necessary?

Maxxis M8008 ST Load Range E in 225/75R15 on my car hauler.

Sailun S637 ST Load Rating G in 235/85R16 on my 36ft enclosed.

Both sets are inflated at max pressure, none of them are stored outside, never had any issues (outside of running over a nail once), swapping them every 3 years or so.
still happy with the Sailun? They're a good $50/tire less than the Maxxis around me...

I always imagine the Chineese tire factory melting down used condoms and dildos and filling tire molds with the goop.
That’s some weird shit to be sitting around picturing, but I’m glad you’ve found something that helps you relax.

Still happy with the Sailuns on the TH.
Not something I worry about anymore.

I have had pretty good luck running the Hartlands from Discount Tire. 10 plys on my toy hauler and gooseneck. i think 8 ply on the 12' single axle with 15" wheels.

Called NTB yesterday to see if I could pick up another Sailun as a second spare for the trailer... Can't get them. Checked Sailun's site and can't find them listed anywhere... Nada on SimpleTire or Tirerack... They stop making them?

Called NTB yesterday to see if I could pick up another Sailun as a second spare for the trailer... Can't get them. Checked Sailun's site and can't find them listed anywhere... Nada on SimpleTire or Tirerack... They stop making them?
They both show in stock for me but there are 0 installers in my area. I remember now the last time I ordered o got them off eBay from simple tire and they shipped them direct to me.

1000011087.jpg

They both show in stock for me but there are 0 installers in my area. I remember now the last time I ordered o got them off eBay from simple tire and they shipped them direct to me.

My local NTB got them for me a few years ago.

1000011087.jpg
thx again. Ordered an extra...

I ordered the first time from simple tire and ntb did the install second time no ntb option so a local ship did it.

Both where good.
I don't use ntb for anything else, Discount tire for all my shit.

Top Back Refresh