What's new

Trailer tires - What's good, what's junk?

aczlan

Good Morning!
Member Number
Loc
Fingerlakes region of NY
Let's have a thread on what trailer tires are good in the various sizes/weight ratings (ie: 3500# axle such as for a single axle 3500# trailer or 7k car hauler, a 10k equipment trailer or a 14k equipment trailer)

For us, we have been very happy with a pair of Power King Towmax STR tires in the 205/75R15 load range D (2150#/tire).
The tires were balanced and inflated to sidewall pressure when new (in 2013) and they have lived outside ever since. Not a lot of miles on them, but no cracks or issues with them.

IMG_20220911_124414802_HDR.jpg

Looking for suggestions in the Load Range E 225/75 R15 size to go on my 10k trailer whenever I get around to getting it painted.

Aaron Z

On my 18ft car hauler I run contender TT868 in the 225/75R15 with no complaints. I was blowing a tire every few months, went to discount tire had those mounted up with road hazard, and been a year with no issue. Never more than a half ton truck on it though. I get them reblanced and run 80mph empty.

Goose runs 235/85R16 Provider F835s, has seen 30k+ for nearly 3 years now.

Running Kenda Karrier KR03 in 205/75r14 Load range D 2200lbs @ 75psi on our single axle 18' camper and I'm not happy with them.

The tires were on the camper when we bought it new, late 2020 DOT code and I've lost three of them in the last three months. One blow out at 65 mph on a 100°F day passenger side, one flat driver's side, second blow out at 65 mph on a 75°F day in the rain passenger side. Concerned I was running too heavy I stopped at a CAT scale and the camper is running right at 3920lbs on a 4000lb axle, always ran the tires at 75psi and checked them before each trip, I used the stabilizer jacks to take some of the weight off of them while the camper was parked.

Tires #1 and #2 made it about 5000 miles, tire #3 had about 2200 miles before letting go. After the first blowout I stopped at Northern Tool and bought two of the same Kenda Tires in the 1925lbs rating mounted on wheels to continue our trip, once back home I bought another Kenda 2200lb tire to replace the flat. Now I'm debating on going to a 225/75/15 for a higher load capacity or to a 215/75r14 Goodyear Endurance for the same 2200lbs but at 65 psi hoping for better quality.

Last edited:
Carlisle 225 /75 15 LRE on my car trailer, I've got a half a dozen posts on the big dumb load threads, I've about worn them out, I bought another set

They're all junk, especially the ones they come with from the manufacturer, but I like to go up a size/load rating. I put gladiator 14 ply all steels on my 14k trailer, then put the 235/80r16s on my father in law's 10k trailer.

We also run 14 ply's on the 21k triple axles at work. My trailer is right at 20-21k on the axles every day and we usually wear them down before there's an issue. Which isn't saying a lot with a triple axle, :homer:

When ever I need a new set I usually go with Hercules trailer tires. Good deal locally. Had a few sets no issues.

Biggest thing is keep the tires at the max pressure and they don't get hot.

Have triangles on popup. The 15" tires its usually cheaper and easier to just buy new rim and tires together.

I have had good luck with Power King Super Highway bias ply trailer tires. I had a set that were almost 15 years old and still didn’t blow out even being that old. I decided to replace them with the same thing again before I had any issues. I did have one blow out but it got cut on the fender and I dont blame the tire. The mice thing about bias plies is when they blow out they do not do as much damage around them.

My experience with Trailer King tires last weekend. Properly inflated, not overloaded - merely Chinese in origin. They decided to blow up in Modesto and Stockton (I only had one spare - now I carry two because of this horseshit).

IMG_1110.jpg

68412907446__17522D92-0054-4B5D-AF34-ECC7A14F0020.fullsizerender.JPG

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Surprisingly I have had good luck with whatever cheap 225/75/15 trailer tires I find on ebay. I've had two minor flats at different times. I've abused the hell put of em and always left in dirt and sun....I buy new after every couple yrs or so. My current tires are free country e rated.... always get e rated and speed rated up to 90 or so which I feel is key.

Maxxis M8008 ST Load Range E in 225/75R15 on my car hauler.

Sailun S637 ST Load Rating G in 235/85R16 on my 36ft enclosed.

Both sets are inflated at max pressure, none of them are stored outside, never had any issues (outside of running over a nail once), swapping them every 3 years or so.

When I rebuilt my 18 ft car trailer, I ditched the 3500 lb axles and installed a set of 5500 lb axles. I went from 15" C's to Goodyear Marathon 235/85/R16 E's. It's been 6 years and have made multiple cross country trips without a blow out. I limit my speed to 70 mph. I know I'm due a new set just due to age. I don't know if true, but I was told Goodyear Endurance trailer tires were made in America but have never verified.

My 26 ft hot shot trailer has 235/85/R16's and it seems to blow tires everytime I use it. When trailer was 5 years old, I blew 5 tires in one cross country trip. 5 years later, I blew 3 tires on a 500 mile trip hauling a 10k tractor. I think age with these chicom tires is the biggest factor more than anything else. I do store the goose with all 4 jacks down to take the weight off the tires when it sits idle.

tires.jpg

blow out 1.jpg

blow out 2.jpg

Now, hear me out...

11R22.5s should wear slow enough that you never have to buy tires as long as the one time every few years you see a loose semi truck hub/rim/tire combo on the side of the highway you stop and pick it up.

:laughing::flipoff2:

Maxxis M8008 ST Load Range E in 225/75R15 on my car hauler.

Sailun S637 ST Load Rating G in 235/85R16 on my 36ft enclosed.

Both sets are inflated at max pressure, none of them are stored outside, never had any issues (outside of running over a nail once), swapping them every 3 years or so.

I use the exact same Sailun tires, put newer ones on my 32ft enclosed gooseneck and swap the older ones to the open flat bed trailer. I have some back to 2009 that are now spares. All look good no issues. Mine sit outside, I do cover the enclosed tires. Enclosed is only used wheeling and storage so low miles. Flatbed is used 2-3 days a week.

Maxxis M8008 ST Radial FTW :flipoff2:

I have the load range D (2,150 Lb max load) 205/75R15 (TL15703000) on my 7K car hauler. They are wearing great and no flats in 3+ years and 10,000+ miles. I keep them at 56PSI and cruise at 70-75 MPH and occasionally hit 80MPH on downhill grades or making passes. The load range C bias plies that came on the trailer were smoked after about 2 years and had multiple flats (punctures not blow outs).

My father has the load range C (1,820 Lb max load) versions (TL15700000) on his 7K car hauler and no problem either. This is a man who has blown out so many trailer tires that he carries 2 spares, a hydraulic floor jack, and an electric impact with him every time he hooks up the trailer :laughing:

I fully agree with the comments about switching to LT tires if you can fit ones with an appropriate load rating or running trailer tires a load rating or two higher than what is necessary for your trailer's weight rating.

I like Cooper Discoverer HT3 on trailers, replacing previously installed tires as they go. Better sidewall and speed ratings. I balance them as well, despite the tire guys questioning the need to balance trailer tires. They seem to ride and last better.

Super happy with my Sailun s637's on the tri-axle enclosed I pull. Put 8k on them so far this summer and no issues. Wearing better than the Hercules ST2's that were on it before. No issues with the Hercules either, put 15k on them after I bought the trailer used and just needed replaced for wear.

I feel like I'm in the minority and have only ever had blowouts with a bad set of Goodyear Marathon's about 10 years ago. Regularly pulling more than 10k per year on various trailers too...But I am particular and willing to spend money on decent trailer tires. (Goodyear, Hercules, Sailun)

X2 Sailun s637s.

That being said, they had a recall on those tires last year and it was a literal fucking nightmare to get them replaced. Took over 5 months for a local dealer to get their hands on non-recalled tires, after switching mine out but giving me 3 out of 5 new tires that were still exposed to the recall.

Despite all that, no issues with the recall tires or the new ones I got as replacements. Not a ton of miles, a few thousand, but with some good weight on them. I'm a fan.

This is a man who has blown out so many trailer tires that he carries 2 spares, a hydraulic floor jack, and an electric impact with him every time he hooks up the trailer :laughing:

I mean...
Aren't you supposed to do that anyway ?

I mean...
I take the impact if I am going very far, much easier than dealing with a lug wrench...
Jack, it depends on if what I am going to pickup might need it, might bring a hydraulic bottle jack, or I might just use the jack out of the vehicle.

Aaron Z

Another vote for Maxxix M8008 ST Radials. Running 205/75r15 load range D on my 7000 lbs jeep hauler at 60psi. I installed them in 2014 and they have maybe 8000 miles on them. Trailer stored outside with tires covered. They are just starting to show some slight dry rot/checking. Took them on a 600 mile trip last weekend with no issues. Will be replacing them with another set of Maxxis M8008 “plus” which I guess is the latest version.

The discount tire hartland brand and tsk contender ttt868 are both junk. We get less than 500 miles out of a single tire. We had decent luck with them for about two years and then I had four of the ttt868 s separate on a single trip. Had warranties so got them replaced and now The tread separates in about 500 miles. If I catch it, no big deal but most the time by the time I feel it, it blows.

My dads trailer has the hartland and he gets a blow out about 500 miles. No warning. We stopped warranting them and have just replaced with as they go. I plan to switch to Goodyear or something.

And we aren’t overloaded and are under the speed rating. Tires are literal junk. Think we are up to 12-15 blowouts/flat in the last year-16months.

I mean...

I personally just use the factory jack and lug wrench I keep in my tow rig. I've never had two flats, so one spare has worked well for me. If I were to get a blow out or something else I couldn't plug and reuse in a pinch, I would stop and get another tire at the next opportunity. So far so good :homer:

I personally just use the factory jack and lug wrench I keep in my tow rig. I've never had two flats, so one spare has worked well for me. If I were to get a blow out or something else I couldn't plug and reuse in a pinch, I would stop and get another tire at the next opportunity. So far so good :homer:

Tell me you have never crossed the country towing heavy without telling me you have never crossed the country towing heavy.

If you blow a tire on a loaded 20000lbs trailer at 10PM, good luck with your factory jack and lug wrench. And then you can't replace your tire before tire shops are open the next day, provided that they have load range G or higher trailer tires in stock, which they never do.

Seriously, I have NEVER encountered a tire shop with good trailer tire options, ever.

Tell me you have never crossed the country towing heavy without telling me you have never crossed the country towing heavy.

If you blow a tire on a loaded 20000lbs trailer at 10PM, good luck with your factory jack and lug wrench. And then you can't replace your tire before tire shops are open the next day, provided that they have load range G or higher trailer tires in stock, which they never do.
Your 20k trailer probably has at least four tires. Get creative, get the dead one off and then keep doing what you were doing before but slower. :flipoff2:
Seriously, I have NEVER encountered a tire shop with good options, ever.
Fixed :flipoff2:

Your 20k trailer probably has at least four tires. Get creative, get the dead one off and then keep doing what you were doing before but slower. :flipoff2:
So you suggest I finish my cross country trip at 40mph, overloading the only axle left while 150k$ worth of rigs are on the trailer ?
When and how do I get new trailer tires ?

I'd rather have an impact, proper jack and 2 to 3 spares.

Top Back Refresh