What's new

Trailer Tips, Tricks and things you would change.

So what’s the preferred way of running new wiring? Looks like it’s now on my to do list. Run it thru pvc that’s strapped frequently to the underside?

So what’s the preferred way of running new wiring? Looks like it’s now on my to do list. Run it thru pvc that’s strapped frequently to the underside?

I just zip tie it occasionally. But tinned marine wire and only use heat shrink connector's.

I've wondered if this would work well. Did you mix the sand with the paint or just sprinkle it on afterwards? I sprinkled the sand on right after brushing on the paint. As you can see in the photos, it does discolor the paint some

I usually buy a gallon of black rust-oleum at a time. Takes about a half gallon to paint my steel deck hauler. I just dump it on the deck and spread it with a roller. I'll grab a couple rattle cans to do the places I can't easily hit with a roller or brush.

Pic? I've wanted to do this too. I'd have to relocate my jack, but that's easy enough. Did you make it very weatherproof? I tried to, but some moisture still gets in I've been afraid that it'd just get loaded with water from tire spray when it's raining.

20210207_084818.jpg

20210207_084755.jpg

That jack has worked just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again

i typically weld tube on to run it through, actually just did a couple hours ago :laughing:

if youre a pimp you run it all through conduit with all the proper connection pieces including the flexible stuff to the brakes :grinpimp: i seen a trailer picture on here or somewhere recently that had it like that :smokin:

Any tricks for plugging a goose neck into the bumper plug? Or just let it hang on the tailgate

I let mine hang on the tailgate, but I taped a hand towel around it where it rubs on the tailgate.

I bought a 10ft extension for mine. It plugs into the existing 7way and i plug the end into the bumper jack. I let it hang on the gate, but there is slack in the bed, so it doesnt move/rub.

I bought a 10ft extension for mine. It plugs into the existing 7way and i plug the end into the bumper jack. I let it hang on the gate, but there is slack in the bed, so it doesnt move/rub.

Similar, mine is wired with a real long plug. Normally coiled on the goose neck if plugging into the bed, leave it loose in the bed if I need to go over the tailgate for the bumper plug.

Ive got a 16' deckover that i 'restored' about 10 years ago now. Basically stripped it down, cleaned/painted, new tires/brakes/wiring etc. This spring i really need to do it again, so im trying to get all this sorted out now so i can start on it in April. 10k trailer with 15" wheels; Im going to step up to 16s and try to stuff a set of 235/80R16 under there & add in a pair of spare tire hoists while im there. Ive got a dumb question though-Has anyone ever experimented with installing shocks on their trailer? I cant see how it would hurt, but not sure that it would help, either.

B191507E-D66D-4C90-BDBD-0BA1123C4D04.jpeg
963D8828-D376-4591-8A4D-D81DC9CABE9A.jpeg
FBB16D9E-150F-4FCE-9423-18B110E13A5F.jpeg
I just rewired my whole trailer. Agree with everyone on the junction box. It would be nice if the junction box (Amazon Special) wiring matched the trailer wire colors but whatever. Added some reverse lights and some deck lights.

I just rewired my whole trailer. Agree with everyone on the junction box. It would be nice if the junction box (Amazon Special) wiring matched the trailer wire colors but whatever. Added some reverse lights and some deck lights.

What storage box is that?

My trailer harness was a bunch of hacked together and mismatched colors. I cut everything out and replaced it with fresh jacketed 7 wire and the color matched the Mictuning junction box I got from Amazon https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Deka/DW04914-1.html

What storage box is that?

My trailer harness was a bunch of hacked together and mismatched colors. I cut everything out and replaced it with fresh jacketed 7 wire and the color matched the Mictuning junction box I got from Amazon https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Deka/DW04914-1.html

That’s the one I used. Maybe I’m just stupid. I thought the standard was brown for marker lights, white ground, yellow left, green right, blue brakes, purple reverse. My junction box was brown for right, green marker, red left, yellow reverse, black 12v+, white ground. Am I just ruhtarded?:homer:

That’s the one I used. Maybe I’m just stupid. Am I just ruhtarded?:homer:
if you have to ask the answer is yes :flipoff2:

There's several """standard""" 7 pin configurations. Sounds like you had a RV wired box but "traditional" trailer scheme. the factory 7 pin plug on my truck followed the RV standard so I stuck with that with the junction box and trailer wiring. I figured worst case I can consult the truck's owner manual for colors if needed for BFE diagnosis.

Click image for larger version Name:	qu138840_800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	315698

Coming into the game late here but 6 or 8 lug axles, I never trailered my rig until I had to go to Maine from CA for UA2018. I needed a trailer and have known a lot of people having hub and tire issues. As I started looking into it so many people put heavy rigs on 5 lug trailers and are way overweight.

Find out how much your rig weighs and have too much trailer, not too little.

anyone have a link to the quick connectors to run the winch wires off your truck batt? I see no reason to keep a battery on two separate trailers when the truck has two already.

Dont like my spare in the sun, so welded in a winch from a Nissan Pathfinder.

I like that that's chain. The cable unit on my BILs toy hauler snapped and dumped his spare out on the highway directly in front of his parents hauling their brand new toy hauler. Even with an emergency swerve it wiped out the passenger side front corner and dented 3 crossmembers upwards as it went under the trailer and over the axles. ~$15k in insurance covered damage I think was the final tally.

That’s the one I used. Maybe I’m just stupid. I thought the standard was brown for marker lights, white ground, yellow left, green right, blue brakes, purple reverse. My junction box was brown for right, green marker, red left, yellow reverse, black 12v+, white ground. Am I just ruhtarded?:homer:

I’ve bought two of them. The wiring is definitely not standard. I didn’t realize there were “alternative” pin outs so I just get to play the guessing game and write it down as I go. I wired my boat trailer with the 7 way plug just so I could have reverse lights.

Anyone run an electric jack? Just curious as to recommended brand. Do you use the truck’s power wire or run a battery? My manual jack location limits what size box I can use on the front. I can’t move the jack forward due to my truck camper hanging over the bed. I prefer not to run a hitch extender so was considering an electric jack. My truck’s power wire is fused for 30 amps.

Anyone run an electric jack? Just curious as to recommended brand. Do you use the truck’s power wire or run a battery? My manual jack location limits what size box I can use on the front. I can’t move the jack forward due to my truck camper hanging over the bed. I prefer not to run a hitch extender so was considering an electric jack. My truck’s power wire is fused for 30 amps.

A lot of the ones I've seen have a 7 pin plug on them and you have to unplug your trailer lights and plug in the jack to use it. If you have the 12v aux wired up on your trailer plug, you could easily hardwire it to that....especially with one of those kick ass junction boxes we're all talking about. :laughing:

The camper we had last year had the usual electric Jack wired to the camper battery. Every damn time, we would crack the joke “3 years later...”. It was slow just waiting for it to get to the ground, so No Load. Motor Head was also pretty big, so it might not leave as much room as you’d like.

Top Back Refresh