What's new

Trailer Refresh

rattlewagon

shitboxin
Member Number
Loc
Northfield Vermont
This was all from spring of 2017. Bought a trailer and it was a little rustier than I had anticipated. 17 years of New England salt was not nice to it. But it had new lights and good deck and "good bones" But it was a good deal, so I got it. Its a 2000 Supra 16'

duvbdVal.jpg

Hangers were a little thin. I was originally told it the trailer just needed paint and two tires...

KZ58Tk3l.jpg

New vs old

dnzuFOdl.jpg

Ubolts...gross

sIlXFUbl.jpg

New Parts

5uCI4XLl.jpg

All 4 leafs packs had the bottom spring broken. Didnt expect that either, the rear two had both bottom leaves cracked.

CB9EO99l.jpg

Last edited:
Then sand and paint.

nzqD8Srl.jpg

D7RmYp7l.jpg

Used the rusty metal primer that goes with this too (thats the red) .

kerTbhrl.jpg

uws5exMl.jpg

ZwBXhUil.jpg

Fresh paint...

tVaKRIwl.jpg

geK1jjAl.jpg

64DXDyul.jpg

PVC pipe to keep the ramps in place.

Tr5OPpTl.jpg

After buying the trailer, parts, and paint I was about 1500 into it at this point.

kh92ahAl.jpg

Last edited:
Also added the tie downs.

O4wZvZ2l.jpg

I used it for 2 years, then spring of 19, the axles needed to be replaced due to rust. My wife said " Just sell it and get a new one" I threw it by the side of the road with a high price to " See if anyone wanted it" and some one bought it within 4 hours. So its now gone, but was a fun project.

Nice work, I did a refresh/axle upgrade on mine a few years back. I swapped out the leaf spring units that kept wearing out shackles, bolts, etc... for a set of torsion springs.
20151031_131416_Trailer_OldAxles.jpg

20151102_120854_Trailer_NewAxles.jpg

20151102_124106_Trailer_NewAxles.jpg

20151104_143618_Trailer_NewAxles.jpg

20151111_130856_Trailer_FTRAxle.jpg

Nice work, I did a refresh/axle upgrade on mine a few years back. I swapped out the leaf spring units that kept wearing out shackles, bolts, etc... for a set of torsion springs.

Tilting deck?

Can you show the hinge mechanism and the lift mechanism (if any)

Last edited:
This was all from spring of 2017. Bought a trailer and it was a little rustier than I had anticipated. 17 years of New England salt was not nice to it. But it had new lights and good deck and "good bones" But it was a good deal, so I got it. Its a 2000 Supra 16'

Nice job, but....you live in galvanized country, not paint country.

Galvanizing is shockingly cheap BTW. There's a galv plant being built a couple hours from me and I am looking forward to giving them some business.

Galvanizing is shockingly cheap BTW. There's a galv plant being built a couple hours from me and I am looking forward to giving them some business.

The catch is that it's not field repairable cheaply (yes they have cold galv in a can but it's $$$ and not as good as hot dip) so don't do it to anything you think you're going to majorly re-work. Whenever I get around to building a custom frame for my Ranger it is getting galvanized so I don't have to worry about it rusting for at least 40yr.

http://www.morryde.com/products/70-heavy-duty-shackle-upgrade-kit

Generic picture but this is some good shit.

Shackles are .5 thick and all the bolts are grease-able.

Bronze bushings to replace the plastic.

One of the better investments on the trailer.

Nice job bringing yours back to life. Didn’t see but did you replace the springs ? Might be a good idea. Learned the hard way 600 miles from home.

Nice job bringing yours back to life. Didn’t see but did you replace the springs ? Might be a good idea. Learned the hard way 600 miles from home.

Yes springs were replaced for sure!

Nice job, but....you live in galvanized country, not paint country.

I agree. but unfortunatly Ive had a paint budget, not a galvanized budget. haha. And the closest place is over 3 hours one way..

Tilting deck?

Can you show the hinge mechanism and the lift mechanism (if any)

In the 4th (next to last) photo just to the right of the left axle, you will see a partial circle opening in the frame and a small hole in the angle I added. That is the hinge point, basically a large pipe/tube hinge. The lift is gravity, the hinge point is forward of center of the tilt section.

Top Back Refresh