What's new

Trail snacks

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
What does everyone like to carry with them for trail snacks.. We are normally never out more than 10-12 hours from camp while riding and that is a really long day in Moab or the like. Midwest riding is all private parks for the most part. We carry granola bars, trail mix and a small Ozark Trail 26qt cooler with drinks in it. Sometimes sandwiches but normally I don't eat much more than snacks on the trails.

Planning for the AZ Peace Trail has me wondering what you guys in the Southwest keep in your rigs in the event that you spend the night on the trail. I'll be traveling with a decent size group (5-6 buggies) but I like to be self sufficient. Relying on someone else to have something I might need has bitten me in the ass before.

You covered it pretty well. But add more chocolate bars. Sometimes Skittles for a quick rush. Salty snacks will help with dehydration. Water about 70* temp. Beer/Soda 40-50* temp. Too cold will mess with ya unless stopped for party..

Three times as much water as I should need, sandwiches if out on the trail all day. Trail mix, jerky, chips, etc. for drive and eat if no time to stop. I think for a trail like the Peace Trail, you will need to plan for multi-overnights with multiple meals. Like to eat a good breakfast and dinner when doing multi-day trails. From what I understand about that trail, you can run it in any stock 4x4.

Three times as much water as I should need, sandwiches if out on the trail all day. Trail mix, jerky, chips, etc. for drive and eat if no time to stop. I think for a trail like the Peace Trail, you will need to plan for multi-overnights with multiple meals. Like to eat a good breakfast and dinner when doing multi-day trails. From what I understand about that trail, you can run it in any stock 4x4.
We plan to go from hotel/town to town for the night but I will have snacks/food/water with me at all times. I plan to carry extra fuel as well. Going to put a roof rack on my RZR for that trip so I can carry a dry bag with clothes up top. might add a sleeping bag JIC

For normal trips - cheese sticks and beef jerky sticks, sometimes I bring some sandwich meat that I wrap around the cheese sticks. I bring some water and a whole bunch of diet beer. For racing we bring way more water than we think we’ll need (usually a gallon), beef jerky and trail mix.

for what you’re doing, how about dehydrated meals that you add boiling water to? Then you’re not worrying about keeping meals cold in a cooler and just need a small burner kit to boil some water. I’ve tried several different kinds and they’re pretty good and filling.

For normal trips - cheese sticks and beef jerky sticks, sometimes I bring some sandwich meat that I wrap around the cheese sticks. I bring some water and a whole bunch of diet beer. For racing we bring way more water than we think we’ll need (usually a gallon), beef jerky and trail mix.

for what you’re doing, how about dehydrated meals that you add boiling water to? Then you’re not worrying about keeping meals cold in a cooler and just need a small burner kit to boil some water. I’ve tried several different kinds and they’re pretty good and filling.
Cheese sticks are a good idea. We have taken them on trail rides before but I forget about them. they are pretty immune to floating around in the cooler when the ice starts melting too. I agree on the water too. In Moab I carry a case of water in the RZR while out on the trails. put 6-8 bottles in the cooler and 20# of ice. As I drink the cold water I add replacements. More ice in the cooler the better is what I have found.

Cheese in those little round sealed wax or cheese sticks, dry salami or other similar, peanut butter in the little containers, squeeze applesauce, Dried Mangos.

I like bananas but they are tough to keep from getting smashed.

Carrots and celery do well in a cooler.

Trail mix is okay but not one of my favs.

We do pretty much the same as everyone else. I will add, we love those sweet and salty granola bars from Nature Valley. Sandwiches or burritos, jerky. I freeze about half a case of bottled spring water and throw it in last before we head out so I don't have shit floating around at the end of the day in nasty ass cooler water.

I don't get many "day trips in" but here's mine...
foil wrapped breakfast burrito (see cookin thread) and manifold!
P\b\j sandwiches
a couple cans of canned corn beef hash for the manifold in case..

Doller Tree sells some bad ass Jamicain Beef Patties.

I wrap them in foil and keep them on the manifold, so freaking good.

The rest has been covered by everyone else.

I like to bring a bag of apples. I only eat 1 or 2 but everyone seems to want one.

I also pack those 99 cent bags of potato chips. The salt helps you stay hydrated.

Pep n ched, snickers, water, pepsi, beer, chips, oreos, mountain house, instant oatmeal. Have an msr pocket rocket stove kit and an msr pump water filter with me always.

Get a whole fried bird from the deli, put it in a gallon ziplock and toss it in the cooler.

A couple peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, jerky or slim Jims along with drinks. No beer.

The line between brave and stupid gets too blurry when I start drinking 😆

We bring a grill and steaks

We bring a grill and steaks
fancy fancy!

I'd feel like I was royalty getting hot dogs off a grill on the trail. lol

Usually I only snack when I am riding. I am like a puppy, if I eat much I have to 💩 :laughing:

fancy fancy!

I'd feel like I was royalty getting hot dogs off a grill on the trail. lol

Usually I only snack when I am riding. I am like a puppy, if I eat much I have to 💩 :laughing:
Just an old Coleman camp grill and marinated meat in a ziplock. It’s not that glorious but easy and fast

Last trip I had probably half a dozen waters, a couple gatorades, 3-4 ritz & pb cracker packs, and 2-3 packs of chocolate pop tarts.

I used maybe half of it, but I figured that would last if we had a bad break that kept us on the trail until late.

PBJs, beef jerky, chips, dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit, lots of water, canned beverages of choice (no alcohol for me so mine are caffeinated).

If I'm camping I usually have freeze dried meals with me and a small propane stove to heat water. As well as a french press and some coffee grounds.

That's about it. I pack pretty simple and bland foods because the last thing I want is to get the shits while in the woods.

Top Back Refresh