What's new

Tractor Help - Glow Plugs not preheating(?).

Alright, dicked around with it for a few minutes, but I'm headed out soon.

No power to that bar that goes across the plugs. Totally dead. Jiggled the wire that bolts down into it, nothing.

It goes into the harness and no idea where it leads to; probably the controller. I'm going to take apart the dash again and do some voltage tests on the controller.

controller runs the relay.

jump the relay pins and see if glow plugs get power. gets power? controller is broken.
could be a failed temp sensor, could be failed controller.
probably controller.

edit:
I'd put the damned relay on a button and just manually glow the fucking thing from now until forever.

controller runs the relay.

jump the relay pins and see if glow plugs get power. gets power? controller is broken.
could be a failed temp sensor, could be failed controller.
probably controller.

edit:
I'd put the damned relay on a button and just manually glow the fucking thing from now until forever.
This,

One one thousand
Two one thousand
Three one thousand
Four one thousand
Five one thousand
Six one thousand
Start - profit.

Used my Kubota this morning and counted how many seconds the glow plug light lit before it was ready to start, it was 6 seconds

This,

One one thousand
Two one thousand
Three one thousand
Four one thousand
Five one thousand
Six one thousand
Start - profit.

Used my Kubota this morning and counted how many seconds the glow plug light lit before it was ready to start, it was 6 seconds
I mean, that's what happens to every piece of farm equipment when the controller fails and someone says it costs $100+ to get another.

a $5 button and some common sense about not melting down glow plugs.

I mean, that's what happens to every piece of farm equipment when the controller fails and someone says it costs $100+ to get another.

We're gonna have a problem... :laughing:

The whole circuit is simple but a delay and push button just flat work. Timers are for fancy pants that can't count.

This must be a JD tractor with all that shit on it, My Kubota just tells you how many seconds to hold the key in the glow plug area based on temp.

Already mentioned but worth mentioning again. My old 1979 new Holland, doesn’t have a timer. You turn the key left to glow plug, count your seconds then turn it right to start. I’ve done that to 7.3 ferd diesels to get rid of the timer.

huh. yea. so jump the controller, flip a switch, wait, and then shut it off. I like that idea a whole lot better. I'll jump it first and see what I get.

Use a momentary switch so you don't need to remember to shut it off/bump it on.
yep, that works too.

I'll grab a 12v battery for now and jump it. see if that is in fact the issue.

are you hearing the relay click? I have kubota that vintage and although is a real tractor, when you half turn the key you can hear that relay click loudly

are you hearing the relay click? I have kubota that vintage and although is a real tractor, when you half turn the key you can hear that relay click loudly
A loud click can also be the fuel solenoid on the pump, just to avoid any possible confusion. My little Kubota has it part of the key switch. Turn back to glow, then start. I like that much better than any fancy controller junk.

Naw, I'm not hearing it.
A loud click can also be the fuel solenoid on the pump, just to avoid any possible confusion. My little Kubota has it part of the key switch. Turn back to glow, then start. I like that much better than any fancy controller junk.
Is that the brass looking thing towards the front of the motor? THere's a rubber boot on hit the clicks forwards when the key is on.

Naw, I'm not hearing it.

Is that the brass looking thing towards the front of the motor? THere's a rubber boot on hit the clicks forwards when the key is on.
Yea that should be your fuel solenoid.

Does you key have a position that turns back, the opposite of start? Even if it does nothing now you can wire it for glow control. The key switches might all be the same.

Yea that should be your fuel solenoid.

Does you key have a position that turns back, the opposite of start? Even if it does nothing now you can wire it for glow control. The key switches might all be the same.
Key doesn't go back.

OFF - RUN - START

Typically you'd turn it to RUN until the glow plug light goes off, turn right to START, then it defaults back to RUN.

I really like the idea of the momentary switch and be done with it. less controllers and shit to deal with.

Key doesn't go back.

OFF - RUN - START

Typically you'd turn it to RUN until the glow plug light goes off, turn right to START, then it defaults back to RUN.

I really like the idea of the momentary switch and be done with it. less controllers and shit to deal with.
So I finally got out and looked at mine today…. This might not be right but it works…. Turn key to run, then turn to start but before it triggers the starter solenoid, glow plug light comes on…. I hold it fir 5 seconds, then all the way to start!!!! I can tell it’s working because less black smoke than doing it with no preheating!!!

yep, that works too.

I'll grab a 12v battery for now and jump it. see if that is in fact the issue.
why do you need another battery?

Just cross the relay's coil pin to the already there 12V source in the socket.
You're trying to test it's circuits and using another battery to bypass it doesn't do any of that.
Then when it works just wire a momentary button to that pin from 12V.

why do you need another battery?

Just cross the relay's coil pin to the already there 12V source in the socket.
You're trying to test it's circuits and using another battery to bypass it doesn't do any of that.
Then when it works just wire a momentary button to that pin from 12V.
Yea, I can do that.

Its tough to picture in my head without it there in front of me. :homer:

this click is up at the dash area on my '01 M6800 and comes from the preheat relay, turn key towards start halfway. mine's shuttle shift, so if I'm starting in really cold (very rare here), I'll leave the shifter in F or R and hold the key to start for 10-20 seconds, then shift to neutral to start

So I finally got out and looked at mine today…. This might not be right but it works…. Turn key to run, then turn to start but before it triggers the starter solenoid, glow plug light comes on…. I hold it fir 5 seconds, then all the way to start!!!! I can tell it’s working because less black smoke than doing it with no preheating!!!
this is correct.

just turning key to run DOES NOT engage preheat. it's a little pressure towards start and you hear the relay click

this click is up at the dash area on my '01 M6800 and comes from the preheat relay, turn key towards start halfway. mine's shuttle shift, so if I'm starting in really cold (very rare here), I'll leave the shifter in F or R and hold the key to start for 10-20 seconds, then shift to neutral to start
I got you, I just didn't want him to hear that fuel solenoid click and think it was the sound of a working relay.

My skid loader has a momentary contact rocker switch for the glow plugs. Hold to a count of 6 and fire it up. Nice and simple

Can’t feed it fast enough.
the local boys I know switched to alcohol fueled motors, so I don't get to see it anymore.

but it was always funny watching them start the most low compression diesel I've ever seen.

3 seconds if 40-60
6 seconds if 0-40
10 seconds if below 0.
never more than 10 seconds.

basic glow plug on a button rules.
my skidloader has a lovely diagram
5sec at whatever, 15 at whatever, 25 at cold

you're thinking 7V int'l glow plugs
proper 12v GPs can be run indefinitely

My skid loader has a momentary contact rocker switch for the glow plugs. Hold to a count of 6 and fire it up. Nice and simple
mine had one of those, but the tabs broke off the back of the switch, so now its got a refrigerator door switch

Top Back Refresh