What's new

Traction Off Road - 17x9 Friction Double Beadlocks

Custom paint matched set of wheels delivered yesterday. Color matched to his 2020 Jeep JL in Sting Grey. Very happy with this set. :grinpimp:

SG1.jpg

Have any plans for more one off patterns like axeltechs? I've got a friend about to build another rig on them and he had hell finding wheels last time.

Have any plans for more one off patterns like axeltechs? I've got a friend about to build another rig on them and he had hell finding wheels last time.

Production? No sir. Custom bolt in centers? Absolutely. I can use these wheel halves and make custom billet centers by machining the stock wheel centers out of the back half.

Production? No sir. Custom bolt in centers? Absolutely. I can use these wheel halves and make custom billet centers by machining the stock wheel centers out of the back half.
I can tell by reading your posts in this thread that you have put a lot of thought into these wheels. :smokin:

:usa:

I want a grey one. How much?

$20 bucks plus the USPS flat rate box to ship it. Or... I'll toss one in with a wheel purchase given a gentleman's agreement that you share Traction Off Road on social media so others can learn about my wheels. :cool:cool

$20 bucks plus the USPS flat rate box to ship it. Or... I'll toss one in with a wheel purchase given a gentleman's agreement that you share Traction Off Road on social media so others can learn about my wheels. :cool:cool
If I could afford to buy new wheels right now, I absolutely would. Especially since they'd fit the tires I just bought. Order on your website for the hats or through here on PayPal or venmo?

Had a few questions regarding what makes my wheel a double beadlock. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so this is it.

The double beadlock goes inside your tire before you mount up your wheel. That fully machined internal insert pinches both the inside and outside bead of the tire making sure the tire doesn't come off the wheel. This insert is machined specifically for this wheel making install simple. There is no way to get it wrong. We take the time to machine the insert so it can't get installed off center causing balancing issues.

Once the insert is inside your tire you simply mount up the wheel. We use at least grade 8 1/2" hardware with triple digit torque numbers so maintenance in the future is almost non existent.

WSE.jpg

Ever had to do a trail repair/tire swap with these wheels?

For my next setup, I'm debating on buying 5 tires but just 4 wheels. Pros: carry less weight/volume and save $500. Con: if a tire gets killed on the trail you would have to swap the wheel.

But with these wheels... Maybe even easier. Leave the wheel on the axle, unbolt the outer ring, slide the dead tire and insert off, swap the insert to the new tire, and reinstall.

Ever had to do a trail repair/tire swap with these wheels?

For my next setup, I'm debating on buying 5 tires but just 4 wheels. Pros: carry less weight/volume and save $500. Con: if a tire gets killed on the trail you would have to swap the wheel.

But with these wheels... Maybe even easier. Leave the wheel on the axle, unbolt the outer ring, slide the dead tire and insert off, swap the insert to the new tire, and reinstall.

Your cons may go away really quick if you invest into a bead breaker tool. Most of them are under $100 bucks and you'll love everything about it with my wheels. They have no safety bead on the barrel so pushing the tire off with the bead breaker tool is simple. This kind works wonders. Much easier with the combo off the vehicle.

Tirepliers.jpg

Sliding the tire off the wheel without some leverage is a task for me. I've jumped on the tire. I've used a rubber mallet. I've tried tire spoons. Most of the time putting the back half of the wheel up off the ground on something and standing 2 people on the tire to put pressure at the bead will work it off with some lube but it will take a bit more time.

Leaving the wheel bolted to the axle is great for the outer ring coming off but getting the tire off the wheel depends on your vehicle. My full bodied JL would be a task unless you could figure up a way to put a 2x4 or something between the vehicle and the tire and figure up a way to put some leverage on the 2x4. Then leaving the wheel bolted up would be awesome. If you're a full tube buggy it should be even easier since you'll have the space for tools.

The negatives for me without a spare wheel is mounting the spare confidently and the tire holds water. If water stands in the tire I always felt like it will rot the thing faster. If you can figure up inside storage I say go for it. I guess it would all depend on how often you kill tires cause I never have issues but know people who kill tires every trip out. :laughing:

Your cons may go away really quick if you invest into a bead breaker tool. Most of them are under $100 bucks and you'll love everything about it with my wheels. They have no safety bead on the barrel so pushing the tire off with the bead breaker tool is simple. This kind works wonders. Much easier with the combo off the vehicle.

Tirepliers.jpg

Sliding the tire off the wheel without some leverage is a task for me. I've jumped on the tire. I've used a rubber mallet. I've tried tire spoons. Most of the time putting the back half of the wheel up off the ground on something and standing 2 people on the tire to put pressure at the bead will work it off with some lube but it will take a bit more time.

Leaving the wheel bolted to the axle is great for the outer ring coming off but getting the tire off the wheel depends on your vehicle. My full bodied JL would be a task unless you could figure up a way to put a 2x4 or something between the vehicle and the tire and figure up a way to put some leverage on the 2x4. Then leaving the wheel bolted up would be awesome. If you're a full tube buggy it should be even easier since you'll have the space for tools.

The negatives for me without a spare wheel is mounting the spare confidently and the tire holds water. If water stands in the tire I always felt like it will rot the thing faster. If you can figure up inside storage I say go for it. I guess it would all depend on how often you kill tires cause I never have issues but know people who kill tires every trip out. :laughing:

All excellent points! I really should get a bead breaker, I've always done the various ghetto methods such as "Hi-Lift under the bumper and hope I don't die" and "drive over the tire and hope I don't break the sidewall or wheel". 😂

What do you think about the Beadbuster? Seems like it either works well with a specific wheel/tire combo, or doesn't.

I'm in the Pacific NorthWET... So your point about moisture is important. And now that I think about it, all the guys who run no spare wheel are in drier climates. My rig is stored indoors but (once it's finally done) will see weekly use and half of that will be rain or snow.

I could always just go the route of a cheaper used spare on a steel wheel if I can find one (39 or 39.5, 12.50-13.50, on a 6x5.5 3.5BS wheel).

I have a bit of time to figure out what I want to do, I might have the rig done by the end of this year and I'm also waiting to see what you come up with for backspacing options. 3.5" would be great for us cheap narrow axle guys. 😁

I have never used the bead buster but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The rim profile of my wheel is very simple. So it would clamp on like it should. I would have to give it a shot to say for certain but I'm 95% sure it will work well. Would be much easier to store.

Working on an install tutorial to show people how simple it can be to mount up your own wheels and tires. :smokin:

Install1.jpg

I'm loving these wheels! Hopefully you won't get too famous and expensive by time I recover from my Cummins swap! I think these would be pimpin on my little ol' Ranger!

Top Back Refresh