What's new

Traction Off Road - 17x9 Friction Double Beadlocks

yeah, I'm not keen on spacers if I can avoid it, and Dookey explained that its too much work.

I'm not keen on all spacers. If you get the kind that is hub-centric on each side I don't see as much issue. Similar to the dually spacers on front axles.

In the future I will have different options for back spacing. I just need to get there. :beer:

Should have made the mold with extra material on the mounting pad. Then you could change off-sets buy machining. A lot of low volume wheels are done that way.

I'm glad you made it over here with the wheels. I've been watching some of the updates on instagram for a while. I hope i can pick up a set for my chevy when it gets a little closer to being done.

Should have made the mold with extra material on the mounting pad. Then you could change off-sets buy machining. A lot of low volume wheels are done that way.

Takes less than an hour to machine the mold to adjust to your theory. But then I have to machine every single wheel for everyone that wants 4.5" backspacing. I have all kinds of good ideas to move forward. I had to start somewhere. As stated earlier... I just have to get there for all the different options I want to offer. :grinpimp:

The next option is 17x12's. :smokin:

I'm glad you made it over here with the wheels. I've been watching some of the updates on instagram for a while. I hope i can pick up a set for my chevy when it gets a little closer to being done.

:beer::beer:

SFF.jpg

Any plan to make SxS double beadlocks? Those would be a hot setup for desert and U4 SxS classes.

I haven't thought about it yet. Tough one for me because I don't SxS. So I'd have to rely on others for testing and what not. At the moment... I'd have to dig into it more before I could say it peaks my interest. I know that industry is exploding.

Not a terrible idea, but then you would end up with the super recessed lug nuts, which I hate. I cant imagine dealing with a stripped lug nut or something on the trail when it's down in a 2" x 3/4" hole.
Takes less than an hour to machine the mold to adjust to your theory. But then I have to machine every single wheel for everyone that wants 4.5" backspacing. I have all kinds of good ideas to move forward. I had to start somewhere. As stated earlier... I just have to get there for all the different options I want to offer. :grinpimp:

The next option is 17x12's. :smokin:

:beer::beer:
Awesome, I know a lot of guys who run big dumb tires for snow and have basically one option for wide double beadlocks, some have had less than stellar quality and even worse customer service.

Would you be able to work off the current main shell and just add 3" to the outer ring and insert?
I haven't thought about it yet. Tough one for me because I don't SxS. So I'd have to rely on others for testing and what not. At the moment... I'd have to dig into it more before I could say it peaks my interest. I know that industry is exploding.
The one thing I noticed is that there is a shit ton of guys making wheels for sxs' s, all the brands we know plus a ton of them we don't. It's crazy how cheap a nice looking 15x7 aluminum beadlock can be had for a sxs. Hair over $100 ea last I looked, which is about what a 15x8 black rock crawler costs these days :homer:

Not a terrible idea, but then you would end up with the super recessed lug nuts, which I hate. I cant imagine dealing with a stripped lug nut or something on the trail when it's down in a 2" x 3/4" hole.

Awesome, I know a lot of guys who run big dumb tires for snow and have basically one option for wide double beadlocks, some have had less than stellar quality and even worse customer service.

Would you be able to work off the current main shell and just add 3" to the outer ring and insert?

The one thing I noticed is that there is a shit ton of guys making wheels for sxs' s, all the brands we know plus a ton of them we don't. It's crazy how cheap a nice looking 15x7 aluminum beadlock can be had for a sxs. Hair over $100 ea last I looked, which is about what a 15x8 black rock crawler costs these days :homer:

When I make a new backspacing option it will be made 100%. Not like an after thought.

For the 17x12's... I will have a whole new outer ring and reuse the back half of the wheel. LIP FOR DAYS!!! :laughing::laughing:

Lots of back spacing like CORR fronts.

Also, not a theory, that is exactly what APP did with the forged center blanks. The OD rolling process is probably almost exactly the same as what they were doing. Granted they only had about .75 difference in offsets.

Kenesis and HRE also got there blanks from APP with similar extra material. It doesn't take shit for time in the lathe to rip off.

I machined a lot of wheels for all 3 companies.

Where are these wheels made?

It depends. I have options in Taiwan, China, Italy, India, and Brazil. My first batch of flow formed wheels was produced in China out a very large OEM wheel manufacturing facility. They are at the top of the game but capacity is an issue now that everything is finally getting back on track. 18 months after starting this wheel I had product to sell. Covid has been rough to get through.

With the state of the world as it is I'm keeping all my options open so the flow formed process may change origination points throughout the years. Depending on raw material costs I had planned to open up a 100% billet line up out of the states for the off road market. I don't just deal with single customers but also supply specific wheels to manufacturers and I'm sure in time I will private label for anyone that wants it. So I keep a line on all options for production.

What does all of that mean? Not much. Considering I'm the guy putting my stamp of approval on everything and the person standing behind all of it. The Friction Double Beadlock is my design. All of my own tooling and you'll only ever deal with me. In Colorado. :smokin:

Last edited:
You need to be a vehicle width over to the left, fun trail.

You already got my size request. :grinpimp:

That's quite an undertaking you've got going on. :eek:

Super sharp product. The buy in is really decent too. I'm bummed I just bought wheels and had tires mounted.

I'm just glad to hear you got a job:flipoff2:

I like the rims. They look good.

What is flow formed?

Super sharp product. The buy in is really decent too. I'm bummed I just bought wheels and had tires mounted.

Thank you. :beer:
I'm just glad to hear you got a job:flipoff2:

I like the rims. They look good.

What is flow formed?
:lmao::lmao:

Covid has been pretty bad. I never really took a break. But have been forced to hurry up and wait. It's been rough but the Colorado scenery has helped keep me entertained. I'm still following your build process.

The flow formed process is like others have shown. Fancy metal spinning will now be what I call it forever. :laughing::laughing:

This is just my opinion, but sometimes it is the little things that count when I do business with a company. Might be worth while to toss in a something like a "trail repair kit" with every order of 4 or more wheels. Maybe a valve stem, o-ring, and new nuts? Just thinking out loud here.

Sharp wheel BTW. :beer:

This is just my opinion, but sometimes it is the little things that count when I do business with a company. Might be worth while to toss in a something like a "trail repair kit" with every order of 4 or more wheels. Maybe a valve stem, o-ring, and new nuts? Just thinking out loud here.

Sharp wheel BTW. :beer:

I put a bunch of thought into this wheel to get something that wasn't so proprietary that you had to source replacement parts through me. I'm using 1/2" hardware that can be sourced anywhere in the world. It's also very reusable unless mistakes happen. I'm betting you already have trail spares in your go bag.

The valve stem is 1/8" NPT. You can find tank valves for it anywhere. If you mess it up on the trail there is enough meat there to drill and tap clear up to 1/2" NPT. The only real particular part is the oring. Even though I suggest replacing it every time just to be sure it is also reusable. I don't like tearing the wheels down anymore than I have to. But if you're cool when you call to place an order I'd be happy to toss in some spares just in case. Just need to mention it during our conversation. I plan to take care of the people who take care of me.:smokin:

I'm hoping people can get it that I built this wheel for everyone to source parts easily so you can get out of a pinch with ease. That's a big benefit in my eyes. :beer:

PS... I have 8x6.5, 8x170, and 5x5 in stock and ready to ship. Most polished wheels ship within 24 business hours. The paint/powder coat takes custom time but even that is turning around quick.

Top Back Refresh