What's new

Tracker grows fuzz on the positive battery post

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
Recurring issue that pre-dates me owning it. Completely stock electronically, no silly lights, stock stereo. This thing corrodes the positive cable to the point it no longer makes contact. When the post is so corroded that the car won’t start the battery still has full voltage. I just clean it up good and the car works good for about a year all the while re-growing the white fur that eventually degrades the cable end the post off the battery.

What causes the growth/corrosion? Is there anything I can do to fix/stop it? Last year I put all new cables and the new battery out of my rzr in it and here it is all regrown with corrosion.
1696AACD-9E4C-4F56-A88D-347AF4220BA1.jpeg
1696AACD-9E4C-4F56-A88D-347AF4220BA1.jpeg

My dad-wagon Ford Freestyle does the same. I hit it with battery terminal cleaner once a month or so. I can't explain it.

It's usually caused by overcharging the battery, check actual voltage while revved up to like 4k rpm

A corrosion inhibitor is required after a good cleaning in combination with a electrolyte dielectric paste.

I had a battery doing that in a Taurus. Cleaned it with water and baking soda and it never happened again.

I had a battery doing that in a Taurus. Cleaned it with water and baking soda and it never happened again.
I have done that and it comes right back. New battery, new cables. I haven’t started pulling fuses with an amp meter hooked up to look for parasitic draws yet. Batteries never dead just growing fur.

what sort of voltage do you read when it's running? Is it maybe over-charging?

Top Back Refresh