What's new

Track Days (HPDE)

just curious
what is a normal tire budget per season?
My mustang will go thru a set of 200TW tires about every 6 track days. I normally do about one per month + a few time trials. so for the past few years I have averaged about 3 sets per year. Another expense is brake pads, especially on a heavy car, I will go thru pads about as often as tires. with my car I run a Hawk DTC30 in the rear and DTC60 in front and only get 4 days on rear pads, and 5 to 6 on front. This is at Carolina motorsports park which is known for heavy tire and brake pad usage.

Mah track junk.

cb3bfcf61d5fde5f834d1d0848487e7156dfb134-14-01.jpeg

PXL_20210820_133346912.MP-01.jpeg

"You WILL be passed by a Miata."
Usually I say during the drivers meeting, "If you see this flag, that means there is a faster car behind you. You may not agree with it, but an impartial third party has deemed it so. When you give them a point by, lift!. When you are being passed by a Miata, not only lift, but also brake...you may not think they are trying to take the point by, but they are. Don't worry, as soon as you get to the next turn, they will be out of your way.". Always fun with the 100hp guys.

Got any rough numbers?

3k import beater

10k salvage title mustang or c6 corvette

Then what? $
I was mostly referring to pricing of the event itself. A “Track day” can easily run $250+, but autocross can be as inexpensive as $35 for the day. Less time on the “track” but just as much fun.

In autocross there’s a ton of different categories so everyone has a spot. You also see everything there from miatas, Camaro, mustang, charger, vettes, Porsche, vipers, Tesla’s, you name it.

As far as the car, I wouldn’t recommend a “heavy” car like the mustang or Camaro. They consume more fuel and chew more brakes and tires. Easiest way in is a Miata or Mini Cooper. Small, light, does everything “good” straight out of the box. Toss good tires on and run it. Most people run their daily driven car and just change tires for the event.

Usually I say during the drivers meeting, "If you see this flag, that means there is a faster car behind you. You may not agree with it, but an impartial third party has deemed it so. When you give them a point by, lift!. When you are being passed by a Miata, not only lift, but also brake...you may not think they are trying to take the point by, but they are. Don't worry, as soon as you get to the next turn, they will be out of your way.". Always fun with the 100hp guys.
Casey Folks used to say, "He's already proven he's faster than you, when he caught you. Let him by." Maybe he'll overdrive the truck and brake or crash or whatever, run your own race. Danica Patrick should have heeded that advice.

Casey Folks used to say, "He's already proven he's faster than you, when he caught you. Let him by." Maybe he'll overdrive the truck and brake or crash or whatever, run your own race. Danica Patrick should have heeded that advice.
running practice in MX
I loved running with the fast guys, when they pass you, .......right there is an opporunity to learn something, what is their line, brake points, throttle on points...
or it is an spot on the track that your ego gets crushed, some really:grinpimp: struggle with that

Lol..... blue flag with a yellow stripe = there is a race happening and you're not in it.

I am about 2 years into hdpe in the mid-atlantic. Mostly run the 2 tracks at njmp but i really like Watkins Glen. The roll back on the repete makes for a great toter.

Laps at njmp thunderbolt

In the pitts at watkins

20220616_120729.jpg

What's a good DD/ autocross/ HDPE car these days? $5-7k budget

Miata is a little too impractical for me. Couple '07-08ish vintage mazdaspeed 3's have caught my eye- I'm familiar with the mzr/duratec platform but not sure about fwd. BRZ/AE86 is interesting but a little pricey and not sure about the powerplant. 60 mi round trip commute, mainly highway with fun backroad options if I feel like it.

It has been 15+ years since I've done an autocross event. Last car I raced was an '87 325is BMW and it was a ton of fun.

Miata is a little too impractical for me. Couple '07-08ish vintage mazdaspeed 3's have caught my eye- I'm familiar with the mzr/duratec platform but not sure about fwd. BRZ/AE86 is interesting but a little pricey and not sure about the powerplant. 60 mi round trip commute, mainly highway with fun backroad options if I feel like it.

It has been 15+ years since I've done an autocross event. Last car I raced was an '87 325is BMW and it was a ton of fun.
8th Gen Civic SI usually gets my vote. Super practical car. Already has the K series motor. The 4door only weighs like 80lbs more than the coupe. Honda reliability. FWD is a blast...lift off oversteer is a hilarious amount of fun.

64 falcon thing with a duratec and turbo

plus sticky tires

I am about 2 years into hdpe in the mid-atlantic. Mostly run the 2 tracks at njmp but i really like Watkins Glen. The roll back on the repete makes for a great toter.

Laps at njmp thunderbolt

In the pitts at watkins

20220616_120729.jpg

Hey Gavin! Re-Pete is looking good. 05? 06? on the 911?

Starlet with 20v 4age or 13b. Fucking only thing that could get close to the cart times in solo2.

That is not much of a budget considering the prices out there.

Now if you are handy you can turn that to your favor. Find something needing help and make it your ride.

MS3 are known to eat transmissions, sure a properly built one with sensible mods will keep it alive much longer vs one turned up to 10.

Civic SI Priest suggested is solid, lots of aftermarket support for all things Honda.

Perhaps 1st gen BRZ / Scion FRS, Focus SVT (if one can be located), Celica GT-S are worthy of a notion - decent cars with potential.

-Mini Cooper S. Just avoid the R56s with the Prince engine.
-Bmw 1 series.

Although the civic is definitely a good shout.

-Mini Cooper S. Just avoid the R56s with the Prince engine.
-Bmw 1 series.

Although the civic is definitely a good shout.
I loved my R53 Mini, but I don't recommend it. German parts prices with limited available. Super fun car, but not cheap to track/autocross compared to what else is in that class.

I loved my R53 Mini, but I don't recommend it. German parts prices with limited available. Super fun car, but not cheap to track/autocross compared to what else is in that class.
The 53s are pretty cheap over here as are the parts. I'd dearly love to have another, mine was an absolute hoot to drive.

The 53s are pretty cheap over here as are the parts. I'd dearly love to have another, mine was an absolute hoot to drive.
Agreed. I want to have another one in the stable at some point. Such a great chassis and so much fun to drive. The mistake I made with mine is that I over built it for the street. It was fun on track, but the ride was too harsh to deal with on our crap roads. I always keep my eyes open for them.

Hey Gavin! Re-Pete is looking good. 05? 06? on the 911?
Its actually Aaron, the other guy that was in the trip in the red yj. We still share the repete. He is rocking his ls miata but u cant get him to put it on the track. Ill let him know u said hi.

Its actually Aaron, the other guy that was in the trip in the red yj. We still share the repete. He is rocking his ls miata but u cant get him to put it on the track. Ill let him know u said hi.
Rog.

Glad to see you guys are still hanging out.

Keep us posted on the 911 results.

Random thought. Kicking around a jr cart for my oldest to learn on. I see them used between 1-10k but seems like under 3k will get a mechanically sound jr cart. Does this sound about right? Have a friend that has offered to take him under his wing as it’s usually easier to get them to listen to others vs their parents. Looking for small power but good tires and brakes. Teach him to drive before he gets power.

Thoughts?

Rog.

Glad to see you guys are still hanging out.

Keep us posted on the 911 results.
Ill be out at njmp thunderbolt with Motorsport Enthusist on Labor day. Its usually crowded that monday so it will be a lot of traffic. They have 5 or 6 more events this year if u google them.

Running an autox for the first time tomor at the philly sports complex with scca too.

We r also looking a x-country trip to sand hollow and maybe vegas area in '24 if u want to join us?

Top Back Refresh