What's new

Toyota Tranny to Atlas

Dirtyjed

Samurai Ewok
Member Number
Loc
OV
Sick of breaking tcase bits and really want to go Atlas but also want to retain manual tranny. Talked to AA yesterday and there's no way option to go from my R151 to 4 speed Atlas, but I remember something about using AX15 output on an R series tranny but can't find that info anymore.
Anyone running this set up? Or would it be better to find a Tacoma tranny (W59) and just go from there?
​Already running a 2RZ.

What years on the 15?
I'm definitely not gonna butcher the 151, plan on using it in a 4runner project.

What years on the 15?
I'm definitely not gonna butcher the 151, plan on using it in a 4runner project.

All of the years? Virtually any 90s model jeep with the 4.0L had it.

R150 vs Ax15 input and a AX15 with a r150 input and turbo bell.
IMG_37121.jpg
IMG_37141(1).jpg

Last edited:
Ive got a 90s AX15, 98 W59 and a 87 22RET auto trans sitting out here. If you need any of them PM me

Fuck that manual. AW4 for the crawler win.

I've looked into this a little, not to difficult to go to a 2rz. Maybe when I build an actual buggy, for now I'm leaning towards the W59 cuz I'm lazy.

How else do you get down the fire road to the next trail?

Shift out of low range :flipoff2:

Seriously though, what kind of axle gearing are you running to want overdrive with your 39s in the dirt? Even with 5.38s and no overdrive, at 75 MPH you are only going to be spinning 3,476 RPM. The overdrive certainly doesn't hurt, and for something you cruise regularly on the highway you would want overdrive, but I don't see much benefit on a dedicated rock buggy.

I usually stay in 4wd when bombing fire roads cuz rally car and rarely hit 5th gear. Hoping forced induction will change that.

I've looked into this a little, not to difficult to go to a 2rz. Maybe when I build an actual buggy, for now I'm leaning towards the W59 cuz I'm lazy.

After 3 manual trucks my next one will be auto. At 40 years old I could give a fuck less about shifting gears.

816F6510-E01F-43A0-A852-43EC89FB3F99.gif

Pulled the trigger on a 4 speed and adapter to W59. This way I can take my time to learn about auto unicorn magic and talk myself into a full chassis buggy.
Looking for a W59 4wd in the Sacramento area.

I ditched my R151 and Toyota Duals when I swapped in the one tons. I was skeptical about the Auto as well but did the swap and wouldn't change a thing. Selling that just about paid for my Atlas.
A340/AA5710/Atlas II 4.3. Just wished I would have got a 4 speed

Looks like they make an adapter for R150F now

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...kit-23-spline/

Also saw one for W59
https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...kit-26-spline/

Makes things easier.

fwiw a r151 tail housing bolts right up(so does the bell housing) to a r150 so in theory he could put a r150 tail housing on his r151 and us that adapter to go to an atlas, easy peasy

i used to run a r150 in my buggy with a r151 bell and tail housing to mate it up to the 22r/t and the 23 spline t-case

edit another whoops for the day :homer: the link is for a 96+ r150 not the older 3.0 r150

Last edited:
W59 to 4 speed 2.0
200% positive when I go to a full chassis build I'm gonna do an auto.
300% I'll be flogging my current drive train at the Hammers these next few days.

20201228_130323.jpg

It's actually 5ish" shorter than my current set up.
looking forward to rear dig steer though :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh