What's new

Toyota hub cone washer taper

jemarshall64

Dumbshit
Member Number
Loc
Castle Rock
I drug the buggy down to Fordyce last week for a test/shakedown run. One issue that cam up is that the rear hubs would not stay tight and leaked. It has a set of the RS aluminum full float hubs on the rear axle. There are only 3 5/16 cap bolt holding the center splined hub on, and they will not stay tight. On the hub there are 9 lobes. 3 are countersunk for 5/16 bolts, 3 are threaded for jacking bolts, and three are blank. One buddy of mine tossed out to tapper the holes and use toyota locking hub cone washers on it. I am thinking of giving that a try, nd also drilling the 3 blank lobes for studs and cones also. My question is, is what is the taper of the hub cones on the toyota hubs? I can find everything about the steering arms being 34.7 deg, but I am not digging up the deg of the hub cones. I am "assuming" that its the same, just smaller, but I am not going to go off on an assumption. Anybody know for sure what the taper is?

115913145_806498793215402_4051142386686194236_n.jpg

normal_hub spindles 025.jpg

Toyota guys can't keep those bolts tight either :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Have you called ruffstuff to see what they say?

I have never had issues with any of the cones or studs on my Yota. That being said, that's not the case if you run warn hubs as they don't use the cones and get loose like crazy just like OP's troubles.

I had many issues with Warn's loosening until I got smart and went back to Aisins and cone washers.

OP, it may be in the Bible sticky. I'm seeming to recall the cones being 30*.

I don't know if I explained it wrong, or your reading it wrong...:flipoff2:

It uses 3 5/16 cap screws to hold the grey section to the black section, I want to cut the counter sink holes for the cap screws to a taper so I can use studs with the cone washers that are used with the aisin hubs. I am trying to verify the taper angle to cut them to.

The pic of the hub above doesn't have all the parts on it, there is another piece that bolts to the face for the wheel studs, and the grey piece is set into it also.

I talked to RS about them several months ago, but I haven't tried to get in touch with them about them again since I got back, busy trying to build the new sho .

I have never had issues with any of the cones or studs on my Yota. That being said, that's not the case if you run warn hubs as they don't use the cones and get loose like crazy just like OP's troubles.

I had many issues with Warn's loosening until I got smart and went back to Aisins and cone washers.

OP, it may be in the Bible sticky. I'm seeming to recall the cones being 30*.

Did the bible get brought over from the other place?

Top Back Refresh