What's new

Toyota build round #4

85dhor

Member Number
Been about 9-10 years since I built myself a rig.

First pic is the rig I snagged for 1200 running and driving and the second is of my old rig which some of you may remember from the pirate days

Old rig had limitations as far as toyota cases, and a few other little things I didn’t like nor have done.

Plans for this one will be basically the same rig with a few upgrades:
-89 extra cab
-86 2wd ex cab long bed frame
-‘97 3rz that will be boosted
-w59 5 spd
-4spd 3:8 atlas with toy flanges
-78 Sno-fighter Ford 60 filled with Yukon 35 spline shafts and superjoints, 5:38’s, Detroit, artec truss/ram mount, skys double sheer
-97 sterling 10.25, disc conversion, 5:38’s, grizzly locker
-3 link front
-63’s in rear
-42 mtrs on locks for street snow
-39 reds on locks for rocks
-double bob/ dove front and rear
-boatsided
-cage
Few other things I know I’m forgetting but you get the idea.

I have put about 3 weeks into it so far with work and side jobs taking most of my time so this will be sort of a photo dump to catch up to present status.

6BD35F8F-8BF9-47D2-9504-611E5C0295E1.jpeg

BFA17031-4032-40F8-8782-43248A65506A.jpeg

Can’t seem to figure out this pic loading stuff. Any tips would be appreciated. Try to upload directly from phone and it says error..

You can change the size of the photos after posted. I didn’t know you wheeled :lmao:

edit: bad ass parts list. My next build is going to be similar. I found a 69 patrol and it will be loaded with Chevy drivetrain. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Gonna give the photo shit another try. Talked with stubs and he pointed me on how to post them etc and also the link on this page explaining. I think I still fail.
I’ll try to get more pics loaded but as of now boatsides are on, rz is mounted, rear suspension is done, gonna get to doing front suspension and shit next week and see what happens
Click image for larger version Name:	4512FC95-1D23-4C5C-AF0B-3F962AFD4846.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	157.5 KB ID:	349763

Whatcha thinking cage wise?
Jungle gym or???

not 100% sure. Similar to the old one but I’ve been contemplating a hybrid interior/bed cage but I don’t want to completely destroy the thing especially with our shit weather all the time

I'm a fan of hybrids, lots of function without looking stupid.

My old 4runner, had an internal b pillar hoop that was tied in through the roof.

20180526_080222.jpg

Here is my buddies truck I did. B pillar was sunk into the body to keep it from hanging up on shit.

IMG_20200416_113516.jpg

IMG_20200416_113527.jpg

IMG_20200403_192232.jpg

I'm a fan of hybrids, lots of function without looking stupid.

My old 4runner, had an internal b pillar hoop that was tied in through the roof.

Here is my buddies truck I did. B pillar was sunk into the body to keep it from hanging up on shit.

was thinking of doing similar, keep the weather out for sure. But shove tubeall the way through.

this is the last rig I built for a buddy, was thinking of doing similar, has full interior and it pops out right above window but I’m leaning more towards a exo with fender hidddn and bed part stuffed in also.
03D7EFF9-C18D-4055-856F-E1DA3E39EC88.jpeg

B1ECE7BE-3096-4DA1-A634-76A33C090A07.jpeg

What are the plans for boosting the RZ? Stock ECM, 7lbs or so...Or aftermarket ECM and more boost?

What are the plans for boosting the RZ? Stock ECM, 7lbs or so...Or aftermarket ECM and more boost?

6-7 lbs and may throw some pink top injectors in but 6-7 lbs is fairly safe with factory fuel and ecu

yep doing the same here on a 2rz. Any thought on your Turbo? I ended up getting a Rev9 T3/T4 57mm trying to save a little cash on the front end.

not too sure on that I have a few turbos at the house some with built in waste gate some without gonna see which one fits decently otherwise I’ll just do a chyyna one off eBay or something out of the junkyard off a Volvo etc

Motors all in and ready to be hooked up. Onto cutting front frame rails from motor mounts forward off and then get started on front tube section
B011BA81-35C7-4E4B-AB59-909EF300C92C.jpeg

Well it was either the silver bullets getting to me last night or something but I realized why a lot of people don’t like the artec truss system. Trying to figure out how to gain a lot more for full bump since this is not great at all. Contemplating notching the truss the width of the oil pan in Kreder to stuff the axle up another 3-4” to sit in a good spot for full bump. Also realized I gotta ditch the idea of a 3 link. I don’t see any possible way to get a decent setup panhard. So it’s looking like I’ll now be doing a 4 link in the front..
364CF8A9-95CB-4BBF-8888-D4D3D6EBB4D8.jpeg
E8A588F5-49EB-438A-888C-13C094CF62D3.jpeg

429EC2C7-EB99-4F63-B078-CC4059A575DC.jpeg

This is why many people push the axle out in front of the engine. But I also agree, the artec stuff is over rated. It does save a ton of time though.

This is why many people push the axle out in front of the engine. But I also agree, the artec stuff is over rated. It does save a ton of time though.

i got it for next to nothing brand new and it’s specific for the 78-79 Ford 60 so said why not. I think I came to the conclusion of lifting the motor around an inch. And notching the top of truss down about 2-3” and that will gain me quite a bit of stuffage

Well it was either the silver bullets getting to me last night or something but I realized why a lot of people don’t like the artec truss system. Trying to figure out how to gain a lot more for full bump since this is not great at all. Contemplating notching the truss the width of the oil pan in Kreder to stuff the axle up another 3-4” to sit in a good spot for full bump. Also realized I gotta ditch the idea of a 3 link. I don’t see any possible way to get a decent setup panhard. So it’s looking like I’ll now be doing a 4 link in the front..

so i had the same issue with my artec this is how i fixed it. kinda painful i cut off before the engine mount and raised the frame almost 6 inches sucked.... but cool now

IMG_3048.png

IMG_3047.png

IMG_3049.png

Top Back Refresh