What's new

Toyota 8.75 Axle Tech

Toy4rnr

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WA
Haven't seen any tech on this axle yet so thought I would start a thread, have done some searching and haven't come up with much all in one spot. Below is what I have found from searching on the internet the last few days, if anyone else has any details or corrections post it up.

2016+ Tacoma TRD Off-road or Manual transmission rear axle, 4WD models only.
Axle codes: BD22A (non locking) BD22AN (locking)
Axle Tube Specs: 3.14" Diameter, 3/16" wall
Axle Width : 65.6" WMS to WMS width. (per Fusion4x4 fabricated rears, OEM selection has 65.6")
Ring gear dia. 8.75"
Pinion spline ct. 34 - 1.77" dia
Axle spline ct. 32 - 1.37" dia Semi-Float
Ring gear bolt ct. 12
Oil capacity 4.08 qts. of 75w-85
Brake line Info: 3/16 line, M10 x 1.0 (looks like older vehicle lines will work here)
Bolt Pattern 6x5.5
No carrier break
No carrier bearing girdle.
Aftermarket ratios available 4.88 and 5.29 (from what I have found)
Aftermarket lockers: Eaton Elocker - EAT14235, ARB - ARBRD232
Factory locker: Internal electric type similar to Eaton (magnetic) direct lock type so should stay locked forwards and backwards. (P/N: 41303-0K010 for whole third assembly)
Manufacturer parent company is GKN Driveline which also makes the factory lockers for the Jeep JK Rubicon.

Information on wiring factory locker. Looks easy, just need resistors and a diode.

Some information I have found that I cannot verify, but looks to be true from research.

Pinion flange is same pattern as the other 8" axles so shouldn't need a different flange or to drill the factory one to swap into an older vehicle.

My buddy has a 2020 TRD Off-road, I might have to go get a bunch of measurements and such off his truck one day. This is an interesting axle because it's sort of an in the middle axle that would be a decent swap for those who want width and a little more beef, but don't have the means or need to go to tons.

Last edited:
I believe that the 98+ cruiser rear were the same 32 spline 1.37" diameter. Seems like a pretty decent upgrade over the 30 spline.

I believe that the 98+ cruiser rear were the same 32 spline 1.37" diameter. Seems like a pretty decent upgrade over the 30 spline.
Yeah that is what I recall also (100 series/LX470/2007+ 4.6L Tundra). From my understanding all are semi float and 5 lug. The toy is a 6 lug semi float. I am actually entertaining the idea of a LX470 diff, 32 spline diamond. Can run mini truck spindles and also get FF and disk brakes. Not much options out for this newer 8.75 axle yet though so your stuck with SF from what I have seen. Disk conversion is about $1300 so after that and getting the axle you're basically at a diamond axle so maybe in the future these axles might be good candidates for junkyard swaps.

True, once you get into fabricated housings, cost, strength potential, parts availability, etc seem to trend toward the Ford 9" as the best option.

I asked in the FAQ thread but no response about whether these might fit into the 8 or 8.2/8.4 whatever housings. For the fjc/4rnr/gx lineup it may open up a way to get stock 4.30s (and a potential strength bump) from a 16+ v6 manual taco.

True, once you get into fabricated housings, cost, strength potential, parts availability, etc seem to trend toward the Ford 9" as the best option.

I asked in the FAQ thread but no response about whether these might fit into the 8 or 8.2/8.4 whatever housings. For the fjc/4rnr/gx lineup it may open up a way to get stock 4.30s (and a potential strength bump) from a 16+ v6 manual taco.

Yeah that is one concern about the 9.5 LC route is part availability, specifically aftermarket gears, I believe Nitro is the only one who makes the 32 spline 4.88 gear set for the big gear 9.5 and its an expensive set. Everything else would be mini truck and since its custom it would need custom RCV's. If this 8.75 was FF it would be a no brainer for my scenario, but drum and SF is meh lol. My buddy said his 2020 offroad rear measures about 65-66. He didn't take the wheels off and I am assuming there is deviation due to how he had to measure, so I am leaving that as sort of an unknown still. I don't really plan on going bigger than 37s ever, but a supercharger down the road might start hurting that poor elocked 8" i have out back that has wheel spacers lmfao.

As for the housings, I don't think they have the same bolt pattern, might be able to shove one into an 8.2/8.4 housing with some clearnancing. Something I might look into as I entertain this axle again knowing a Diamond is likely going to destroy my wallet.

Found the width, tube specs and looked into GKN some more, all updated in OP. At this point I think I might go with this axle for my rear over the mega coin diamond. Might be a few months before I get one in the garage so if anyone happens upon one before then post it up, otherwise I'll update when/if I ever get around to taking on the rear 4 link on my rig.

Top Back Refresh