What's new

Tortilla soup

ScottRS

Not @Rockstomper today
Member Number
Loc
Firestone, CO
No idea why this is called tortilla soup, as it doesn't contain tortillas, nor can you eat soup with a tortilla, but... it's tasty and an easy crockpot thing. This one is my wife's, she got it from a neighbor, it's been mutilated a couple times and the directions aren't entirely coherent any more, sorry.

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chiles
1 package frozen corn
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 can enchilada sauce
2 whole chicken breasts
1 cup shredded cheese (monterey jack suggested)

Melt butter, sautee onions and peppers
Add flour, remove from heat
Add chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk
Return to heat
Add enchilada sauce and rest of milk

In crockpot, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, put chicken breasts on top. Pour sauce over top, cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours. When done, shred chicken, add cheese (we leave the cheese out if I'm home as it disagrees with me), give the cheese time to melt, and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure you could get lazy about it and not bother with the sautee-ing of the chopped veggies, just throw it all in a crockpot and ignore for hours, then throw the cheese on top, and it'd still be pretty good.

Anyway, cooked down this ends up somewhere between a soup and a thin chili and it's pretty good stuff. Usually my wife puts it together in the crockpot in the morning and it's ready to go about 5.

Wife makes this or close to it in the pressure cooker, takes about an hour

Top Back Refresh