What's new

top shift twin stick DIY

docj88

'Splain this to me again
Member Number
Loc
Texas!!
Yes, I know it would be much simpler to just buy the twin stick shifter, but I'm hard headed, cheap, and I like a good challenge. The challenge is that I have little more than a grinder, a welding machine (MIG and TIG). The working plan is to use 1/8 or 3/16 as a plate to bolt to the t-case and build off of that. I will make a square box out of 1/8x1" flat bar as a riser box with a hole drilled for a hinge pin (most likely a 3/8" bolt all the way through with a nut on the other side). For the shifters themselves, I plan to use some 3/4,1/1" flat bar with some washers as spacers and bushings to hold them straight. I will cut another plate to go on top with slots for the shifters, and then use something like a tractor inner tube for some rubber to make a boot. The plan is then to make some linkages to move the shifters forward and away from the bench seat.

Am I off my rocker here? It doesn't seem to be that difficult. The main challenge is gonna be the profile of the shifter ends that contacts the rails, and making sure that the hinge pin is at the right height.

I memory serves....:rolleyes:
I think someone did one on the "other" board...

but carry on, post details

It’s not difficult just time consuming. Stick to a plan and go from there. If not you’ll get overwhelmed. Start with the base. I’m doing the same thing with the transfer case ebrake I’m building.

I'd use something besides mild steel for the pieces that actually engage the shift rails, there is a lot of force on those little peckers.

I'd use something besides mild steel for the pieces that actually engage the shift rails, there is a lot of force on those little peckers.

A spare Toyota leaf spring would be perfect to use being high carbon. :smokin:

There’s a way to do it with the factory shifter and base. I’ve done it a couple times but I don’t have pics. Can probably make one soon as I’m home. All you gotta do is cut off the finger. Then split the ball, drill cross hole all the way through where the pins are and weld two new fingers on with a washer between the balls for space difference. Then sticks of your choice. I’ll make one later and post up a few pics. Way easier then making plates and hinges etc.

There’s a way to do it with the factory shifter and base. I’ve done it a couple times but I don’t have pics. Can probably make one soon as I’m home. All you gotta do is cut off the finger. Then split the ball, drill cross hole all the way through where the pins are and weld two new fingers on with a washer between the balls for space difference. Then sticks of your choice. I’ll make one later and post up a few pics. Way easier then making plates and hinges etc.

that is genius... Sending you a PM..

I'd like to see pictures when you get around to it.

-DuckTape

Top Back Refresh