What's new

Tool belts

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
i have a cheapish leather tool belt for framing. leather pouches but nylon belt. problem is when I load it up with nails, hammer, tape and other stuff I am having a helluva time keeping it up especially in the winter if I am wearing insulated bibs.. I have old man butt and it slides down constantly unless I cinch it down tight enough to be uncomfortable after a while. So I am looking at new tool belts with suspenders. I prefer leather but the options are somewhat limited vs textile materials.

What are you guys that are in the trades using? Speed square pocket is a bonus but not mandatory really. Leather or the synthetic cloth? Any brands to look for?

currently have the style with the pockets in front apron style. if you use the style with the pockets to the sides saddle bags style how do you like it?

Yea trash those bags and get some real ones:laughing:

Leather is heavy

Occidentals were the only leather bags I ever saw. Always wanted them but my CLC's made me the same money, and held up just fine. Always saw more folks with CLC's than anything else.

Theres a slot between the inner and outter bag on most tool bags, that a speed square slips into.

currently have the style with the pockets in front apron style. if you use the style with the pockets to the sides saddle bags style how do you like it?

You wont see many folks working with that apron style. Bags hanging to the side are the only way to go IMO

If you dont get the ox's get something like this and be done with it. From the sounds of it, It will be more bag than you will ever need

I'm running an older version of the synthetic DeWalt bags. I don't wear them that often, but gave up bags without suspenders a long time ago. My only complaint it the hammer hook is kind of low, so a long-handled framing hammer bangs the back of my calves when walking. A shorter hammer is fine.

I added on the Kuny suspenders... back when i had to wear a damn toolbelt.

Thing is it just transfers the weight to your shoulders and fucks your back a whole new way. In summary, keep it light as possible, or lose it entirely.

thankfully i am not a wood butcher by trade. this is just a side gig so that is the reason for the cheap belt the first go around. but I got real tired of stopping to adjust my belt cuz it was sliding off my hips with a pouch of screws or nails and a hammer and impact driver hanging off of it.

I bought some occidental pouches because they make a lefty setup. It is very nice but its a framer rig, doing rough carpentry it's just about perfect. For other jobs I have the cheapest nylon belt ever, it's great for jobs where all I need is a tape, 2-3 tools, and lots of fasteners.

If I wasn't a lefty I would buy an occidental leather belt and suspenders and whatever side pouches looked close to what I want. Swap out your dominant hand side based on the job.

They used to have a "custom shop" call em and see?!
Love my trimmer bags, glad I aint using them :smokin:

I always used the nylon bags (2) with a independent belt, wider the better on the belt it doesn't hurt so much when things are loaded down
1698304179012.png

with independent metal hammer loop (not really needed, but I liked the flexibility)

1698304082291.png

that let me slide things around depending to what was going on that day, sometimes to the side, but can turn one to your back if you are working concrete forms or something, or just plain ditch one if I needed to

suspenders for the old man butt,

you can spend a lot of money on a tool bag set up. I always thought that my way was a good bang for the buck

I ordered a CLC framer rig.. about 100 shipped.. should be here today

love to hear your review..

Do you use a lot of cordless drill/impact hanging off your belt?
i normally have a 1/4" Dewalt 20v impact on my belt when I am doing the tin on sheds. supposed to be delivered today.

This is the one I ordered.

That'll work fine. Dont go try an fill the bags all the way up. Thats what makes 'em heavy :flipoff2:

Get a 12v driver if you do any amount of overhead work it’s a lifesaver.

Get a 12v driver if you do any amount of overhead work it’s a lifesaver.
i use the 1.5 and 2 ah batteries in the impact just to cut down on weight. i have two of each so they can charge while I am running one down.

I love my occidentals. Try suspenders to keep them up, even the cheap home depot ones will make a huge difference

Top Back Refresh