What's new

Too much balance weight?????

Andrew

Resident Redneck
Member Number
Found a set of 315/75-16s for sale semi local, but it seems like there is a shit ton of weight to get it balanced. Does this look right??

photo14073.jpg

:laughing:
He has a fair price on the set ($500). Im looking for a set for the YJ for mall crawling and such.

Im not sure that much weight is usual though.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot for any name brand radial tire.

I had 35" BFG's on the same wheels that may have had more weight than that. They had the stick-on weights on the inside of the rim, so it's hard to say apples to apples.

Big tires are heavy. Shouldn't be a surprise it takes a lot of weight to balance them.

especially big tires and smaller rims. The effect of the added weight has less impact. That aside, the tire tech should have busted the tire back apart and spun it 180 deg relative to the rim and tried again. Sometimes the minor wheel imbalance lines up with the tire imbalance. If the tire is real bad, sometimes adding a patch to the opposite side inside the tire will help reduce the weight count.

Looks more like some dumbshit was operating the balance machine that day.
Tire should have been spun on the rim after half that was added, then done again.

Every time I've seen this it is due to the wheel being a POS. Need to dial indicate the wheel to see what's really happening.

I was wondering that as well. Will see if he messages back. The Jeep has some dry rotted 33" Dunlop mud rovers now, and in my area, wheelin is kinda hard to come by.

The Jeep may have to be a mall crawler till we move sadly.

Had weights like that on blackies a few times and I would tell them to rotate the tire 180 and it balances a little better. One wheel was just too jacked and I had to get it replaced.

I was wondering that as well. Will see if he messages back. The Jeep has some dry rotted 33" Dunlop mud rovers now, and in my area, wheelin is kinda hard to come by.

The Jeep may have to be a mall crawler till we move sadly.

If you are anywhere close to my location, I can set you up with a set of four close to what is shown in that picture for dirt cheap. 33x12.5x16 MT ProComps on same black wheels. Tires are around 60% tread. Wheels have some rock rash but are not bent. TJ bolt pattern. Get these things out of my hair for... say.... $20.00 each? I thought I'd need them, but have a stupid excess of this sort of thing. (As my sig. says. N.E. Kansas location)

Yeah there is something wrong with that tire. What are the others like?

It shouldn't take more than 1/4 of that. Doesn't mean it isn't balanced and won't ride good but there is something off in that tire. Hopefully not a broken belt.

Thanks CJunk, but that would be quite a roadtrip for me.

especially big tires and smaller rims. The effect of the added weight has less impact. That aside, the tire tech should have busted the tire back apart and spun it 180 deg relative to the rim and tried again. Sometimes the minor wheel imbalance lines up with the tire imbalance. If the tire is real bad, sometimes adding a patch to the opposite side inside the tire will help reduce the weight count.

Fucking words of wisdom! I wish the fucking tire techs would give a shit and do the job right! I gave up on steel wheels; but that was because of the New Jersey (yeah it sucks and it really sucks now) road salt and rust. I have been running some cheap ass "MIlestar" mud tires I picked up from Walmart on aluminum wheels. They are in need of a serious rebalance right now, but fucking Walmart auto department is in shutdown.
OP: Fucking wheel weights are not made of lead anymore. What might look like a lot of weight really isn't.

All five of my Mastercraft Mtx's 35-12.5x15 have about that much weight, the difference being they put the weight on the inside of my rims. Ride is good, seem to be OK after 2800 miles between inspections...LOL

Just for shits and giggles I google the Lead wheel weight thingy. :stirthepot:

https://www.bendpak.com/wheel-servic...wheel-weights/

New legislation now makes it illegal to sell, manufacture or install lead wheel weights in many states. Violators can be faced with substantial penalties of up to $2,500 per day, per violation. Wheel weights made entirely of lead or zinc that end up on the roadway have high potential impacts to human health and the environment compared to steel wheel weights. Steel wheel weights are the preferred alternative due to their comparatively low toxicity and fewer environmental impacts from manufacturing. Lower environmental and human health impacts coupled with the high opportunity for steel wheel weights to be made from recycled material make steel wheel weights the best overall alternative.

My Jeep currently has Ultra brand aluminum wheels, but they are 15s.

Bad wheel or dipshit running the balancer. I used to do all my tires at home, and unless I had a bent wheel or a fucked up tire you'd never know they hadn't been balanced at all.

On my 4runner I have a set of 15" steelies with old MTR 37's all for have a ton of weight and they run down the freeway at 70 no problem, at first I was worried but MEH, if they run ok no biggie to me.

Bought a set of 5 used, near new.

Top Back Refresh