What's new

Too cheap to buy a cell mount JK setup.

Monkeys

Redhead weakness.
Member Number
I like my 15 JKUR, but there's no decent place to put my cell phone, so usually I set it next to the center console and the ebrake lever.

I was looking at options and found a setup I liked, but at $125....ya I'll pass.

20210630_135108.jpg

Last edited:
The reasoning behind that setup is, I don't like the windshield being blocked, so a setup over the top of the stereo, or the setup that hangs off the top rollbar mount on the upper right side of the windshield wasn't preferable.

My brothers TJ has a center rollbar mounted cb, and Ham setup, with the full rollbar and grab handles it just feels a little like driving in a tunnel.

I looked into the dash mount options, and a few people mounted them in a few different ways.

Drill a hole through the handle and mount the knob...no, not feelin it.

I wanted it mounted using the factory fake hex bolts area, I figured it looked cleanest that way.

The issue with that is, the hex bolts are....fake. They are real metal bolts, but do nothing. In fact the threads on the backside are tiny, course threads.

Also, the hex heads hide the real mounting bolts deep inside the handle base, but they are offset to the hex heads. So buying a longer bolt wouldn't work. You end up with this, which annoys the heck outta my OCD.
20210630_135035.jpg

The quad I recently got, had a RAM mount setup on it. It was probably the only part of value on the whole quad.:laughing:

So, I removed it, and went to ACE to see If I could put something together.

The $125 kit has a nice bracket setup that puts the mount right where I wanted. Maybe I could re-create it?
20210630_135051.jpg

All my vehicles, the bikes, and ATV run a RAM ball. I swap the mount to whichever I'm using. Great setup.

Here's what I came up with.

The panel nut/screw that holds the dash bar on has a thick captured washer on it that spins. It has an 8mm head

If I took a piece of 3/8 galvanized pipe, an 8mm socket/extension would slide down inside the pipe.

I then found a thick washer, that would slide over the outside diameter of the pipe, and a new hex head bolt to secure the RAM mount to the new bracket I was making.

$6.×× I was out the door.

Last edited:
My setup table of parts. The black screw is the factory dash screw (there are two, one on each side)

20210630_110815.jpg

I removed the fake hex head. The trim panel is only held on by plastic clips. The hex does nothing.
20210630_121023.jpg

I cut the pipe down to the length of the main channel to run the factory screw down. Luckily, it is wide enough to accept the diameter of the pipe.

As shown in the photo, an 8mm will fit through the pipe.
20210630_113153.jpg

I set the pipe against the spinning washer, and welded the two together. I left the socket/extension inside, and on the screw head to center everything. The socket fit pretty snug inside the pipe.

20210630_113634.jpg

Last edited:
After that, the socket and screw still spun thankfully.

I then took the large washer I bought and cut out a section of one side. I welded that section to the other end of the pipe.

I ground it to fit, and drilled a new hole offset to put the RAM mount where I wanted it to set, inside the factory Hex head pocket.

In my haste, I didn't get a photo of it outside the handle. Darn.😒
20210630_131349.jpg

Last edited:
I had to trim a little of the plastic inside the handle to fit the nut on the backside of the tube bracket I made, and had to trim approx 3/8" off the backside of the trim piece where the fake hex sat to make it fit flush again since there was now a metal tab inside the pocket.

I drilled out the factory hex head mounting hole to match the diameter of the new bolt securing the RAM mount on.
20210630_123137.jpg

And it bolted up right where I wanted.

Not bad for $7
20210630_132023.jpg
20210630_132059.jpg

I looked at different dash mount spots, but wasn't feeling drilling a new hole in a panel. If I want to take this out, I can simply glue the hex back in and its none the wiser, or buy another center grab bar trim piece.

All my vehicles, the bikes, and ATV run a RAM ball. I swap the mount to whichever I'm using. Great setup.
I'll have to keep that in mind :smokin:

I can just pick up a ball for the quad, didn't consider that.

I've built too many "that'll work" setups before.

I'm trying to keep this Jeep semi nice, and not just piece it together like previous junk I have owned..

Granted, most of the other Jeeps/Samurai/FJ40 worked perfectly fine being "that'll work" put together :laughing:

I'll have to keep that in mind :smokin:

I can just pick up a ball for the quad, didn't consider that.

61KGsGS1fOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

That's the carrier I have. I swap it to everything. even the Kubota and the Boston Whaler has a RAM ball. I just move the unit to whatever I'm using.

Top Back Refresh