What's new

Tomato sauce.

Grnjp92

Mid VT
Member Number
Loc
VT.
Cooking down about 40 pounds of romas. Beefeaters and a couple other varieties. At about 5 gallons.
20221023_155121.jpg

What are the rest of you using for recipes? Right now I've got onions and a bunch of garlic.

Bay
Balsamic
Meat of choice finely ground
Oregano
Tyme
Pepper

Brb
eta
tarragon (use sparingly)
sage

Last edited:
Bay
Balsamic
Meat of choice finely ground
Oragano
Tyme
Pepper

Brb
I'm keeping the meat out till I use it. I'm going to freeze it in quart bags. Then if I want a meat sauce I'll just brown the meat and add to the sauce.

Why freeze vs can? To us it became obvious why we can most things now. Meat and most whole fruits and veggies go in the freezer. Anything non meat that processed is canned. Wife steam bath cans and I water bath can. Both are easy.

Also dont have to wait for it to unthaw to use.
We do freeze short term stuff like basil or fruits or veggies that we are planning to can but dont have enough to justify running a batch. Usually early season stuff.

What are the details on that skillet shelf?
It's a lodge product. No idea how much the chick payed. It is set up so you can put it on its back if you want

Attachments

• 20221025_180700.jpg
    20221025_180700.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 7
Why freeze vs can? To us it became obvious why we can most things now. Meat and most whole fruits and veggies go in the freezer. Anything non meat that processed is canned. Wife steam bath cans and I water bath can. Both are easy.

Also dont have to wait for it to unthaw to use.
We do freeze short term stuff like basil or fruits or veggies that we are planning to can but dont have enough to justify running a batch. Usually early season stuff.
I was out of jars! As to the thaw time. Each bag is 2 cups. Throw it in the sauce pan an it goes quickly.

Top Back Refresh