What's new

Toll by plate

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So late November, I drove my HEMTT down to south Florida. I drove on a toll road that doesn’t have toll booths. It has “toll by plate”. There’s a overhead rail that has cameras that record you and your plate driving by. I was very curious about this because my plate is low and tucked in quite a bit Under the bumper. Today I got the bill in the mail. It says ”you have been identified as the owner of the vehicle shown in the picture below.

Heres the thing, the Picture is jet black. Can’t see a thing. Obviously, they somehow got my plate number because they sent it to me. Does a “plate reader” have some other technology that it can read without seeing it?

So late November, I drove my HEMTT down to south Florida. I drove on a toll road that doesn’t have toll booths. It has “toll by plate”. There’s a overhead rail that has cameras that record you and your plate driving by. I was very curious about this because my plate is low and tucked in quite a bit Under the bumper. Today I got the bill in the mail. It says ”you have been identified as the owner of the vehicle shown in the picture below.

Heres the thing, the Picture is jet black. Can’t see a thing. Obviously, they somehow got my plate number because they sent it to me. Does a “plate reader” have some other technology that it can read without seeing it?
Yes. I get these all the time for the fleet, and most of the time the printed picture is illegible. The cameras can ID the numbers based upon the differing ink used between the letters/numbers and the background. Been that way for years now.

Could have just been a bad crop by the automated software that prints the reports. Before I had a toll tag, I had a few come in that were barely readable, but still good enough to get a bill sent out.

OR! :tinfoil: the government is tracking your cell phone and triangulated your position and correlated it with the timing of the photo, compared DMV records to verify your ownership and sent you the bill once verification was established. :/tinfoil:

:flipoff2:

The ones around here also have a camera that gets the driver so that you can't say that you weren't the one driving, but I've never seen how clear those pics are.

Wife sold a car once and got a bill for it when the cameras snapped it going through the toll gate on the rollback that came and got it. It was more annoying to fight than to pay the couple bucks it cost, so it wasn't worth the effort. But lesson learned on that one.

Yes. I even know of someone here getting a ticket in the mail after taping over the license plates. The picture was of the registration sticker in the windshield. Big brother is always watching.

Just pay the fucking toll if you had any and I mean any type of turnpike pass it would just read and charge it.

I have my Florida sunpass and an ez pass these days I can use sun pass all the way west to Ohio and north to Canadian border.

New Jersey is the biggest toll road rip off

Cameras are also set low to catch your plate from different angles.

Pay the toll and move on. It's not like you didn't consent to it when you entered the damn thing.

How low and under is your plate? Serious question.

The "industry standard" for the cameras is 45deg and they are usually have a wide enough angle they're good to +/- a fair amount so long as there's no tailgater blocking.

How low and under is your plate? Serious question.

The "industry standard" for the cameras is 45deg and they are usually have a wide enough angle they're good to +/- a fair amount so long as there's no tailgater blocking.
Best pic I could find quick. It’s not low to the ground, but the bumper is about a foot further out. The rear tires also stick out further, meaning you can’t see the plate from the side.

4538CD25-299D-4053-BA6A-C06F6A7CDB44.jpeg

Best pic I could find quick. It’s not low to the ground, but the bumper is about a foot further out. The rear tires also stick out further, meaning you can’t see the plate from the side.

4538CD25-299D-4053-BA6A-C06F6A7CDB44.jpeg
Based on the picture that's not nearly deep enough.

Side doesn't matter for the ALPRs that toll roads use because they're overhead.

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 9.11.30 PM.png

I would fight any citation that wasn’t clearly my license plate.

We have license plate readers in the HOA, they’re far from accurate :shaking:

E88D1C07-BA6C-413C-B639-C05C90C1D1D1.jpeg

In these parts if the road was too crowded and needed more lanes to ease congestion they actually just spend tax dollars to expand the amount of lanes on the highway but only let you use the extra lanes if you pay some bullshit price of 15 bucks or something like that every time you use the ‘express lane’

I've dodge a few tolls here by having a trailer w/o tags with a load on it that nicely obscures the tow rig's plate.

But I've also seen people get the toll sent for the car on a trailer when they couldn't see the tow vehicles tags. :mad3:

I got a toll tag for the FL roads because it was WAY cheaper than bill by plate. One plaza without it was almost the same as the rest of the drive from Orlando to lauderdale.

Worse than Chicago? Cost me $30 one-way last time.
What route did you take? Indiana to Wisconsin border in Illinois is $12 one way. That's some somali Minnesota math you are using:flipoff2:
It's nuts out in jersey, it was like $30 to go through one tunnel when I was out there a few years ago.

Living in Commierado, I found out by "accident", if your tailgate is down, it covers your plate. Then if you have an IH Scout with the tailgate down....

Reactions: IGT
What route did you take? Indiana to Wisconsin border in Illinois is $12 one way. That's some somali Minnesota math you are using:flipoff2:
It's nuts out in jersey, it was like $30 to go through one tunnel when I was out there a few years ago.

Also had a double axle trailer…. Hate that place. Usually go up through MO now

Top Back Refresh