What's new

VA Toledo No 41 H Flywheel Punch Power Hammer

AlxJ64

Rust is Paint
Member Number
Loc
Richmond / Cville - VA
Needs to be put together. I bought it from someone who was going to make a power hammer out of it. I was going to use it for running Uni-punch tooling and custom press tooling (kind of like a sheet metal power hammer but fewer bigger punches).

Not seeing myself completing the project. Can load on your trailer. Flywheel weighs just under 300 lbs and according to the 1940 Machinist Guide, the flywheel inertia and length of crank on the machine puts this in around 20 tons of punch force. Has a ridiculous die shoe plate with it that bolts onto the column.

$450 obo.
Located between Richmond and Charlottesville off of I-64.

20211013_150230.jpg

20211013_150219.jpg

20211013_150514.jpg

20211019_115057.jpg

Last edited:
Damnnit, why did I click on this? [exercising restraint]

Damnnit, why did I click on this? [exercising restraint]
Because you should buy it! Its really cool, and almost like a piece of art work. Its on a pallet right now for easy moving around and it just needs some TLC and someone to love it. You certainly can't find a piece of steel in this size for this cheap anymore, thats for sure.

What do you think the whole thing weighs in at? I'd like to put it back to work, and might pass by on my trip week after xmas.

I figure the column is like 10x10 x 60 but is not exactly square, so that should make up for the head too. The bottom base plate is 1-1/2" x 40 x 40 or so. Then the flywheel is 300 lbs.
Quick math is 1722+688+300 = 2700 lbs. The way the skid moves it around I would have guessed 2k to 2300 honestly, so I may be over estimating the column weight.

Someone fucking buy this. I'm good with drilling 1/4" holes in 1/4" steel and have no place to give this a proper home.

No, but you got anyone that can loan you a medium landscape trailer? You could even swing by and ditch the trailer here and chain it up till you come back through, unless its a one way loop trip.
No hitch, I never tow because I use the big trucks for hauling.

This thing does need to be put back to work, I'd like to if I could get it up here. Did you ever get around to sorting through that unipunch tooling?

No hitch, I never tow because I use the big trucks for hauling.

This thing does need to be put back to work, I'd like to if I could get it up here. Did you ever get around to sorting through that unipunch tooling?
I have not, the recent acquisition of the big Cinci mill and now Christmas stuff has redirected my efforts. Its definitely on the short list of tasks. What size frames do you use? I have two cabinets full of stuff... sketchy full.

I have not, the recent acquisition of the big Cinci mill and now Christmas stuff has redirected my efforts. Its definitely on the short list of tasks. What size frames do you use? I have two cabinets full of stuff... sketchy full.
I use the shorter 5 1/2" shut height units.
All my frames are Pierce All 8RD 2 1/4".
Same size and tooling as unipunch B series 2 1/4" units.

I just re tooled them all with new punches and dies for a job.

Top Back Refresh