What's new

To permit or not to permit - that is the question

They used to tar and feather folks like that.

That ship sailed because people like him didn't tar and feather people like me when they moved in. If his state had made Massholes and New Yorkers feel unwelcome from the get go they wouldn't move in in large numbers, there wouldn't be people to tolerate bullshit permitting and government overreach and the few local rats would have nothing to rat on. Northern New England is full of towns that went to shit in the same way.

When you sell a house, there are disclosures. One of the questions on that disclosure is, "Has all work been permitted?" When you go to sell, you have two options. Disclose the work and risk a diminuation in value, or lie about the work and open yourself up to litigation for defrauding the new owners. 20 years ago this was not an issue. Today, it's serious.

Liability is only an issue if there's something to be liable for. Don't the kind of hack that builds a flimsy deck that falls down and kills people and you won't have issues. Most people here build the kind of stuff that's still standing after the tornado comes though.

No permits. I read the rules and pre form my arguments/outs if the permit office does shut down work. Example I re did my deck one summer and added a railing. I needed a permit for that, but when they shut me down I told them I was resurfacing the deck and those were decorative posts for mounting lights and hanging flower pots and got the stop work lifted. I build shit to code incase my arguments don't work and they need to inspect. I'm in rualish NC now so I don't even know if a permitting office exists lol. Did a roof tear off without a permit and it was no big deal when I sold, I disclosed that to my attorney, no one ever checked. The only time I have ever pulled permits is when using a contractor to do something.

So your saying now there could be a market for back dated new Romex? Fuck the government

What do they use to print the date? Odds are you can get a portable label maker that makes equivalent looking labels. Probably won't be cheaper than a permit but certainly cheaper than subbing out to some asshole who's only qualification is having a license.

They're always checking things out. Small town and all. One guy spends his days during the summer taking down yard sale signs because they didn't take a sign permit out.

We had someone like that in my neighborhood when I lived by Pittsburgh. He always had bad luck.

Nope, only if the contractor wont do it without. If I am doing it, and it's indoors or not major exterior work, I do it. I redid a complete kitchen, bathroom, and garage wiring without a permit in my last house.

I built a fairly fancy shed a few years back. I didn't want any trouble, so did it official with permits. I was glad I went that route. The permit fees were neglible (probably 0.0001% of the build cost). The inspector was very nice and helpful. I could call him and text him with questions. I feel like he helped make my finished product better than it would have been if I had not pulled permits. I do not work in the construction industry, so didn't know everything that I needed to know. I am just a typical fairly handy homeowner.

there are people out there that pay huge amounts of money to get kicked in the nuts
not kink shaming, just saying that ain't my deal

I will take every opportunity i can to not give the government any more of my money.
<3

[486 said:
;n338231]
so hide it behind... drywall!
sheathing gotta be stripped off inside the breaker box anyways

it runs to a exposed floor joists in the basement

[486 said:
;n338323]there are people out there that pay huge amounts of money to get kicked in the nuts
not kink shaming, just saying that ain't my deal

<3

This is definitely not the place for kink shaming. I'm not sure that there should be a place. :laughing::evil:

Last edited:
Where i live, the permit process is so easy. my drawings were slightly off for one project and the guy in the office crossed a few things off and wrote in the correct size lumber. the was a few hundred dollar permit and in view of the public.

When i removed a load bearing wall, i permitted it as well. it was 20 minutes in the building department and about $50. since so many houses here have similar floorplans, i was concerend about selling and the inspector noticing when the are here to provide the certificate of occupancy

There is a fine line between repairs in which components are upgraded and "changes" to original. You generally don't need a permit to fix things like a bad circuit, but add a new circuit and you need a permit. Change a load bearing wall and you generally need a permit. Replace old plumbing, no permit generally needed. Most places you can get a permit and do the work yourself. Unless you're a hack permits and inspections are not a huge deal 99% of the time. Here we don't need no stinking permits, except new electrical and septic unless it's inside city limits where the city requires it. I build stuff to code so when I sell it will pass inspection, and also I don't want to get sued. I've seen lots of shoddy work, in the end it cost more to fix than do it right the first time.

Almost everybody subs some stuff out. You can take credit.

If we hadn’t found the house we live in, I was thinking about building and I would have subbed out most of it so it didn’t take me 10 years. :laughing:

I did the shiplap, a rewire on one plug prior to sheetrock, the trenching for my main power to the house, the opening for the attic door, and some bracing for the kitchen sink...so I take credit for building my house :flipoff2:

I did the shiplap, a rewire on one plug prior to sheetrock, the trenching for my main power to the house, the opening for the attic door, and some bracing for the kitchen sink...so I take credit for building my house :flipoff2:

apologies in advance but you sounded like evernoob there :laughing:

I can get a permit for $60, and the inspections and paperwork are there for my liability be it selling or something that requires insurance down the road.

If they want huge money I'd be inclined to tell them to fuck off, but it's so little hassle it's not worth it.

The city building inspector lives a few blocks down, and he's the type to watch the lumber yard and follow people home.

Looks like my permit fee is $45 + $5 for every $1000 in build value over $1000. So, a $5000 kitchen renovation would be a permit fee of $65. I might permit it. When they leave I'll stuff the 200 amp box in the basement. :laughing:

I put a new backsplash in the kitchen and drank beer while I watched them bring in the appliances I picked out.

I'm a pro kitchen remodeler now. LOL!

If you ever plan on selling it, the buyers would likely get a loan which might be tough to get approved with permitting.

If you have kids you're handing it down to, I'd get it permitted.

If I was going to live there and not give a crap who got it after I died, screw it, it's their problem not mine. I wouldn't get permits unless legally required.

Back on topic,

yea I thought when you sold the house any changes, alterations, or additions needed to have permits. When we were house shopping, quite a few places had permits taken out in 2015, but the porch/shed/whatever was built 15 years earlier.

Not true for any of the houses I've bought or sold.

Top Back Refresh