What's new

TN trip

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
My group of friends are headed to TN Royal Blue area for Memorial Week in '22. Who is in the area? Most of the group is staying at Stinking Creek campground in RVs and rented cabins. Anyone in the area want to tag along is welcome.

I go down there like twice a year. We will be there in March. Have fun, there is a lot to see!

My group of friends are headed to TN Royal Blue area for Memorial Week in '22. Who is in the area? Most of the group is staying at Stinking Creek campground in RVs and rented cabins. Anyone in the area want to tag along is welcome.
I'm local to the area. I won't be riding that weekend as we already have plans for the Memorial Day holiday. If you'd like some trail numbers suggested I'd be glad to recommend some.

Just be prepared as the area will be very busy during that time.

Well we had a fantastic time in TN. Nothing crazy as far as riding goes but we did stick to the easier trails. Just a good socializing and relaxing trip with friends.

i'll post up some pics when I get home.

I did upload a couple pics into the pics of where you are right now thread when we were there. :usa:

I do want to say that Stinking Creek Campground was very nice. The owners live there on site so are always around if you have any issues. We got a 50A full hookup site for $50 a night. Ice freezer was unlocked and was on the honor system, $3/10# bags, they had the typical shirts, coozies and stickers for sale. They also rented tablets with trail maps loaded for $40/day which was a first that I have seen anywhere. They also had little cabins with full bathrooms and kitchenettes for rent. After paying for $5.50 diesel at 8mpg pulling the camper I would probably go that route next time. The had a buggy wash also. Cold water and no soap but that mud had quite a bit of sand in it and washed off really easy. :beer:

off who? Kevin the owner of Stinking Creek?
yeah. He upgraded to 37's! :lmao:

1655137274907.png

Pics as promised

This is on top of the Overlook. We got there and there was nobody there. in 5 mins two other big groups rolled in and it was as you can see.
IMG_20220529_115835642_HDR.jpg

This is on the Overlook looking north into Kentucky.
IMG_20220529_114628473.jpg

My lovely wife and RZR at the Eternal Flame.
IMG_20220531_134603294_HDR.jpg

This is at a creek crossing somewhere east of I-75. I don't remember the trail name.
IMG_20220531_131252291_HDR.jpg

This is a stop for lunch the same day as the Overlook pics were taken. I have no idea where this is. There a bunch of cracks in that huge rock in the background that was like a maze you could walk around in.
IMG_20220529_150009537_HDR.jpg

This is a pond next to the Eternal Flame.
IMG_20220531_135926988_HDR.jpg

Same lunch spot with the maze rock thing.
IMG_20220529_150002662_HDR.jpg

Eternal Flame stop for lunch.
IMG_20220531_134640100_HDR.jpg

Our campsite. That is our camper on the left. This is down by the creek looking back to the campground.
IMG_20220529_074820575_HDR.jpg

This is one of the waterfalls we visited. I have no idea what the name was. A friend was leading us around so I didn't have to pay attention to trail names like when I am trail leader.
IMG_20220530_112644312.jpg

Last edited:
The creek crossing looks to be at Meredith creek. The rock with all the cracks is known as The Rock house. The waterfall looks to be off trail #2 "Ollis creek" that goes down by an old reservoir. The overlook is known as The Top of the World.

The next time you're in you need to head up to the Sand Mine. It's not on the map but not hard to get to. You'll hear about the Dragon's back and Widow maker that is on that trial.

I've been riding those trails for at least 30 years...lol

last day there we rode the Dragon's Back, down the Widowmaker. Ate lunch at the Sand Mine.. Was the hardest trail we rode the entire week and it really wasn't that hard. We had a great time in TN but next time we go we will probably go to Brimmstone. Little tougher trails I am told and they aren't alcohol Nazis like Windrock.

Disclaimer:I am not getting ripped on the trails but we do take a few beers with us to enjoy at lunch or when we stop to hangout a bit.

last day there we rode the Dragon's Back, down the Widowmaker. Ate lunch at the Sand Mine.. Was the hardest trail we rode the entire week and it really wasn't that hard. We had a great time in TN but next time we go we will probably go to Brimmstone. Little tougher trails I am told and they aren't alcohol Nazis like Windrock.

Disclaimer:I am not getting ripped on the trails but we do take a few beers with us to enjoy at lunch or when we stop to hangout a bit.
The reason windrock got to be such a hard ass on alcohol is because they were having alot of the issues Royal Blue is having now. Life star is weekly flying people out of the area and its not uncommon to hear of deaths. Not long ago a RZR tangled with a log truck on the highway. People are flying up and down the road and at night running their light bars on blinding on coming traffic on the roads. Playing loud music at night, driving through people's yards....etc. Not all but much of it is being contributed to drinking.

We were up at the sand mine last fall. There were no less than 75 buggies at the top. It took an hour just to get down past the dragons back (taking the bypass) due to 20 or 30 coming up. Everyone walking around drinking and many drunk.

Things are getting out of hand and the local county commission are being put into a position to do something about it or risk being voted out. It really started when they gave permission to ride the blacktop. That will probably come to an end soon.

The old saying a few bad apples applies.

My buddy that was showing us around said the trail litter at Windrock is awful. Ironically most of the litter is beer cans. :shaking:

The TWRA ground that we were on had some litter but wasn't bad. I picked up a lot of trash every time we would stop somewhere for a min and got out. I keep a Sak-it on my buggy and it's so handy. I love that thing. :smokin:

The reason windrock got to be such a hard ass on alcohol is because they were having alot of the issues Royal Blue is having now. Life star is weekly flying people out of the area and its not uncommon to hear of deaths. Not long ago a RZR tangled with a log truck on the highway. People are flying up and down the road and at night running their light bars on blinding on coming traffic on the roads. Playing loud music at night, driving through people's yards....etc. Not all but much of it is being contributed to drinking.

We were up at the sand mine last fall. There were no less than 75 buggies at the top. It took an hour just to get down past the dragons back (taking the bypass) due to 20 or 30 coming up. Everyone walking around drinking and many drunk.

Things are getting out of hand and the local county commission are being put into a position to do something about it or risk being voted out. It really started when they gave permission to ride the blacktop. That will probably come to an end soon.

The old saying a few bad apples applies.
Yup, this is why we go during the week. Usually like show up on Tuesday leave on Saturday

My buddy that was showing us around said the trail litter at Windrock is awful. Ironically most of the litter is beer cans. :shaking:

The TWRA ground that we were on had some litter but wasn't bad. I picked up a lot of trash every time we would stop somewhere for a min and got out. I keep a Sak-it on my buggy and it's so handy. I love that thing. :smokin:
I don't know. Each time I've been to windrock our coolers were checked before we were allowed onto the trails. Now that's not saying everyone gets checked or that its not possible to get it through the check point. I'm just going off my experience of being local and having ridden these trails for 30 years...long before the area was popular.

yes my buddy from GA that guided us around in TN said that they check coolers going into Windrock. he said there are also rangers out on the trails looking for it as well.

disclaimer: We only rode the TWRA ground where I was there. Royal Blue area,

yes my buddy from GA that guided us around in TN said that they check coolers going into Windrock. he said there are also rangers out on the trails looking for it as well.

disclaimer: We only rode the TWRA ground where I was there. Royal Blue area,
I was just letting you know there are some changes thats probably coming to the RB area. The alcohol will still be allowed on the trails but off the trails (any blacktop) will be some changes.

I was just letting you know there are some changes thats probably coming to the RB area. The alcohol will still be allowed on the trails but off the trails (any blacktop) will be some changes.
I understand that.. we rode on the blacktop when we had no other choice. kept the light bars off at night and turned my whips off on the road as well. We obey the speed limit, we don't drive 20mph under cuz we don't want to get run over but we aren't racing either..

I understand that.. we rode on the blacktop when we had no other choice. kept the light bars off at night and turned my whips off on the road as well. We obey the speed limit, we don't drive 20mph under cuz we don't want to get run over but we aren't racing either..
See, if everyone was that courteous there wouldn't be any issues. A friend of mine thats not far from the campground you were at had to go out at 3am and run a bunch out of his field. They're luck he didn't start shooting....:laughing:

Top Back Refresh