What's new

Title help for KTM 300 in Texas

booger

Bad
Member Number
Loc
Corpus Christi
Tech in CC, listen up!

I want a new off-road machine and I want light and nimble, so 2 stroke it shall be. Problem is the title for the new bike is not going to be DMV friendly, so I am told, purchase to be completed on Saturday. No , I don't want to do this because I am trying to be a commuter, all of this stems from stringing trails together in CO and UT. The group of guys I will be riding with are all on 2 strokes as well but they live in OK and no one seems to care what you register in that state. I don't want to be the guy that gets us all pulled over every time we go from one trail to the next.

What work arounds to this problem are available? Before I go and sign all the paperwork do I need to start an LLC in AZ or what?

My street legal, 4 stroke KTM 350 EXC-F weights 228lbs ready to ride. How much lighter can the 2 smoke possibly be to go through the BS of trying to get it plated and still possibly getting your balls busted?

Plaster the bike w/BLM stickers ?

*Bureau of Land Management-

My street legal, 4 stroke KTM 350 EXC-F weights 228lbs ready to ride. How much lighter can the 2 smoke possibly be to go through the BS of trying to get it plated and still possibly getting your balls busted?

The 300 is lighter by 1 pound.

But has 51 HP vs 35:flipoff2:

I had my 250 2-stroke. I had to wring its neck to get up this one hill climb out in CO that was near my house. It would take me more than 3 tries every time to get up it. Then my friend rides out with his 4 stroke and drives straight to the top because of torque. Every time he got in trouble he still had torque. It was a game changer.

I was looking into trying to make a yamaha ttr 230 street legal and get plates, lights, horn, etc were no big deal but the state would not give plates due to title.. After a lot of web searching it seemed like transferring the title to Montana would get a street legal title and plates. IIRC you could also just clean the title in Montana and then transfer it to home state and get plates. Bring it up in the Montana thread already linked

maybe some people like having some power in their bike rather than buy a 4 stroke :flipoff2:

Alaska won't allow you to register a dirt bike for street use either, but when I bought my Husky FE501 (not 501s so not street legal) the dealer told me that ktm and husky come with some document that doesn't list it as an off road vehicle like all the other mfg do. I can't remember what the document was (4 years ago) but they were able to put a light and plate kit on it and do all the dmv paperwork to get it titled. I asked the guy if I could do the lights and paperwork myself and he told me that it was much easier for them as a motorcycle dealership to get it pushed through and I might not have the same luck. There are a handful of plated 300s running around town too.

I had my 250 2-stroke. I had to wring its neck to get up this one hill climb out in CO that was near my house. It would take me more than 3 tries every time to get up it. Then my friend rides out with his 4 stroke and drives straight to the top because of torque. Every time he got in trouble he still had torque. It was a game changer.

I have no idea what year this was for you but times have changed my friend. The 300s have lots of low end grunt power. I have been a 4 stroke guy from the start 27 years ago (XR 200, XR 250, XR 400, CRF 450x), this will be my first 2 stroke and the first to be fed through injection. Times are a changing.

The 300 is lighter by 1 pound.

But has 51 HP vs 35:flipoff2:

maybe some people like having some power in their bike rather than buy a 4 stroke :flipoff2:

I likes my 284 lb 61 HP XR650R, and it has all the power I'll ever need and I use it. And fuck Orange.:flipoff2:

You might want to check on that new "title". If you are buying a new ktm, it will come with a "mso" mfg statement of origin. The last ktm mso I saw did NOT have the words "for off road use only" like every jap bike has. I have personally tagged a dozen new ktm two-strokes here in KS because 1- it doesnt need an inspection(being new) and 2-not having that off road language on the mso doc. I even tagged a 450r honda without any lights, horn, mirrors etc. it had an arkansas title that did not have off road only on it. you luck could be worse down there, dont know.

Tech in CC, listen up!

I want a new off-road machine and I want light and nimble, so 2 stroke it shall be. Problem is the title for the new bike is not going to be DMV friendly, so I am told, purchase to be completed on Saturday. No , I don't want to do this because I am trying to be a commuter, all of this stems from stringing trails together in CO and UT. The group of guys I will be riding with are all on 2 strokes as well but they live in OK and no one seems to care what you register in that state. I don't want to be the guy that gets us all pulled over every time we go from one trail to the next.

What work arounds to this problem are available? Before I go and sign all the paperwork do I need to start an LLC in AZ or what?

IDK but am in Texas if you want to try some shit.

Wait your talking diatribes? I mean dirtbikes? Fudiatribes?
OMG

I'm done

I have plates in MT. Only hard part is you need to get a LEO to inspect and confirm it has lights, horn, and mirror. Easy for me, pain to drive here from Texas.

We can still get anything pushed through with a safety inspection. Jap bikes, sxs's, 4 wheelers are all seen cruising the streets with plates in the summer.

​​​

You might want to check on that new "title". If you are buying a new ktm, it will come with a "mso" mfg statement of origin. The last ktm mso I saw did NOT have the words "for off road use only" like every jap bike has. I have personally tagged a dozen new ktm two-strokes here in KS because 1- it doesnt need an inspection(being new) and 2-not having that off road language on the mso doc. I even tagged a 450r honda without any lights, horn, mirrors etc. it had an arkansas title that did not have off road only on it. you luck could be worse down there, dont know.

Will do. I asked the sales guy about this and he immediately started crawfishing. I took it as a sign I was going to have a hard time. The Maine trick sounds interesting and if that won't do it I'll start up an LLC. Crazy thing is I could run whatever I wanted to in my area and no one will care, plated or not. I have UTV's, ATVs, and little dirt bikes going through the neighborhood steadily. Load up and travel though and I will need to do something.

I have no idea what year this was for you but times have changed my friend. The 300s have lots of low end grunt power. I have been a 4 stroke guy from the start 27 years ago (XR 200, XR 250, XR 400, CRF 450x), this will be my first 2 stroke and the first to be fed through injection. Times are a changing.
Fuck the spodes with the 300 hate.

I was one of only a few riding and racing them in my local. Most just made fun of me because of the trials bike tire on the back... till we got back to the trucks.

They are popular now for a reason. 2 stroke pipe and 4 stroke grunt. It’s the best of both worlds when trail riding. My Gas Gas 300 had a fucking electric train for a engine.:smokin:

Like mentioned earlier, it all depends on the wording of the mso. No different from side by sides or Japanese mini trucks, if it says off road only, it needs to be washed in a friendly state.

61hp? Always thought they were around 40.

My DR is in the 40s. I can't see the XR being much higher...:confused:

I had a line on a 350EXC thing last year. I turned it down though because I thought 2T would be a pain on the road. Perhaps if it was oil injected or something, but isn't mixing oil at every gas up a bit of a chore?

Youve clearly never ridden a 300 two stroke. Fucker is like a wheelie tractor in the woods. I cant imagine lugging 284 lbs around east coast trails. Shits making my arms hurt as i type this.

Pfft. I ride a fully loaded DR all over the place. Just can't stop. Grip and rip it and hope you find the line. :flipoff2:

My DR is in the 40s. I can't see the XR being much higher...:confused:

I had a line on a 350EXC thing last year. I turned it down though because I thought 2T would be a pain on the road. Perhaps if it was oil injected or something, but isn't mixing oil at every gas up a bit of a chore?

I'm going to use a funnel to get the little bottle in the big bottle:grinpimp:, I'll be a newbie so hoping that keeps it from being a chore.

61hp? Always thought they were around 40.
who knows? That was the first result I got and I posted it since it sounded good and I'm just farting around anyway.:flipoff2:

Youve clearly never ridden a 300 two stroke. Fucker is like a wheelie tractor in the woods. I cant imagine lugging 284 lbs around east coast trails. Shits making my arms hurt as i type this.

Nope sure haven't, I quit 2 Stroke dirtbikes before they even got water cooled. :homer: I used to put av gas in my 2 strokes to add torque. Climbed the sickest off camber powerline trail ever that way.:smokin::laughing:

Pfft. I ride a fully loaded DR all over the place. Just can't stop. Grip and rip it and hope you find the line. :flipoff2:

They like auto clutch conversions too!
I'm going to use a funnel to get the little bottle in the big bottle:grinpimp:, I'll be a newbie so hoping that keeps it from being a chore.

You gonna an Amsoil fanboi too?:eek:

Sorry I'm no help on the plating, disregard the threadjack.

:flipoff2:

The fact that 2-stroke engines in bikes are not renowned for low-end torque is an anomaly. In a broad sense, 2-strokes have lower torque curves for the same reason a multi-cylinder engine does: more firing events per revolution per unit time. So a V8 tends to make lower end torque than an I4. It's also why 2-stroke diesels excel at variable-load applications like power-generation.

4-strokes are easier to regulate in terms of pollution so they're taking over, that's the only reason. Turbos and ECUs mitigate a huge amount of design shortcomings for 4-strokes.

2-stroke bikes had to be wrung out because they were literally designed to be that way. So they dropped low-end torque requirements making them have greater absolute power, that power just happened to be at high revs. That allowed the MFRs to take advantage of air flow and scavenging. By the 80s, all the 2-smoke bikes have all kinds of specialized configuration from the crankcase to the reeds to make them more overall powerful, but it kills their low-end.

In fact 4-stroke engines are generally so poor at low-end torque that special configurations like those super-long Mopar intake manifolds were developed to create an air column to keep air pressed up against the valve in low-rev applications. That way you aren't stopping and starting air flow in that plenum, it's always moving to a certain extent, even building some 'boost' at certain RPM. This also helped with more primitive carburetors which didn't respond as well to signal unlike today when you can tune signal on all of the performance carbs.

KTM has obviously engineered their way out of both the loss of low-end torque, while still having the breathing characteristics of the old 2-smokes at high RPM.

Just shitting up your thread with engine talk.

Last edited:
I really doubt the 300 has 51HP. Mine doesn't feel much faster than my old CR250 racebike. I never has that "I'm going to kill you" feel that my KX500 had.

As for the title, it's all in the VIN number. The 8th digit will be the red sticker flag. KTM's are good to go there. The 300TPI's are Euro 4 complaint. They are street legal in Europe. You can get a factory harness that has all the lights and stuff. The have a brake light in there, you just need a pressure switch and run power to it. The headlight is the DOT unit that all the street legal bikes have. You just need to put a high beam switch on it and run power.

Completed the bike sale. MOS said "motorcycle" I think I'll be good on the title but the DMV is running super slow right now. I was told to expect a title in 6 weeks.

IMG_1297.jpeg

Top Back Refresh