What's new

TIG welding cages

Do you agree with the 10 amp per .010 of thickness rule ?

It's ok for ballparking something if you have no idea where to start. There are too many variables to say what would work for a given thickness. A tight fitting fillet joint, that woul be on the low side, while an open root double bevel groove weld you could just blow holes in it with the same settings.

852.jpg

:laughing:

and this is why you can't share weld pictures on the internet ! :flipoff2:

be nicer to have more depth as well, but it still doesn't matter :laughing: she'd hold up to a 100mph multi-roll without a problem :smokin:

Shit man, I don't care if someone calls out my welds. I will always be my own biggest critic when it comes to that kinda stuff. Failure is just a really good opportunity to learn that comes just after a lesson in humility, right? I mean, as long as no one gets hurt...
Speaking of which, I hope I don't get to test my welds on the way you described!

:laughing:

and this is why you can't share weld pictures on the internet ! :flipoff2:

be nicer to have more depth as well, but it still doesn't matter :laughing: she'd hold up to a 100mph multi-roll without a problem :smokin:

If you post a decent weld and say its not perfect, half of the people will think, "oh shut up, you sound just like my wife saying how fat she is all the time". When they know she is already out of their league.
The other half who cant tell the difference whether the gas is on or not will critique it, just like the overweight husband on the couch eating Cheetos agreeing with his wife, "yeah she's right, she could loose a couple pounds".
Moral of the story is be happy that you know the gas in on.

So while it's not TIG and it's not a cage the following is pretty neat to look at. So my buddy did a inverted back flip at KOH and his 6100 front bumper did some interesting stuff. MIG welded (only proper way :flipoff2:) by our local shop and non of the welds failed.

ACtC-3fYAJ6szqQknFlX0Oh0hm1CuEsNI2DQCxO5kBScg4r84zA5bcwN9HS3G-w4eZO4hUurddmBxki682ZKz1OfzdRsMZCTEVnMYQz3Pkey57ZGHYDmG5nEFJp6UwuKURtaB_OTrWiQwtN_s05YTJyB55n1Fg=w1002-h751-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3cZR9rVMMcs2jlSpAlRYAc8y9ucWBZKBk03sJPOoc6Ayy5cIDbdh6NGuXh7cu2fiQEeXnt3WAWs12Uef_nDk0fImAlqepaeWZE7nh2O54I-q3GK6trEK5CnxxMIMBIP6s0yyhjV_HtDoCLdDTN7j7QX7Q=w1002-h751-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3ekYnSIlTUXL3BxSQXFe1mmUK89rM7LP7TOLVadvvc1oAIGUKQz8Nt_N6SONMX4W59m-dLplebhXFKqwnbPc7U7DpOF_djo1KYd0lUJjSxLjd01f93lZfnJ41yGauNz_Bx8W-dDVRDYxgeMIHQQO_gA2A=w1002-h751-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3dLHIrla8POg3O8RltAKA9h5c08gydDN74dmSjKBGnSBkH-J6dtxYO2NUOnWDZU-johHqmv8Fj38HQB6DhX16qe4Xo_HuVS0lE8JmXnZ55sA2rLtPwBp1BjgLMnyL3D-OAxisYBwPR3IWjMkgP7JHm_0g=w1002-h751-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3fOWIeHUBj6XJvw9ozq7KOKXm6ILt4UQ6hhWau1F1hOoK9Ia3DBoNIo-BbM0E9K3SpUqGFajx7p4XdsnWhSjoZzjurMIm7a_Qpwm5_JcSieOovjYrpHwuz3fOUwZhSIsKArewg4JTyDx4bKdmy4Ql_4-g=w564-h751-no?authuser=0.jpg

As for the welding, we did a ton of testing back in the college days and both was worked, but MIG was stronger consistently. It wasn't by a great deal however, 10-15%.

I don't care for the stacked dimes look, I hate edges as it screams stress risers. Also alot of the tig welds always seem to undercut the edges a bit, I'm really bad about this when I do any tig stuff. A proper TIG weld looks amazing but anymore I like what ever is faster and done by someone other then me. Lol. I started Tig am I could go at my own speed and figure it out.

As for the welding, we did a ton of testing back in the college days and both was worked, but MIG was stronger consistently. It wasn't by a great deal however, 10-15%.

Can you elaborate on this?

So while it's not TIG and it's not a cage the following is pretty neat to look at. So my buddy did a inverted back flip at KOH and his 6100 front bumper did some interesting stuff. MIG welded (only proper way :flipoff2:) by our local shop and non of the welds failed.

Interesting. That's a lot of instagram-ugly welds that worked. Would be good for the Cage Failure thread. https://irate4x4.com/general-4x4/50590-roll-cage-failures

I vote oxy-acetylene welding tube frame members. Weld is almost certain not to fail. :flipoff2:

Nice looking tig welds.

excepting where the tubes tore right along the toe of the welds, that highlights why design is more important than weld.

i'm with above, the great weld thickness variation is ugly, but, if it fits, it ships

if you heat the whole tube up, you won't have a narrow HAZ to fail

10-4 oxy welds anneal and normalize the weld do to the method. Airplane frames for the longest time could only be oxy acetylene welded.

you cannot tig or mig weld 2 stroke pipes. If you do they will most certainly crack and fail. A oxy welded pipe will last forever.

I have been practicing my skill in this style welding. It’s amazing the penetration you get with this weld. Its slow as fuck and takes even more skill than tig IMO. It’s nice to have these random skills for Radom ass projects.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on this?

Welded a bunch of test tabs, cut etched for testing, then strain tested. No heat treatment, all failed in the haz zone like they should. 4130 material, ERS-70 filler rod.

Interesting. That's a lot of instagram-ugly welds that worked. Would be good for the Cage Failure thread. https://irate4x4.com/general-4x4/50590-roll-cage-failures

Well it's not a cage so.... I have standards to derail a thread. :flipoff2:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

F’in kids with your welding and all that fancy shit.
If it was good enough for planes it will work on roll cages

F’in kids with your welding and all that fancy shit.
If it was good enough for planes it will work on roll cages

oh, you are made of airplane money :laughing:

rivets, sheet metal ribs and carbon fibre skins are proven tough. just way more work.

Yeah cause airplanes do great when nosed into a pile of rocks. :nuke: :flipoff2:

The JATO pilot knows all too well.

The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. the wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off – actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra 'push' for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts, as best could be determined, are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles [4.8 kilometers] from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within five seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 MPH [560 km/h], continuing at full power for an additional 20–25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles [4.0 km] (15–20 seconds) before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles [2.3 km] and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet [38 m], leaving a blackened crater 3 feet [0.9 m] deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

587576ae6b66d1b140f3829b

Last edited:
The JATO pilot knows all too well.

The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. the wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off – actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra 'push' for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts, as best could be determined, are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles [4.8 kilometers] from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within five seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 MPH [560 km/h], continuing at full power for an additional 20–25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles [4.0 km] (15–20 seconds) before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles [2.3 km] and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet [38 m], leaving a blackened crater 3 feet [0.9 m] deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Obviously the guy didn't have a TIG welded cage in his 67 Impala.:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh