What's new

TIG electrode grinder

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
What is everyone using to grind their TIG electrodes? Just free hand on the bench grinder, or do you have an attachment for a rotary tool, standalone grinder, or something else?

I have a small bench grinder that I removed one side, and mounted it to my welding cart/table. These are photos from when I was still making the cart:

cart_09.jpg

cart_11.jpg

That's spendy.

if you have a die grinder you can just buy the head. I always did the drill and dedicated grinding wheel but it made a big difference in the arc using the tungsten grinder. The diamond wheel gives a finer grind and you get a more focused arc. I picked up the whole kit since I already had a bunch of the 12V Milwaukee tools. I am also lazy and is convienant to have next to the welder instead of having to drag out a couple tools to sharpen. I find myself hitting it before I weld anything now since it is so fast.

if you have a die grinder you can just buy the head. I always did the drill and dedicated grinding wheel but it made a big difference in the arc using the tungsten grinder. The diamond wheel gives a finer grind and you get a more focused arc. I picked up the whole kit since I already had a bunch of the 12V Milwaukee tools. I am also lazy and is convienant to have next to the welder instead of having to drag out a couple tools to sharpen. I find myself hitting it before I weld anything now since it is so fast.

I have no doubt that it's amazing, but by the time I get it to me it's $600. :homer: Even just buying the head is expensive because currency exchange and UPS shipping.

Amazon.ca has a knockoff like what Talon2006 posted and the Homeless Despot has a promo for the Milwaukee grindy thing being free with a charger/battery kit, so I went ahead and ordered those things. Hopefully the knockoff does a decent enough job. If it doesn't I'm only really our $100 because I can use the other stuff.

I picked up a used bench grinder from a buddy at work for $30 and put a new grinding wheel on dedicated for tungsten

Chuck it up in a drill and put it on the bench grinder.

I always have an 80 grit flap wheel in my angle grinder. I clamp the angle grinder upside down in the bench vise. Put the tungsten in a drill.

I have no doubt that it's amazing, but by the time I get it to me it's $600. :homer: Even just buying the head is expensive because currency exchange and UPS shipping.

Amazon.ca has a knockoff like what Talon2006 posted and the Homeless Despot has a promo for the Milwaukee grindy thing being free with a charger/battery kit, so I went ahead and ordered those things. Hopefully the knockoff does a decent enough job. If it doesn't I'm only really our $100 because I can use the other stuff.

Curious how it works! Let me know.

I will, whenever Amazon actually delivers it. :rolleyes:

I did get my Milwaukee rotary tool though. Homodepot was on point with the shipping. :smokin:

This is pretty high on my list once we get into our house.... and I get the garage wired back up! lol

Well, Amazon's courier lost the package with my grinder attachment, and then the price went up 3X over for me to order another one. :rolleyes:

So umm, I guess I'll do something else.:homer:

Amazon wouldn't send you another one?

They are out of stock themselves so it's now a third party vendor with 3X the price and a retarded lead time. I might be able to get them to buy one for me from the third party vendor, I didn't accept a refund yet (what they want to do), but even then it would be months away. I'm going to call back and see if they intend to stock it again and go from there.

It's hard for me to deal with them because I need a specific delivery window or things get thrown on my porch when I'm not in town, and then either go missing or I have to keep calling in favours to get them picked up.

They are out of stock themselves so it's now a third party vendor with 3X the price and a retarded lead time. I might be able to get them to buy one for me from the third party vendor, I didn't accept a refund yet (what they want to do), but even then it would be months away. I'm going to call back and see if they intend to stock it again and go from there.

It's hard for me to deal with them because I need a specific delivery window or things get thrown on my porch when I'm not in town, and then either go missing or I have to keep calling in favours to get them picked up.

I hear you on delivery issues.... I have been having issues myself for a while.

https://www.harborfreight.com/repla...-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-98862.html
diamond wheel, drilled out arbor hole to fit onto my m18 grinder. Works absolutely great

I used the same wheel and modified a HF grinder with on off switch to run it. I clamp the grinder in the vice wheel up and just spin the electrode with my fingers. Pretty quick and easy but I have been meaning to make a permanent mount for it with a remote switch so the setup time is less.

Top Back Refresh