What's new

This Sammy worth a shit?

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I am still looking for something I can wheel easier than my Tracker.

I have a short riding season and work tons during the rest of the year.

This setup does not look too bad.

What I think I see (I am not real experienced with suspension) is the coil springs are short and not held in well and look like they would pop out if fully extended.

Here are the pics

Asking $6,500

On propane (which I like)

241568934_1137633793394428_4715822821165265097_n.jpg
240873241_439040424136026_2304382356811197822_n.jpg
240697745_537086997380883_7813464663599706270_n.jpg
241359660_141334154862466_7243041977373172759_n.jpg
240724177_354035156400960_1026924912846540975_n.jpg
241206009_1465259120513584_5935622507863918537_n.jpg
240736091_1209246772835500_5054611164039407879_n.jpg
241180204_221347506682482_6082754036445588622_n.jpg
241232678_578904263265298_7163026013528937067_n.jpg

I would swap the 39" boogers for some 35" SxS tires

it has 6.5 TC gears in it

Is not locked in the rear so I would have to throw in a spool.

Besides that looks like a good start, I really wanted a Tin Top and could not find one.

Seller says motivated and send all offers to him

That propane tank is asking for trouble.
I would mount it inside or build a false floor for it, no way would I leave it like that.

I ride on Boulders, my current skid plate has tons of scars from just the dozen rides I did with it

How do you plan to lower it 8" for the 35s? Looks like a complete slinky floppy pile right now.

Sami's on Sami axles need to be very low to work at all without constantly tipping over. The Toyota axle or D44 ones get away with being a little taller because of the wieght of the axles.

How's that for a throwback? :smokin:

I don't think Rocky Road's website has changed since 2001 either.

I still remember getting that magazine(sniper on the cover) , along with the Peterson 4wheel with the orange tube chassis jeep on the cover. I was like 13-14 and those both opened my eyes to what real wheelin was.

Always thought the little Sami was awesome and actually did really damn well going up against V8 39-44" tires, 4th place iirc.

Rocky road website is definitely OG, looks like the space jam website that retard moderator from PBB kept linking :lmao:

I still remember getting that magazine(sniper on the cover) , along with the Peterson 4wheel with the orange tube chassis jeep on the cover. I was like 13-14 and those both opened my eyes to what real wheelin was.

Always thought the little Sami was awesome and actually did really damn well going up against V8 39-44" tires, 4th place iirc.

Same here except I think I'm older than you.

I loosely based that orange one I built for a customer in CT on that one because of its performancein TTC. Sami's are cool as hell if built right.

Wasn't the orange tube chassis Jeep on the cover Shannon Campbell's rig?

Same here except I think I'm older than you.

Sucks for you :flipoff2:

I loosely based that orange one I built for a customer in CT on that one because of its performancein TTC. Sami's are cool as hell if built right.

Wasn't the orange tube chassis Jeep on the cover Shannon Campbell's rig?

Randy Ellis, had to look it up.

9325119.jpg

That rig was pretty insane for ~2000

I didn't realize that Randy and Shannon grew up together and probably both had a hand in building it.

Last edited:
It sits WAY too high for real wheeling in my opinion. I would keep looking.

Buy this and pay someone to finish it.

Or buy this one and go straight to the trail:
Both of those are nice for sure, I have one requirement that I have to have, and that is a full cab with heat.

My wheeling season is Nov - Feb

If that's a Rocky Road setup, I have first hand experience. That thing got us caught up in a six hour debacle. The entire front sheared off and both front tires were under the rig under the doors. The welds on the links cracked right off. We had to jack the rig up and drag the front axle forwards. Then use wire, electrical tape, and sticks to reattach the links.

That sucked. We weren't fifteen minutes on the trail. That took the entire day to get off the trail. It was funny because we were still near the trailhead and heard gunshots. We go to check it out, and the owner of the Samurai just unloaded onto a tree after his rig folded up.

It didn't really flex "right" either. It felt....tippy.

If money isn't a big issue, find a shop you like and have them Toyota axle swap your tracker. (even better if you grab all the shit from slowpoke) It will be more money off the batt, but I've never known someone who bought a pre built rig and didn't end up dumping a ton of money into it changing and fixing stuff.

If money isn't a big issue, find a shop you like and have them Toyota axle swap your tracker. (even better if you grab all the shit from slowpoke) It will be more money off the batt, but I've never known someone who bought a pre built rig and didn't end up dumping a ton of money into it changing and fixing stuff.

This is good advice and I'm not just saying that because I have the parts. Stick to the Tracker you have and know and build from there. Avoid buying someone else's headache. I bet most competent offroad shops could throw my parts under a Tracker in a month or less depending on how picky you want to get. My parts, a set of wheels/tires and (4) 12" travel air shocks or coilovers and you will be in business.

Even coils wouldn't be too bad for what he's doing, frame mounts are already there.

For 35s and keeping it low, I'd even think about 10" shocks.

Even coils wouldn't be too bad for what he's doing, frame mounts are already there.

For 35s and keeping it low, I'd even think about 10" shocks.

The "suspension kit" I have called for 12" air shocks when it was designed. With those shocks and 2.75" BS wheels everything cleared perfectly.

That Tracker buggy thing I bought when I moved to TX was originally designed and built by the owner of Shrockworks. There was a build thread on it years ago at the other place. He got busy with life and never finished it. Sold it to the tard I bought it from and he hacked the fuck out of it trying to turn it into a buggy. He failed miserably and only wheeled it once in his yard before selling it to me. You can tell by looking at the skid plate in my pictures. It has a couple light scratches in the powdercoat from what I assume were branches and zero dents. I don't think the axles and steering had 100 miles on them since being built and installed. Still had the original 37" reds and unscathed Marsh 17" beadlocks on it when I picked it up. I should have finished it but the more I worked on unfucking the chassis the more I hated it so I cut that POS up...

This is the original build thread:

On page 2 he talks about what's in the front axle:
Screenshot_20210911-134010_Samsung Internet.jpg

I remember the story.

The only difference is that he wants to run 35x10s, only reason I mentioned the 10" shocks to make having it sit ~2" lower easier.

My buddy ran 12" airshocks on a Toyota axled amigo (just a Toyota sized tracker :laughing:) and it's about the perfect size. Many people get carried away with shock size and end up not using the whole travel, and in turn having shocks that don't work properly.

Either way, Crispins needs to build his own rig.

Either way, Crispins needs to build his own rig.
I know and I am making some changes for next year that should give me much more free time than I have had these last 2 years.

I would like to build it myself actually.

Most likely I will just link my tracker next year with some Toy axles.

Have you locked yours yet? Are you just getting high centered a lot?

Will wide open designs do smaller builds? :flipoff2:

Also, keep an eye out for already built up Toyota axles. Starting from scratch can get expensive. Other wise, I'd grab some JK axles and have them retubed for Pass drop. Stock width should work well if you can get ~4" back spacing, but you may want to consider going a little narrower at the same time.

Last edited:
Have you locked yours yet? Are you just getting high centered a lot?

Will wide open designs do smaller builds? :flipoff2:

Also, keep an eye out for already built up Toyota axles. Starting from scratch can get expensive. Other wise, I'd grab some JK axles and have them retubed for Pass drop. Stock width should work well if you can get ~4" back spacing, but you may want to consider going a little narrower at the same time.
I am locking it now, just ordered the spool.

My issue is at Windrock where I ride there are just shit tons of boulders and mine sucks on that.

I think my spacer lift kinda sucks as I am pretty much at max down travel at all times.

My tires are also too small for the rocks there.

I am going to ride a different place this season (Royal Blue) and it looks like much more mud than rocks so I think my setup might do well there.

However my goal is to get back to Windrock and be able to handle any trail there, I will need to be linked and on 35's to do that (I think)

I get what you are saying, boulders are tough in the little zuk's. They can hang with the big tires or the huge center clearance of the sxs's.

Links are never necessary though

Top Back Refresh