What's new

the youtube thread

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
I don't subscribe unless the channel is awesome. I'm completely amazed at the quality and entertainment I get from these channels, and completely humbled by the fact that I know enough to know I know absolutely fuck-all.

What are you sub'd to?

me:

2drx4
Advoko MAKES
AvE
Chickadee Enginerding
This Old Tony
Clickspring
Machine Thinking
Donn DIY
Essential Craftsman
oxtoolco
Abom79
Hydraulic Press Channel
Pask Makes
ZIP TIES N BIAS PLIES
Mr Chickadee
jimmydiresta
Mustie1
Torbjörn Åhman
LockPickingLawyer
The Post Apocalyptic Inventor
Rainfall Projects
Good of the Land
Fireball Tool
Meanwhile In the Garage
SmarterEveryDay

The tim dillon show

Medcram - non politcal bias science based covid info

Colion Noir
Nasa
Space Videos
First We Feast
Pitmaster X
Ryan Knorr Lawn Care
Raw Space
Pathmaker Productions
Pest and Lawn Ginga

I get wrapped up in the Mr. Leisik videos. He’s a diver and in most of his videos he’s recovering old cars out of rivers in Oregon. Occasionally they’re stolen or have bodies in them.

There was a russian (I think) guy who does lathe and mill work. You'd sometimes see his face, he'd be explaining stuff in russian sounding like a stereotypical russian who loved vodka.

He showed copying a ball on a lathe and used the balls for lathe handles, I think he also lapped a shitty looking steel plate until you could float another plate on top like it was on ice (I think AvE mentioned this vid).
He had some stuff on his machines painted green. I found Xalasis715 but that's not the right channel.

Ring any bells?

I don't subscribe to much, but here's what I got

Automotive:
Cleetus Mcfarland
Drivetribe
The Grand Tour
Austin Coulson
Bad Obsession

Craftsmanship:
AvE
Andy Rawls
Essential Craftsman
Finish Carpentry TV
Insider Carpentry
The Handyman
Mike Farrington
Mr. Chickadee
Next Level Carpentry
Philipe Do Carmo
Primitive Technology
The Roaring Woodwork
The Wood Whisperer

Jenna Marbles

:laughing:

In no particular order

AvE
Abom79
Wright Machine Works Keith Fenner
The Wood Whisperer
Mathew Cremona
Project Farm
Smarter Every Day
OxToolCo
Essential Craftsman
Northmen
Bedo'sLeatherworks
DieselPunkRO

ColdWarMotors
Bad Obsession Motorsport
This Old Tony
AvE
Cleetus McFarland
Hoovie's Garage
Vice Grip Garage
628DirtRooster Bees

Western truck and tractor repair
jpaydirt
larry elder
matts off road recovery
sidestep adventures

If your feeling sorry for yourself watch:
Harmless farmer - andy detwiler
guy lost his arms as a kid

Last edited:
Most of my list has been listed except Izzy Swan. Ive used a few of his videos as a start for my own project ideas.

Dave Moss Tuning (motorcycle stuff)
Gale Banks Engineering
Hoonigan build Biology
Fullboost.au
Colin Furze
Jetman Dubai

One I recently stumbled upon is: Engels Coach

All about rebuilding old wagons and wooden wheels, neither of which I have any particular interest in by themselves but a number of interesting techniques presented in a good way.

i have over 350 subs.
mostly offroad/car and machining related, eu stuff and some tinfoil stuff too

Mike Patey - Hes does awesome fab, welding, carbon fiber etc
This old tony
Weldingtipsandtricks

Technology connections - he can be a bit cheesy sometimes but every video I watch I'll learn something about some topic I never even considered before

David Haley - logger out in Minnesota (?) A lot of logging vids, a lot of mechanic stuff, and some random ones that are always pretty interesting

Mark Felton productions - weekly videos about obscure WWII topics. Great videos for background noise that ends up grabbing your full attention

Matthias Wandel - mostly carpentry videos but the kind you never see. Wood machines, some furniture, contraptions and the like. I've picked up a lot from watching him just for fun

Ordinary Sausage - check him out. The dudes hilarious and one of the most genuine content creators out there. He reminds me of YouTube during the first few years

My list with my rating out of 10:

Tom Scott - 8
Hoovies Garage - 7
Spirit Of The Law - 7
Adam Savage’s Tested - 6
Doug DeMuro - 6
TheStraightPipes - 7
carwow - 6
Beyond the press - 7
This Old Tony - 10
Project Farm - 8
Nick Murray - 5
Hydraulic Press Channel - 7
Christian Jackson - 4
PBS Space Time - 7
More Doug DeMuro - 6
DRIVETRIBE - 4
Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell - 8
Carfection - 9
Mark Rober - 9
OverSimplified - 9
Simone Giertz - 7
TheBackyardScientist 7
Physics Anonymous - 5
Veritasium - 5
FoodTribe - 4
Zac Brown Band - 3
Porsche - 3
The Slow Mo Guys - 5
lincolnelectrictv - 3

If you don't watch ToT and have the the other machinist channels, you are a monster.

One I recently stumbled upon is: Engels Coach

All about rebuilding old wagons and wooden wheels, neither of which I have any particular interest in by themselves but a number of interesting techniques presented in a good way.

That's a fantastic channel. Love it.

I watched the old borax trailer videos a few times (years ago) but never delved any deeped into other videos. Thanks for mentioning it.

Engineer BrunS?

Nope. Not it.

I've been trying to find it myself now for a few days. No luck.

I've been looking for "russian" machining videos as well as checking AvE's videos for the one where he has a short clip of a piece of steel skating (or floating) accross another shitty looking heavily pitted piece of steel. The two pieces were lapped together and the steel can "float" on the other because it takes a while for ALL of the air to escape from between the two surfaces.

Nope. Not it.

I've been trying to find it myself now for a few days. No luck.

I've been looking for "russian" machining videos as well as checking AvE's videos for the one where he has a short clip of a piece of steel skating (or floating) accross another shitty looking heavily pitted piece of steel. The two pieces were lapped together and the steel can "float" on the other because it takes a while for ALL of the air to escape from between the two surfaces.

this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwizm7-UbU or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj6jmQxZe8s

edit. you allready found it

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh