What's new

The wedgy

Wtf why didn't the Pic go?

photo2299.jpg

Not sure if it's my terrible internet or getting used to the new site.

Bought a small wedge trailer from 2big bronco, it has 32' of deck, 5200lb axles,it's decentlyish home built. Could be better, but could be a whole lot worse.

First thing on the list is to convert it to a gooseneck, and probably a bigger jack.

Well I was hoping to post some more pics but our new fancy internet is blowing balls.

I tried some local places yesterday and today looking for a goose coupler, came up empty handed. A few places that I didn't make it to yesterday, and went open today might have had it, but oh well, I'll probably just order one, I want a square and most are round anyway.

I'm also debating on what to do for a Jack. The po put a jack for a wood splitter on it :flipoff2: and I'd like something that can lift it loaded. A single ~12k or whatever drop leg seems like the go to. With how unlevel my yard is, I'm really thinking about 2. Buuuuut, I really don't want to spend 1/5th of the purchase price on jacks:flipoff2:

I'm thinking 2 of the smaller ~7k square side handle jacks like these

They aren't designed to be doubled up, but the crank does go through to the other side. So with a little work, I could connect them together. Probably over thinking as usual, but with a rig that high up, a single jack seems scetchy.

image_11240.jpg

The $200 drop leg Jack's at tractor supply would be perfect. Wheres the pic of the 5th wheel hitch on the runner?

Up loading is basically not working (my connection, not this site)

I wonder if I could put the ball in the middle of roof and do 360s without hitting the trailer like the diesel Beatle video? :flipoff2:

My buddy said he has a Toyota dolphin dually rolling chassis, maybe I should get it, mount a 5th wheel plate on the frame and have a micro hot shot rig :flipoff2:

I'm sure a single "big" jack would probably be fine. They're $150 online. But I'm picturing a it loaded with 2 rigs and 1 jack being unstable. I think 2 of those decent small side handle jacks would be plenty of capacity (maybe a little nicer one that what I pictured) and about the same price as 1 big jack.

In my experience fuck this first jack get this second one. If you don't feel like unloading the trailer before unhooking it from the tow pig then you don't have to.

image_2544.jpg

616HzDaCm1L._AC_SY355_.jpg

In my experience fuck this first jack get this second one. If you don't feel like unloading the trailer before unhooking it from the tow pig then you don't have to.

If you had been reading, I'm trying to decide between 2 of the first style or 1 of the 2nd.

The Pic I chose was definitely a cheesy one (HF)

I was thinking 2 of these, 7k x's2 is more capacity than the single big one.

​​​​

CZTJ7KS(1).jpg

Just skimmed must have missed that. We do have a trailer with the one posted above it's all tongue weight and it works pretty good.

Just skimmed must have missed that. We do have a trailer with the one posted above it's all tongue weight and it works pretty good.

I have a top crank version and I love it, I'll never own a trailer without a drop leg jack again.

I also have the big ass drop leg on my dump trailer. They're nice, but kind of cumbersome if you don't need the capacity.

The other random idea I had was just use the big single jack, and the weld those round tube sockets on each side of the trailer and use the current jack as a stabilizer on the low side when needed.

The dump trailer we had at work had a top crank 7k jack on it. After replacing it twice in 3 years, I welded in a 12k jack and never looked back.
Even if you decide to go with 2, I'd do 2 - 12k over 2 - 7k jacks.

Picked up some shit for this thing today, after looking for a gooseneck coupler for a while, I ended up just buying the weld on piece off Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIO6BD0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_yTxZEbG903HZN?tag=91812054244-20

Then I bought some 4x4 and 4.5x4.5 square. I didn't save much money over ordering a square coupler online, but all the ones I found said they would take a week or more to get. Plus I have enough to make a 5th wheel pin that can replace the goose coupler if someone only has a 5th wheel hitch.

I also am contemplating building in an offset to the smaller tube to give me more clearance behind the tailgate.
s-l400.jpg
something like this but nowhere near as much offset.

I also pulled an Action Fab, ignored everyones advice and bought 2 of the smaller drop leg jacks.:flipoff2:

Bought a small wedge trailer from 2big bronco, it has 32' of deck, 5200lb axles,it's decentlyish home built. Could be better, but could be a whole lot worse.

First thing on the list is to convert it to a gooseneck, and probably a bigger jack.

By "decentlyish" do you mean "they attempted to kinda sorta add some triangulation to it but didn't manage to make a single proper node in the entire front half of the trailer? :flipoff2:

They could have made a properly triangulated structure with a handful of minor changes but I guess they were too lazy to cut pieces with angles on both ends of them.

It's probably fine for what it is but I'd still be annoyed.

By "decentlyish" do you mean "they attempted to kinda sorta add some triangulation to it but didn't manage to make a single proper node in the entire front half of the trailer? :flipoff2:

They could have made a properly triangulated structure with a handful of minor changes but I guess they were too lazy to cut pieces with angles on both ends of them.

It's probably fine for what it is but I'd still be annoyed.

in person the trailer apears plenty strong for what it was designed for. The lack of miter cuts is/was my biggest gripe. That ant the random pieces of diamond plate used to cap tubes and "fishplate"

Yota82 you don't with this thing yet?

in person the trailer apears plenty strong for what it was designed for. The lack of miter cuts is/was my biggest gripe. That ant the random pieces of diamond plate used to cap tubes and "fishplate"

Yota82 you don't with this thing yet?

Haven't touched it.

Been dragging ass on this and the jeep this week. As far as the jeep, the link ends should be here today and shocks are being valved and sprung now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200523_115915.jpg Views:	0 Size:	479.2 KB ID:	18796 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200523_115915.jpg Views:	0 Size:	479.2 KB ID:	18796

This is the shit that is driving me nuts. I'm definitely going to fix the leading cross tubes with one continuous tube. Just not sure if I'm going to cut them all out or?

The weird little 90*s are fucking stupid and ugly also, not sure if I'm going to cut them off or not. Of course it won't be super easy since they're inside the channel.

Why he didn't just do uprights 3" in baffles me. Not like the way he did it is strong.

Also, since I was stubborn and decided to build my own coupler, I need to figure out how to clean the seam out of the 4.5" box tube :homer:

​​​​​​I should have just got 3/16" wall and let it be slightly loose. I plan on the jam screws anyway.

If you had been reading, I'm trying to decide between 2 of the first style or 1 of the 2nd.

The Pic I chose was definitely a cheesy one (HF)

I was thinking 2 of these, 7k x's2 is more capacity than the single big one.

​​​​

Drop the foot out and add holes between the existing ones. Gives you more spots to pin it so less spinning of the handle.

bonus points if you tie both jacks together like you can with the larger ones too.

That thing was a good price! Good thing I didn't show up to buy it because I didn't even notice that it wasn't a GN :homer:

Drop the foot out and add holes between the existing ones. Gives you more spots to pin it so less spinning of the handle.

bonus points if you tie both jacks together like you can with the larger ones too.

I actually thought about that too, I have one on my other trailer I got from 2big bronco :flipoff2: and occasionally I wish it had more holes.

That's the plan, separate handles would be pretty lame :laughing:

I got some 1/2 ID tube to slip over the nub, then plug weld from the inside. Then I got tube that will slip over that to tie the 2 together.

That thing was a good price! Good thing I didn't show up to buy it because I didn't even notice that it wasn't a GN :homer:

He gave me a very good price.

I didn't realize for a bit either. Not a huge deal since the coupler needs to be further forward anyway.

I'm guessing it's a "well this I what I had leftover from the other project" type thing :D

I don't think so, most of it is well done and fairly clean. Just missed the mark on a few things, maybe too much :beer: the night it was finished :laughing:

Gave up on the 4.5x4.5x250 and got some 4.5x4.5x188, total brain fart on my part.

Got the hitch pretty much done today. I may add some plates to tie the inside of the channel to the quare tube if that makes sense.
IMG_20200602_175926_01.jpg
IMG_20200602_193505_01.jpg

Hard to see but I filled the ~12" x 30" area that the pin box was in with 3/16 plate. You can see the piece I bought to do the top but I basically decided it wasn't necessary and this was have me a little stash spot for straps or whatever.

Top Back Refresh