What's new

The other time suck

Oddball

Member Number
Loc
Canaderp
Here's my 50 Dodge deluxe 2 door sedan. Just did a bunch of work to get it going for this season of car shows. This summer id like to get the interior finished. Makes it hard to get the wheeler finished when I have this old girl. Looking for some interior bits if anyone has some leads.

Attachments

• 20240414_150317.jpg
    20240414_150317.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240414_150333.jpg
    20240414_150333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
One of the coolest cars i ever found at a pnp was a dodge coronet of that generation.

I did manage to get the script badges of it
I think the coronet was a larger car than mine. This being a Canadian car, it's basically a plymouth with dodge bits. The whole grill looks the same as a coronet, but it's shrunken. The main thing that won me over, is that it's a fastback. And it's all stock, flathead six, three on the tree, four wheel drums, the "works".

One of the coolest cars i ever found at a pnp was a dodge coronet of that generation.

I did manage to get the script badges of it
I've always wanted a Dodge/Plymouth of that generation, particularly with the weird fluid coupling manual that proved to be an engineering dead end.

Passed on one that was all original and just needed floors a few years ago because "no new projects". Been regretting it ever since.

I've always wanted a Dodge/Plymouth of that generation, particularly with the weird fluid coupling manual that proved to be an engineering dead end.

Passed on one that was all original and just needed floors a few years ago because "no new projects". Been regretting it ever since.
Funny thing is, everything is available to rebuild the fluid drive. It would be weird, taking off like a regular manual, shifting to third, and then just leaving it there all day. When it starts to leak, it's possible to just lock it out and drive it as a manual.

I got to work on a 54 plymoth hy-drive.

Torque converter filled with motor oil passaged through channels in the bellhousing to a clutch.

In all the old 50s radio shows i listen to youll hear commercials for them and even mentioned in a show (not a commercial)

I got to work on a 54 plymoth hy-drive.

Torque converter filled with motor oil passaged through channels in the bellhousing to a clutch.
Yeah those are the real cool ones. 1.5ish year stop gap in various models for 1953/54 until the torque flite became sufficiently available in 54/55. Everything from 39-53ish was the bog standard fluid coupling.

I'm casually on the hunt for a Fluid Drive early Hemi (preferably) or flathead I6 for a hot build.

Yeah those are the real cool ones. 1.5ish year stop gap in various models for 1953/54 until the torque flite became sufficiently available in 54/55. Everything from 39-53ish was the bog standard fluid coupling.

I'm casually on the hunt for a Fluid Drive early Hemi (preferably) or flathead I6 for a hot build.
Split exhaust manifolds and dual carbs would be cool. The fuel distribution on a single carb straight six is not very good. Most canadian car didn't have the fluid drive. They also came with the bigger 25" long engine vs the 23" found in USA cars. Performance upgrades would be purely for the cool factor. This car has no problem keeping up with modern traffic. I've hit 95 MPH once or twice. But at that speed the engine is well over its working range of power. Peak hp is around 3600, and you really don't want to go much over 4k.:tank:

Split exhaust manifolds and dual carbs would be cool. The fuel distribution on a single carb straight six is not very good.
Meh, stock would be fine for cruising around.

They also came with the bigger 25" long engine vs the 23" found in USA cars.
I assume you're talking the Chrysler/Plymouth vs the dodge/DoSoto I6

Performance upgrades would be purely for the cool factor. This car has no problem keeping up with modern traffic. I've hit 95 MPH once or twice. But at that speed the engine is well over its working range of power. Peak hp is around 3600, and you really don't want to go much over 4k.:tank:
Need more gear. With the fluid drive taking off without burning the clutch wouldn't be an issue. :flipoff2:

I thought it was chrysler, desoto and trucks vs plymouths and dodges with the 23"
You may be right. IDK. I just know that Chrysler is the good one and Dodge is the bad one. :laughing:
My car has a 3.73. The fluid drive robs a lot of hp.
That's still like 3250-3500rpm at 65 assuming 25" tall tire. A 3.31 would be a better choice for highway cruising but you'd lose the low end.

The fluid drive can't be robbing that much or it'd cook itself. Certainly less power lost to it than a 3spd auto.

That's still like 3250-3500rpm at 65 assuming 25" tall tire. A 3.31 would be a better choice for highway cruising but you'd lose the low end.
tire is 28" tall. An overdrive would be nice, but not crucial.
The fluid drive can't be robbing that much or it'd cook itself. Certainly less power lost to it than a 3spd auto.
I think a modern torque converter is more efficient. I'm just speculating.

tire is 28" tall. An overdrive would be nice, but not crucial.

I think a modern torque converter is more efficient. I'm just speculating.
My understanding is that a torque converter is fundamentally less efficient than a fluid coupling. That’s the trade off you have to make for torque multiplication.

Top Back Refresh