What's new

The other AZ 4wd conversion The store brand version

They are dirt simple.
I've been bench building this thing in my head for a while now, I've seen them built with 05 plus coil buckets and radius arm brackets, I'm not opposed to that, but also not sure it's necessary

In starting to think I can use 79 f150 4wd lift coils in the 2wd towers, with the lower perches moved in as necessary

I have been looking at steering boxes, while I have a 70s f150 4wd box, I was considering an 80s dodge Saginaw box outside the frame...

I used a 70s ford 2wd box on my 71 bronco crawler with 5.5" coils and a wild horses bracket, it used to be a common swap for taller broncos, I was happy with it.

Last week I ran into a buddy with a f100 bump side, he didn't know what box he had, but I recognized it as a 2wd box, and it fit the chassis well enough, it was swapped 20 plus years ago before he got the truck. It's a common box, I might go that route, hopefully a little cleaner on the install.

Anyways I'm a couple weeks away from tearing into the 79

/attachments/20230122_135541-jpg.640537/?hash=4146c79f225a0f2d7bd015bdd34afae4
20230122_135551.jpg
20230122_135602.jpg

Attachments

• 20230122_135541.jpg
    20230122_135541.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
That inside frame mounted box would shorten that draglink a little bit which is nice for maintaining angle/length with the trackbar.

Another option would be a superduty box. Battlebornbrakes.com sells a kit for that swap on a 2wd and a 4wd as well I think (or you can just get ideas and DIY).

Curious on your thoughts for the front crossmember. My plan when I tear into the 75 f250 2wd is to cut the stock one out and fab one up in the same location as the one on my 78 f150 4x4. It’s quite a bit forward which is nice as it clears the axle and doesn’t interfere with the engine at all. I guess the engine towers and engine itself provide enough of a faux-crossmember which allows the front crossmember to be so far forward but maybe I’m missing something?

Yeah, the super duty box is on my radar, there's a year split as well, the latter is supposedly beefier

I'd poked around at battle born, their stuff is pricey, but maybe I'll just make a Chinese blueprint

As for the cross member, I plan on pulling the body and engine, mocking up the axle, then building a cross member, then cutting away at the 2wd cross member till I'm satisfied

I would use a 80-96 steerin box. Cheap and plentify in the JYs. pick one that doesn't leak or have slop and use as is.
I have a few of them, it seems it would take a chunk of real estate where the radiator is, iirc you used one with some substantial fab work

Top Back Refresh