What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Ripped the gravel bike from the house tonight. Headed to the State game lands through some unmaintained roads to gravel to single track. Then back home on a old electric line access road. The views were on point!

20240813_185420.jpg

one RIM for $350?

I've been riding these wheels since last fall. The quality is good, and if you want to pay a little more you can get a DTswiss clone hub.
The trails around here are not easy on wheels, and last time I went to tension and true them, they only needed minimal adjustment. They have reset my expectations of price on a wheelset, no more $1k-$1500 wheels for me.
Yeah, one strong as fuck, lifetime no questions asked warranty, made in Canuckistan rim. :flipoff2:

Been there, done that! 1st day of a 4 day trip to Raystown I gutted my knee on the only rocks there. At least isn't all ripped to shreds. Looks like it's time to take a break for a few days.
Bummed as we were planning on camping / shuttling Mt. Pinos this weekend. I am still trying to get my sons bike tuned up with some new parts and get out to camp but I think I am relegated to shuttle driver.

Now I just need a fast kid to ride it :laughing: got the complete bike for about 1/2 retail of the wheels alone. Figure I'll cherry pick the best parts between his 2 bikes and sell what's left
Just having him there riding it is half of the battle. He could develop his attack instinct later, or maybe he never will and that is fine too. I wish I supported my son more in BMX than I did.

Just having him there riding it is half of the battle. He could develop his attack instinct later, or maybe he never will and that is fine too. I wish I supported my son more in BMX than I did.
100%. We're not shooting to race at anything other than local and have fun, but I love that they get out there and get to learn that aspect of bike handling and get used to riding in races. Adds another thing into my kids' mountain bike skills toolbox.

Bummed as we were planning on camping / shuttling Mt. Pinos this weekend. I am still trying to get my sons bike tuned up with some new parts and get out to camp but I think I am relegated to shuttle driver.

I rode 2 days after, it sucked a bit but they were across the inside of my knee. I'm not advocating it but it can be done. I wouldn't do it now but 10 years ago I didn't think things through. I was at least smart enough to wrap it real good and put pads on over it.

Got out on the primal last night for the 1st time in 2 weeks. Between weather, group ride cancelled and new bike it's been sitting. I swear riding the gravel bike is making me a better mtn biker. I felt amazing all night and felt like I hardly rode after. My friend was huffing and puffing up climbs he typically kills me on and I was just spinning away behind him.

Anyways everyone loves pictures. We ride through a lot of turn of the century ruins. This is inside the main building of Thomas iron works where we took a break. Trail literally runs right through the building.

FB_IMG_1723680837273.jpg

FB_IMG_1723747853927.jpg

RPS1030 sent me a fork. This is my first time having bling fork on a bike of my own, there is very much a difference. Other fork is a flag flapping in the wind, this one is as active as aSan Andreas seismograph. It’s easily the nicest piece of MTB hardware in my possession :laughing:

IMG_3456.jpeg

First ride on it today made me thankful that my wife and i already decided that we’re done procreating.

IMG_3468.jpeg

I hate people that can’t do their job which is everyone these days. Bought my boy a trek Marin 5. Was told it was tubeless ready. Tear it apart. Rims are not fucking tubeless ready.

That sucks. Get some DT Swiss rim tame and POOF- tubeless ready, yes?
So now they’re saying yeah they are tubeless ready wheels. But the seam on this rim is leaking like a bitch.

However, to my complete and utter disbelief. They took a wheel off another bike in the store and are swapping it over right now while I wait. I’m still not 100% certain these rims are tubeless ready but I guess we’re gonna find out. Not really impressed with their competency and knowledge of their products, especially since they only sell trek bikes in the store.

So now they’re saying yeah they are tubeless ready wheels. But the seam on this rim is leaking like a bitch.

However, to my complete and utter disbelief. They took a wheel off another bike in the store and are swapping it over right now while I wait. I’m still not 100% certain these rims are tubeless ready but I guess we’re gonna find out. Not really impressed with their competency and knowledge of their products, especially since they only sell trek bikes in the store.
Oh they're converting it for you? haha, sounds like they shot themselves in the foot!

I've noticed some tires brands seal up much better than others on a rim(part of the reason I'm a maxxis whore), but it would be quite impressive if trek(bontranger) bike tires don't seal up on their trek tubeless rim.

Oh they're converting it for you? haha, sounds like they shot themselves in the foot!

I've noticed some tires brands seal up much better than others on a rim(part of the reason I'm a maxxis whore), but it would be quite impressive if trek(bontranger) bike tires don't seal up on their trek tubeless rim.
In a revelation, totally surprising to me. They actually took a wheel off of a bike at the store and swapped it over because the seam on my boys wheel was not in the best shape. So we’re gonna make practice tonight.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Heck ya! I'm about to be up there this weekend. How was toads? What else did you ride?
Toads was solid. Kind dry-ish, but not too washed out. Creeks running down low. Climb up from Big Meadow was stout. First time on it for me, so several rock gardens and blind moves were as advertised and walked.

Damn near perfect weather this week, just windy at times. Only ride as it was also vacation stuff for the woman’s bday.

I am so bummed. Idyllwild weekend coming up. There is a new trail and a re-imagine of another trail up there I was really looking forward to playing on. But... My friken leg is still not healed up. I am 15 days in and it is showing blood on the dressing. Caught an infection on day 6. Thankfully my dog recognized there was an issue and I went to urgent care. They put me on one antibiotic only to switch it out for another one a few days later.

Dam that sucks, 2 weeks out you should've been good to go?
Yeah, I know it was a pretty bad wound (5" long and all the way deep) and the infection didn't help, but I would have thought it would be further along. Initial was 7-10 days and the stitches should come out...

For you guys using Strava premium, sign up for the challenges. The Pearl Izumi one is $40 off your next purchase for 6 hours of activity between August 18th-31st. I needed shoes anyway and already was doing the activities. I certainly helps offset the cost of a Strava membership.

Wife wanted to get a bike, so we went to the bike store. She got a gravel/path bike and I talked myself into a new mt. bike as well. Last one was a 1999 6500, that I bought new. Was originally going to grab a Marlin 5/6, but decided to go with a 7 or 8 for the few upgraded components. Upsold myself even more to get the Gen 3 with dropper post, partially because that was the size that fit me, partially because I am a sucker for 'neat stuff' ha :lmao:. Should be interesting to ride something new. I am gonna need to get back in shape!

Attachments

• IMG_8146.jpg
    IMG_8146.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8145.jpg
    IMG_8145.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8148.jpg
    IMG_8148.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8147.jpg
    IMG_8147.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
7 ebike laps on some trails that shall not be named in Santa Cruz.

Been riding a lot of non-ebike lately, but this ride kicked my ass even with the extra help. Personally feel this is how ebikes should get used. No pics of me, but the trails were rad enough I snapped a shot when we stopped to session and area.
1000001529.jpg

1000001531.jpg

Top Back Refresh