What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

The same reason some guys prefer to wheel in their XJ on 31's vs their buggy on 42's.
The trails you ride on a carbon full sus 12 speed bike are completely different on a SS hardtail. Your focus is different, lines are different, effort is different. I tend to focus on cornering and more direct lines, because I know if I lose speed, I can't just pedal to get it back.

The worst thing about SS is you're always in the wrong gear.
The best thing about SS is you're always in the right gear.
One of the best pieces of advice I received for MTBing was from an older, long-time rider. I was struggling with finding the rhythm of a local trail. It was a constant battle for me to gear right through its odd ups and downs (which are all short both ways), and I constantly felt like I was fighting the trail with shifting and such. He told me, "Find a gear you like on that particular trail, stay in that gear, no matter how hard it is to punch up the climbs and how much it feels like you're spinning on the decents." Worked like a charm to get me to better understand the rhythm of the run.

Ride it now with shifting, but a completely different understanding of the patterns. And I don't shift as much or as widely as I used to.

The same reason some guys prefer to wheel in their XJ on 31's vs their buggy on 42's.
The trails you ride on a carbon full sus 12 speed bike are completely different on a SS hardtail. Your focus is different, lines are different, effort is different. I tend to focus on cornering and more direct lines, because I know if I lose speed, I can't just pedal to get it back.

The worst thing about SS is you're always in the wrong gear.
The best thing about SS is you're always in the right gear.
I rode a BMX bike everywhere including some big climbs and stupid downhill. I thought it was funny passing mountain bikes going up the black bitch in Sycamore Canyon and I was surprised I didn't die climbing the Norwegian Grade riding back to Newbury park from the Camarillo Blue ramp. But I am still smart enough to know it sucked then too. My sons TJ is on 33s, and I wheel a locked CTD Megacab on 37s. I know all about making the wrong tool work, but that doesn't mean that I am always happy about it while doing it.

One of the best pieces of advice I received for MTBing was from an older, long-time rider. I was struggling with finding the rhythm of a local trail. It was a constant battle for me to gear right through its odd ups and downs (which are all short both ways), and I constantly felt like I was fighting the trail with shifting and such. He told me, "Find a gear you like on that particular trail, stay in that gear, no matter how hard it is to punch up the climbs and how much it feels like you're spinning on the decents." Worked like a charm to get me to better understand the rhythm of the run.

Ride it now with shifting, but a completely different understanding of the patterns. And I don't shift as much or as widely as I used to.
I shifted way less on my Amish than I do on my E. That Shimano 8001 goes dead without the right cadence and being 3 gears too high when it goes analog is way different than powering through a short section being one.

I shifted way less on my Amish than I do on my E. That Shimano 8001 goes dead without the right cadence and being 3 gears too high when it goes analog is way different than powering through a short section being one.
Oh yeah, for sure. The E's like the higher cadence.

I gotta drive 15 mins
200.gif

Shoot, if I could drive 5 minutes from my house, hop on my dirt bike and go for a 2 hour long ride on single track right after work, I'd be riding my mountain bike a lot less.
This is why I'm really not in a hurry to get my kid into motorcycles. Mountain bike are so much more practical where we live. I have enough hobbies that require driving.

This is why I'm really not in a hurry to get my kid into motorcycles. Mountain bike are so much more practical where we live. I have enough hobbies that require driving.
We ride moto when we can, but it's few and far between compared to mountain bikes. I gotta say, at the age they are right now, a motor makes a huge difference in how long they can stay out riding.

We got out to some pretty rad places last November:
1723145531278.png

I love riding my mtn bike but I have to take it someplace(worthwhile anyway) to ride typically. I hop on my gravel bike a lot now cause it's just easier. Leave from the house ride anywhere, does easier singletrack no problem and ride home.

30 years ago I could hop on my moto and leave from my house. Not gonna happen these days.

MTB what's it worth?....

I haven't tried selling stuff since the bike boom ended. But I have realized I am on a heavy bike, without the travel to boot, so I've got my frameset up for sale in an attempt to fund a longer travel bike.

frame is a XL Fuel EX Carbon. MSRP is 3900 dollars, I am asking 3k with a DHX2 installed on it. Too much of an ask?

p6pb27064606.jpg

MTB what's it worth?....

I haven't tried selling stuff since the bike boom ended. But I have realized I am on a heavy bike, without the travel to boot, so I've got my frameset up for sale in an attempt to fund a longer travel bike.

frame is a XL Fuel EX Carbon. MSRP is 3900 dollars, I am asking 3k with a DHX2 installed on it. Too much of an ask?

p6pb27064606.jpg
Somewhere between $1500-2k would be my guess. Frames are super cheap and plentiful right now

MTB what's it worth?....

I do a lot of buying/selling.
My general rule of thumb is that a used bike part will sell for around 50% of what you can buy a new one for. I list for around 60% and I assume every offer (even super lowballs) could lead to a sale.
For a carbon frame, the lack of a warranty for the second owner is a big deal to me.

I saw complete carbon fuels going for $2500 on FB classifieds with nips on the tires still. Why would anyone pay 3k for a frame and shock that's not new with a warranty? It sucks but that's the reality of it.

Umm, not really on sale, I don't think.

Here's today's "sale" price.

1000061081.jpg

Here's what I paid a few months ago, without the "sale."

1000061078.jpg

Black friday bullshit.
Pretty sure they just raised their prices across the board. I was actually surprised they hadn't done it sooner. I hope it's that and not black Friday bullshit :flipoff2:

Umm, not really on sale, I don't think.

Here's today's "sale" price.

Here's what I paid a few months ago, without the "sale."

Black friday bullshit.
one RIM for $350?

I've been riding these wheels since last fall. The quality is good, and if you want to pay a little more you can get a DTswiss clone hub.
The trails around here are not easy on wheels, and last time I went to tension and true them, they only needed minimal adjustment. They have reset my expectations of price on a wheelset, no more $1k-$1500 wheels for me.

Caution kids, rocks are sharp. Went off trail and slid down some shale rock / dirt on the embankment on my shin and elbow. 17 stiches later.

Been there, done that! 1st day of a 4 day trip to Raystown I gutted my knee on the only rocks there. At least isn't all ripped to shreds. Looks like it's time to take a break for a few days.

Top Back Refresh