What's new

The Moonshine Motel - Enclosed Gooseneck "Crawler Hauler" Build

I don't use my FB account for much, but searching cargo trailer conversions, seems like there is lots of concerns. Figured I'd ask, my plan was to crack two windows, one ford, one aft. Thanks for your input, actual experience is good info.

There are some very valid concerns running a propane heater inside a closed space. My point was I have no concerns, having used it many times with just one fore window cracked an inch and all the vents closed.

When I use it in my land cruiser, there's tons of condensation, even with a window cracked. I don't see any condensation in the motel at all when I use the same heater.

CO2 is a concern, but not huge. That's why having a window cracked is sufficient, especially since the buddy heaters have a co2 Shutoff built in. CO is also a concern, which is why it's recommended to have an alarm/monitor, but I also want one in case of genny exhaust making its way in the motel. I have never smelled anything, but you never know.

Hth.

There are some very valid concerns running a propane heater inside a closed space. My point was I have no concerns, having used it many times with just one fore window cracked an inch and all the vents closed.

When I use it in my land cruiser, there's tons of condensation, even with a window cracked. I don't see any condensation in the motel at all when I use the same heater.

CO2 is a concern, but not huge. That's why having a window cracked is sufficient, especially since the buddy heaters have a co2 Shutoff built in. CO is also a concern, which is why it's recommended to have an alarm/monitor, but I also want one in case of genny exhaust making its way in the motel. I have never smelled anything, but you never know.

Hth.
Absolutely agree on concerns, many in the FB groups refuse to try it, and if questions are asked about running buddy heaters, it comes off poorly with no actual experience seemingly. Glad you had mentioned using one. Its my main plan for heat.

Do you think lack of condensation in the motel is from more space? We had a ton of condensation using it on our truck topper/cap, but that was small in comparison.

My main use will be a slide in camper I'm refurbing to replace our cap, but if I really like the cargo trailer experience I may change directions. Both have their advantages I feel.

I plan on alarms too. Thanks again for the info!

Absolutely agree on concerns, many in the FB groups refuse to try it, and if questions are asked about running buddy heaters, it comes off poorly with no actual experience seemingly. Glad you had mentioned using one. Its my main plan for heat.

Do you think lack of condensation in the motel is from more space? We had a ton of condensation using it on our truck topper/cap, but that was small in comparison.

My main use will be a slide in camper I'm refurbing to replace our cap, but if I really like the cargo trailer experience I may change directions. Both have their advantages I feel.

I plan on alarms too. Thanks again for the info!

I would expect more condensation in a smaller space yes, but it depends on your insulation too. Less insulated walls (and obvs windows) will condensate more.

As for the lack of condensation in the motel, I assume it's due to space yes. The thing is huge! Lol

Probably a combination of space and relative humidity in the air, as I understand it the condensation is part of the chemical reaction when you burn propane, so condensation or lack thereof depends on how much space you have for the more humid air to spread out into and how much humidity you have to add into the air to reach the dew point in that space.
Once you reach the dew point then you'll start to see significant condensation.

Aaron Z

I use a buddy heater in mine with similarly great results. Crack a vent and sleep soundly. I’ve got a CO monitor that’s only ever been tripped by a neighbor’s generator running AC at the racetrack

Have been on a few trips with the motel since June. Good times as always.

PXL_20221023_202423513.MP.jpg

New truck for a buddy of mine.

PXL_20230129_202312735.jpg

New led sign for the motel. Think I'll stick it in one of the windows inside so you can see it from outside.

PXL_20221225_162613221.MP.jpg

I've recently developed the need to transport cars. The motel's lift makes the ramp door too steep for cars, so I picked up some 6' ramps via Amazon from vevor. They seem well made for the $400 price point.

Even with the ramps, the flip up portion of the ramp door was interfering, and the ramp door had no lip to latch them onto.

So, I took off the flip down part and made notches in the door for the ramps to latch in. Seems to work well. I'll test it with a car in the next day or so.

PXL_20230131_001300545.jpg

PXL_20230131_001314415.jpg

Been buried in life stuff, missed the comments on the space heaters...

My little brother and his dog died of asphyxiation a year ago this month while using a Little Buddy heater in too small of a space. There's a difference between carbon monoxide poisoning and asphyxiation. Window was cracked but it wasn't enough to pull fresh air in apparently.

I used to use one in my 20x8.5. Roof vents open I remember one time getting sleepy in the shower. Was already a bit paranoid of the Little Buddy, so stopped the shower immediately and shut the heater off and opened a door. There was no doubt it was the heater.

Y'all just be careful please. It's worth the money to install a legit heater along with a bottle of propane or a diesel heater, etc.
Also a lot easier to use once it's all dialed in!

Last edited:
GLTHFJ60 glad to see some updates and awesome signage.

BlackfishFab sorry to read about your brother and an unfortunate but good reminder to know the differences between those symptoms/issues of a space heater and confined spaces.

Posted this vid in the other thread, but it's a tool for this trailer, so I'll share it here too. This jack adapter works great for quick uncoupling, leveling, or anything else. Works well when the trailer is loaded too, or when picking up the back of the truck a bit to level things out.

I have learned that my 280AH lifepo4 battery array is insufficient for my uses without supplemental power. The motel is set up with a victoron multiplus 2, "2x120" 3000w inverter, then a residential style mini fridge, with LED lights inside, and a large LED strip light on the outside for hanging out. In the summer we also run a 24" drum fan, which makes a massive, and I mean massive, difference when hanging out under the awning.

Anyway, the batteries will die in less than a day with that type of usage. The diesel 240v generator charges it relatively quickly, and it's not too loud, but it's annoying to listen to for a long period of time. I'd rather just use the generator when I need to power a welder, the AC, or in an emergency, as opposed to every day when we get back from wheeling.

The plan is to get some solar installed in the near future. I'm thinking 1000w or so of solar will be enough, and with how big the roof is, I should be able to fit way more than that. 4-6 residential style 300a panels on top will fit wonderfully. I would like to add a second battery array as well, but I don't have a spot allocated for it yet, hence doing solar first.

8HLk29xXWhWS4OCx5QPy_u-A=w972-h732-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

zXOOgkOvGiFYltx5jJWqJpQA=w972-h732-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Glad to see an update to the motel and can't wait to see the solar additions. I need to take a look at my enclosed to see if the jack adapter will work or not.

The drill adapter is nice. I tried to cobble something together for my gooseneck, to use an impact, and it did not work. I have seen a few write-ups for converting them with a cheap atv winch, but the drill would be so much more convenient.

Id say that drum fan sucks a ton of juice from your battery bank. Wonder if there is a 12v solution, so you dont loose the conversion? Or a window/oscillating fan? Either way, having more power/storage isnt a bad thing.

The drill adapter is nice. I tried to cobble something together for my gooseneck, to use an impact, and it did not work. I have seen a few write-ups for converting them with a cheap atv winch, but the drill would be so much more convenient.

Id say that drum fan sucks a ton of juice from your battery bank. Wonder if there is a 12v solution, so you dont loose the conversion? Or a window/oscillating fan? Either way, having more power/storage isnt a bad thing.

Thanks. I had intended to use a cheap winch, but figured the drill adapter was easier to try first. I've read that using an impact isn't a good idea, because it'd just hammer the jack's internal teeth. I was surprised how well the drill worked tbh.

You're right that the drum fan pulls a ton of power, and so does the residential mini fridge I'm sure, but it's so damn convenient to use regular cheap appliances. To run a 12v fan that pushes this much air would be some serious amperage, so I'm not sure it'd even be worth trying. I didn't buy that expensive ass well featured inverter to not use every watt of capacity in it, lol.

Solar was always part of the plan, and it looks like I can get 250w residential panels for about $50 each, so it won't be an expensive ordeal. Add a victron mppt that integrates to the inverter and monitor I've already got, and it'll be sweet.

Thanks. I had intended to use a cheap winch, but figured the drill adapter was easier to try first. I've read that using an impact isn't a good idea, because it'd just hammer the jack's internal teeth. I was surprised how well the drill worked tbh.

You're right that the drum fan pulls a ton of power, and so does the residential mini fridge I'm sure, but it's so damn convenient to use regular cheap appliances. To run a 12v fan that pushes this much air would be some serious amperage, so I'm not sure it'd even be worth trying. I didn't buy that expensive ass well featured inverter to not use every watt of capacity in it, lol.

Solar was always part of the plan, and it looks like I can get 250w residential panels for about $50 each, so it won't be an expensive ordeal. Add a victron mppt that integrates to the inverter and monitor I've already got, and it'll be sweet.
Fan wise, there’s another option. We’ve got a Ryobi drum fan that runs off the 18 volt batteries or can be plugged in. Same air output battery or plugged in.

Single 4aH battery lasts about 4.5-5 hours on high or around 8 hours on low. When it dies, we just grab another battery and drop the first one on a charger. Recharging a small tool battery is minimal draw on the system in comparison to the plugged in drum fan. See if your favorite tool manufacturer makes a fan like that.

Fan wise, there’s another option. We’ve got a Ryobi drum fan that runs off the 18 volt batteries or can be plugged in. Same air output battery or plugged in.

Single 4aH battery lasts about 4.5-5 hours on high or around 8 hours on low. When it dies, we just grab another battery and drop the first one on a charger. Recharging a small tool battery is minimal draw on the system in comparison to the plugged in drum fan. See if your favorite tool manufacturer makes a fan like that.
Dewalt does, but it's a 8" or 10" fan instead of a 24" drum fan. A cordless fan like that would be appropriate for sleeping, but not for cooling down a group of 10-15 dudes sitting in a circle under the awning, lol.

Dewalt does, but it's a 8" or 10" fan instead of a 24" drum fan. A cordless fan like that would be appropriate for sleeping, but not for cooling down a group of 10-15 dudes sitting in a circle under the awning, lol.
Ah gotcha and that’s unfortunate. We’ve got both of those size fans in Ryobi so I totally get the differences.

Another year has passed, which means it's time for another round of trailer work.

First up, permanently mounting the "Moonshine Motel" sign. Elected to recess it in the exterior wall to keep it protected and prevent it from snagging on shit I'm driving past, like branches and what not. This is that process.

Have to finish screwing the recess panel in and seal everything up. Will likely mount a few trinkets in there with the sign, to make a little diorama. I am still a child after all, lol.

PXL_20240327_191821440.jpg
PXL_20240327_193549604.jpg
PXL_20240327_194249432.MP.jpg
PXL_20240328_202323955.jpg
PXL_20240328_203336598.jpg
PXL_20240328_210746312.jpg
PXL_20240328_213428527.jpg
PXL_20240328_222304513.MP.jpg
PXL_20240328_222312876.jpg
PXL_20240328_222320302.jpg

Top Back Refresh