What's new

The inevitable snowball of all my projects.

Will12785

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse, NY
Does anyone else have this problem? Even the most simple of projects turn into over build over complex impossible to finish quickly full on rebuilds.

Heres my latest.

I've been on the lookout for a 4 speed to put behind the 460 in my bronco. I had a deal lined up but it fell through. Well I found another one, but its attached to a 6.9! I can already see what's about to unfold.

Long ago before I even start a project the basically mapped it out. And learned not deviate from it. But yeah, can't answer your question, been there done that. I hated it.

I do it every time. I have stuff I've never touched because I don't want to lose it. Started to do a cummins swap in Ford Centurion but quit before I got started because I don't want it to end up in never finished land. I bought a Polaris rzr thinking I could do a bolt on build. NOPE, I decided to go full cray on the suspension and I'm doing cut/fab work on it. The dam thing hasn't left the property since I bought it in february and it's sitting on jack stands waiting to be finished like most my projects devolve into.

Long ago before I even start a project the basically mapped it out. And learned not deviate from it. But yeah, can't answer your question, been there done that. I hated it.

This is a strategy I need to take up.

I have a motorcycle in my garage right now, I was just going to install a CDI kit.

It's in the middle of a full on rebuild and maybe a re-phase motor conversion. (Hughe’s Hand Built re-phase are the shit) and if anyone knows the story of him being laid up, post it up. Inatagram looks like he had a crash)

And don't get me started on my poor COE .

:-(

Part of me wants to get rid of EVERY PROJECT and start over. (or don't)

They have all become overwhelming and I hate the heat more and more. And I am tired of seeing money going out for a project that has no end in sight.

Last edited:
And just to add along the same lines, I will only take on one project at a time. I won't even start another until it is done. There is only one project on the board at a time.

Pulled the tagalong compressor out of the woods the other day to blow out a crack in the driveway so I could seal it up. Parked it in front of the barn and did my driveway work and didn't think much of it. Drove past the thing for two weeks now and thought it could really use an hour with the power washer before I put it away. Now long story short there's a hundred bucks of paint and supplies in the barn waiting for a nice day. That's about the way everything goes

This hits me right in the feelers...

48 cj2a. Picked it up for $1500. Motor was locked up, but it was all there, including nearly new 2.5” lift springs and brand new 33’s. Freed up the motor and drove it. Now it’s V6, SM465, Saginaw steering, custom frame, disk D30, rewire....uhhg

I have a motorcycle in my garage right now, I was just going to install a CDI kit.

It's in the middle of a full on rebuild and maybe a split phase motor conversion.

And don't get me started on my poor COE .

:-(

Part of me wants to get rid of EVERY PROJECT and start over. (or don't)

They have all become overwhelming and I hate the heat more and more. And I am tired of seeing money going out for a project that has no end in sight.

I debate selling everything off all the time. Honestly, the only reason I don't is because I don't want to take a bath on all the shit I've accumulated. I've got way more money tied up in these things than I'll ever get back.

And just to add along the same lines, I will only take on one project at a time. I won't even start another until it is done. There is only one project on the board at a time.

My wife was mowing the lawn so I moved one of the boats into the shop and pulled the cover off the outboard so I could see how much of a pain it's going to be to get that float unstuck. Then I went out and flipped the other boat right side up with the truck because the neighbor is going to hay that field soon. fiddled around trying to get the snake out of it for awhile til it went inside the hull then dragged the POS to the edge of the field and snapped the strap trying to get it back up on the trailer. Walked away from the truck/trailer/boat mess and went to town. When I get home from work today, I'm going to find the crap I need to buff the quarter panel of the Charger cause that smudgy shit is bothering me.

Luckily my missus sort of manages to keep me in check, still need to finish her kitchen though :lmao:

:flipoff2:

tapatalk_616168550_269x400.jpeg

Everything I do becomes a convoluted nightmare costing me three times as much as I initially prepared for. Everything.

It took me far too long to adopt this policy. I cant spin multiple plates.

I haven't brought a project home since last September, I needed a farm truck, I bought a project... I have made some progress on it.

I've got the vision, can clearly see what I want it to be, even have some modest skills and tools for the application, but I lack the time and/or motivation. I've told some buddies, I no longer really have any projects, I just have parts collections.

Everything I do becomes a convoluted nightmare costing me three times as much as I initially prepared for. Everything.

Like that super duty :flipoff2:

I have an engine in pieces in the garage. Thousands invested and needs a couple more to even think about running. the really sad parts is if makes 150hp I'll be ecstatic.

My kids call it: "MightAsWellitis".

Every fucking thing. Mine, theirs, customers, all have to be done right, which means a simple task ends up a frame off.

59980323399__C42976C3-F0B9-4F85-856A-941BD3B0DF6A.JPG
I got a rusted out low mileage donor truck for my tow rig's engine transplant. Plan was to just remove both engines, re-seal the donor's engine & transplant.

needless to say, it end up a nearly full re-build. Engine block honed, decked, cylinder head work, "The Big Stick" camshaft, full engine paint job, o-ring block, ARP studs, etc. before going back in the tow rig... At least it's actually done and running great now :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Like that super duty :flipoff2:

I have an engine in pieces in the garage. Thousands invested and needs a couple more to even think about running. the really sad parts is if makes 150hp I'll be ecstatic.

Actually quite the contrary. That thing has been great. In fact, a lot of the vehicles I've bought were spot on. I've gone through about a dozen motorcycles and only had two that were complete fuckeries. The Freestyle is a 2005 and has been great.

Its the whole, alright I'm going to have to do some drainage in the backyard. Next thing I know, I have 20yds of stone being delivered, backhoes out, trees coming down, three trips to the building supply store for drainage pipe, back again for the drainage sock, etc. Backyard is all dug up, got piles of rock strewn all about. :rolleyes:

I've got my motorcycle engine apart myself. Hung up on parts ordered. Started this shit in March. I may get it started in July. :homer:

I'll just make my own frame, he said. Can't take that long, he said.

This is my future because no matter how rust free a Ranger is it will never have a strong enough frame to do a doubler and D80 justice unless you build one yourself. :laughing:

I have a sleuth of projects like that... pick your battles! Kitchen sink backing up? Cut the wall apart and upgrade the drain line to 6"! Roof leaking? Can of henry's and a paint brush. :flipoff2:

Fan shroud fab? Fawk yah, 3/16 inch aluminum at $400 dollars a foot and somehow integrate it into the frame! :homer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of, does the Bimmer fall in to this category or did that get back running?

The whole top end got fully rebuilt, and upgraded. Needed a break job, so its getting fully upgraded brakes. Also found a screaming deal on a 6 speed so itll be getting that swapped in too, and a M sport interior. Eventually.

I ditched my doubler for an Ecobox. Gathered all the parts and thought I had everything. I even went and got a new (to me) SM465 to replace the one I had because third gear was gone. To me this was straight forward. Drop the drivetrain and bolt in the new. Nope. I ended up rebuilding the clutch and pressure plate, cutting the exhaust to rotate the 205 up more for clearance, removed the whole rear four link for a redo and a plethora of other odd shit that I didn't see coming. It had it's anniversary in the shop the other day. Now I'm onto a basement remodel that I have to finish before I can really jump back on the Jeep to finish it off.

I'm buried in projects at the moment. Multiple motorcycle restorations at once, project truck that always needs something, dash in my DD has been partially disassembled for stereo shenanigans for a month or two now, just had a free riding mower dropped off this weekend and I still have a fence and a shed to build this summer. The thing I like is when I get frustrated or burned out on one I can switch to another thing for a bit the problem is they all progress really slowly as a result.

Yes. I needed to put new front axle seals in the jeep. No problem...shouldn't be but a couple hours. Pull the axles, pull the cover, disconnect the air line and roll the ARB out. Whatever fucktard assembled this POS before I got it used all kinds of shit for carrier shims...old LSD clutches, etc...and a whole pile of really thin ones, which all tore. Then of course the air line broke out of the collar when I looked at it wrong. Couldn't get straight answers out of anyone as to what shim kit I needed for this thing, and after machining up a shim that should have been perfect but was way to tight, pulled the whole damn axle and brought it to a local driveline shop who's got piles of shims and spares for every axle out there and let them do it. So, 2 hour job turned into about a month on jack stands.....as is typical.

edit: and now the fucking trans is leaking.

Last edited:
My name is Ironic these days, it's from the old site when I spent all my money on rigs and booze, the rest I wasted.

I had to grow up a little.

Projects are planned before they start, and kept on budget, a means to an end.

I don't get into engine rebuilds anymore, they snowball, salvage yard engines are fine.

I don't order parts until teardown is completed, so I'm not financially committed to using any component.

If that part is half worn out, it's still half good.

I pick my battles, I have to accept that some shit is good enough, I sell a lot of half done projects. I sell a lot of project cars.

Everything is for sale. A while ago I got a Lincoln mark 8, that didn't run right, for a song. It's the 32 valve aluminium cobra motor, detuned by 15hp, I'd wanted one for a while, turns out it had a broken cam or timing chain. I couldn't even get the valve cover off without removing the master cylinder, to see what's going on. I didn't have time for it. I could have stick it in storage and let the fuel system gum up, the tires and inteior get sun rot, fuck that, guy offered me a pistol, I delivered the car and threw the gun in the safe.

I don't build guns, off the shelf is fine. I don't modify quads, Honda made it right the first time. I don't soup up my diesels, 400-500lbft moves my trailers just fine, I started towing with 250lb ft

I want a paid for house and a paid for shop, once I have that, I can build all the junk I want, when I find something cool, I have to decide if it will help me reach my goal, or get in my way.

I want to set up a business, an income stream so that I can have freedom to do what I want. So my current project is to set up a sustainable life

I do have a family crawler / truckster moving to front burner, but it's to get it done, and enjoy being outside together, not a jack stand queen

Top Back Refresh