What's new

The future of remote work

Mikel

Member Number
Loc
Conn
It has always been my opinion that if I can do my work from a laptop in my living room, so can someone from India.

What will this huge swing to remote work mean for the US work force long term?

This guy is not optimistic:

Last edited:
Or you could just do a job where your work won't fit in your living room :flipoff2:
20211101_132416.jpg

Maybe not India. But paying a guy 80k a year in Arkansas to do the job of someone you’d have to pay 140k in San Francisco will be a killer for employees
80k and be in the top 1% for the area or 140k and have to have 3 roommates in an apartment in order to afford it does sound like it would suck as an employee....

I work from home, my job is never going to india. As i suspect alot of other people's arent either. I think this is a sentiment held by people who still hold onto the old school conformist mentality of 8-5 required. One of the most stubbornness boomer mentality that i hope is going to die soon.

My job is safe as im only useful when im billing my time. I can only bill time doing basically two things; document review and onsite inspections. Whats the point of having an office?
Nah man you gotta build shit with your hands, those types of jobs would never be sent offshore.

Not enough jobs will leave because of that , but watch what happens to commercial office space/ real estate in the next 4-5 yrs

To a certain extent yes but there are huge needs very little vacancy in industrial commercial warehouse. Companies still need to operation labs refrigeration manufacturing. From 2019 to now every in these categories we were looking at got snatched up even in commiefornia.

This actually is a real problem i see going forward. Every where you go in america right now is vacant commerical office buildings
Not enough jobs will leave because of that , but watch what happens to commercial office space/ real estate in the next 4-5 yrs
Starting to see this at the place I work at as the lease for the building I'm based out of is due next year. The higher ups will be conducting an analysis to see if they actually need such a large space and if they can downsize. Which is fine by me and myself and my team can do 95% of our work from home and the other 5% is going to the different hospitals to work on electronic stuff.

Or you could just do a job where your work won't fit in your living room :flipoff2:
20211101_132416.jpg
As I call one of my former co workers who is a heavy maintenance vendor manager over in China for a major US airline:flipoff2::grinpimp:

Man I love falcons BTW!! When I was working in the FBO world, one of our based customers got one of the first few USA sold 7Xs, I used to just stare at that wing and fuselage profile looking up from the tail. The french really know how to build beautiful biz jets!!!

There's a reason this isn't more common than it already is. Lots of tech companies already use subcontractors in India for some of their work. But it isn't a large percentage. :laughing:

Yup, which hopefully will be changed to affordable housing and fix that crisis.

The cost savings of not having more office space and all the stuff that goes along with keeping employees happy in the office will encourage employers to keep people home.

The cost savings of not having more office space and all the stuff that goes along with keeping employees happy in the office will encourage employers to keep people home.
and in fake wonderland those employers saving money on office space by having employees work from home will split the savings with the employees :lmao:

and in fake wonderland those employers saving money on office space by having employees work from home will split the savings with the employees :lmao:

Well, at least I'll see some in my pocket from that where I am, not my fault if people don't make sure they're compensated fairly.

In many industries its not just a matter of showing up; you need people with the skills to get the job done. Finding those people is not easy. I work with quite a few people from India who are qualified but huge numbers are not. Interestingly, many of my highest performing colleagues from India end up working over here. We have "sweat shops" in India for the boring and tedious work.

Top Back Refresh