What's new

The Cicadas are coming! The Cicadas are coming!

3Cs

Member Number
I've been doing brush removal in the woods and cleaning out landscape beds this week and have been seeing thousands of their escape holes. Gawd I'm not looking forward to this summer. It won't be long til we won't be able to escape the endless drone of those little fukers, not to mention having to use the leaf blower daily just to be able to walk around. I've got several small trees that I'd hate to lose also. Geeze, what a fuked up year or so we're having.

What part of the country are you in? The East somewhere....

About 17 or 18 years ago up in the Mountains of Arizona, we had a cicada season... Dang! All summer long was a deafening grunge of cicada sounds. Seemed like it was cyclic every 8 years or so, but that year was LOUD. And the sheer number of them was staggering. Apparently in the East this year is supposed to be a huge year for em.

What part of the country are you in? The East somewhere....

About 17 or 18 years ago up in the Mountains of Arizona, we had a cicada season... Dang! All summer long was a deafening grunge of cicada sounds. Seemed like it was cyclic every 8 years or so, but that year was LOUD. And the sheer number of them was staggering. Apparently in the East this year is supposed to be a huge year for em.
It’s a 17yr cycle, but they show up every year as there are different.... colony’s? Broods?

The one we’re supposed to see this year is the big brood.

Last time the big one came around the store had people outside shoveling them off of the walls with snow shovels.

I looked these up after a neighbor brought it up a couple of weeks ago. Looks like we're good in TN this year. I remember 10-12 years ago meeting with someone to look at their property and we could barely hold a conversation outside they were so loud. The people said they had been spending a couple of nights a week in a hotel to get away from it.

Here's the map from the Forest Service I found.
activebroods.jpg

One of the things I didn't like about going to the grandparents in West Tx was the cicadas, droning day and night :flipoff2:

Can’t wait. They’re like the A/C in old hotels. They make me get sound sleep
I love cicadas. The sound they make is peaceful and they're really cool bugs. You can hold them in your hand and they'll just crawl around or sit there and croak

Love bugs can get fucked though

Weird how some sounds are okay but others drive ya nuts.
PR has the Coci frogs, I didn't mind them. Drove others nuts
Doves I hate with a passion
My neighbors dog I hate
Crickets no problems

I'm in SW Ohio, we get the Brood X this year. Last big hatch I could hear them over my mower while wearing hearing protection. The large trees all looked like we mulched around them, plus all of the small branches and twigs they cut off. Arrrgh!

There was a bug in Panama that sounded like a little annoying as fuck buzzer. Someone told me they were cicadas, I feel sorry for those who have to deal with them

I guess there's probably at least one upside to having such tiny hands,eh?

Listening to the frogs and our small waterfall from the creek. Life is tough:lmao:
So you parked your backhoe on back 40 and hand dug a creek and built a waterfall hahaha that's awesome! Lol!!! 🤣🤣😁😁😁

Wow running water on the surface, I thought that was only in CGI! :flipoff2:
Sweet looking water falls
We bought the waterfalls and they came with a house:lmao: 3 small creeks feed into those and they are year round. 2 are spring feed on our property and 1 starts from a spring on our neighbors property.

20210505_043411.jpg

Was as big as my hand.
I forget the name of that one (Pussycat Swallowtail!) but I found this guy in the water treatment room at work and took him outside where he was safer.

Little bugger liked the warmth of my finger and didn’t want to let go.

Imperial moth.

F1FC3152-C796-4728-B5F0-669A51CAB44A.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish I had a back 40. I do have a back 5 but my creek is on the front 5:lmao:
578F2058-933D-498A-9CF6-F41C7807A984.jpeg

It’s twin baby waterfalls.
At my farm we do have a back 40. It has one waterfall that was part of an old creekbed. It now flows about 9-10 months

on our upper 40, which is actually a side 40 we have a series of waterfalls that are spring fed and ice cold in the summer
1620262007719.jpeg

Last edited:
Yay and I just planted 100 pecan trees... I bought 300’ of mosquito netting that I’m going to wrap each tree in to keep the fawkers away from them

Top Back Refresh