What's new

The Carseat Crawler

Thefishguy77

Part time dumbass
Member Number
Loc
U.S.S.A. (Washington St.)
Well I may as well start a “build” thread. Nothing really new all been done before but lets get after it anyways.

Started with a 1 owner 85 4runner that was being sold because Toyota told him a broken timing chain guide requires a crate motor. Showed up waiting for him to get to work, where I was meeting him with cash in hand. He had higher offers but held up his end of your first you get first chance as long as your not late. Drive it home that night and ordered a timing chain kit from Engnbldr. Slapped that on and drove it for a year or so before an oil port got plugged and spun a rod bearing. Called up engnbldr again and started talking to him. Figured out the best plan of attack and I was on my way to Portland with a spare block, free, and my existing block.

Went with one of his heads and a 268 cam I believe. Well he called me up and let me know my stuff was ready to pick up and I was back off to Portland. Get my parts home and start putting the bottom end together. About 3 days taking my time with a kid and work and we had a engine that was clean and in theory ready to bolt in.

Well I got it all dropped in and she fired right up, almost like I knew what I was doing. But who am I kidding that was luck. Then she dies. Fire it up and she dies again. Go through all the stupid shit. Replaced all the grounds, made sure connections were tight and clean and same fucking problem. It was definitely electrical as when she would idle she was perfect. Took a frustration break from it and ended up selling our house so now I have to fucking move in September.

Well drag my house and its contents 150 miles to our “cabin” now our home and dont have time to fuck with it for a month or so. Finally have time and it snows, 3 feet in the 2nd week of November and never let up that winter. Since I had no garage here I threw it back on the trailer and drug her north to a buddies shop that lets me use his shop if there is space, he has a big client load so I asked him if I could park it and call me when there is room and time. Well fast forward about 2 weeks and I get a call that his lead tech had been looking at it, he’s a friend as well, and agreed that it was electrical but he didn’t have time to track the problem. So he called in a favor and started tracking down the short. I am a mental midget when it comes to electrical unless I and stuck on the side of the road then somehow it makes sense to me. Well he found 2 cracked wires in the harness both to injectors and called me up and said she runs like a top and I could lick her up when ever. So I get a ride back up and drive her home. About 3 years go by where she was just a daily driver with no time to work on her

Now I start piecing a suspension together as my stock springs a toast. Got some OME springs and shocks and bolted it all together and slammed my new to me 33’s on it and lets boogie. Found a used set of 4 cylinder 3rds with ARB’s and full harness for them with chunked 5:29’s and brought that home and let it sit in my container till time it had a nice patina on it and money permits me to work on it. Well fast forward to last week and Provience steps up and offers to help me regear, I have never met him and he made that offer. Thank you again.

So last Saturday I drive to his place and we pull my rusty shit apart and figure out what we need. The Toyota ring and pinion thread has the disassembly and clean up in it. Called up Marlin to order parts from him because I have always been a fan of their products and find out most all new sets are 29 spline and I counted mine and they are 27 spline. Fawk, add it to the list, so now I have gears, triple drilled flanges and a shifter bushing on the way because I needed one anyways.

So hopefully after Provience helps me get this shit together the last hurdle is out of the way. I will be running them off a pancake compressor to start with until I can afford a decent 12v compressor

will add picture in a bit

Ok took a pic or 2 because pics or it isnt real:flipoff2:

My exhaust is slowly dissolving thanks to deicer, cat is partially plugged as well So a new cat and some 2 1/4 pipe is in the near future. Frame has a lot of surface rust but nothing deepish so I plan on attacking it a section at a time this summer. I am just starting to weld so I am thinking attempting to make some square tube sliders is a bad idea. So I am going to do it.

The best bad ideas start with as little information as possible. Then ensure that you are so financially upside down on the project that it doesn't make sense to sell it.

photo6225.jpg

photo6226.jpg

photo6227.jpg

photo6228.jpg

Ok so I have been ignoring a slow leak in my radiator. Well its picking up the pace so now I need a new one. There seems to be a lot of radiators for around $100 and under then they jump to about $200. Is the extra hundo worth the jump? Alway heard good things about CSF but is it worth the 200?

And before TOGFO
:flipoff2:

DF4758D4-E6B3-4BDA-8C05-129CA1DEAA97.jpeg

Just put a 3 core radiator in from the same gen 4runner but from a 3.0. So for you either an 88 or 89.

it's plug n play and like 130 bucks at napa

I mean... it has a hospital and a Mexican restaurant.. what else do you need..

I mean... it has a hospital and a Mexican restaurant.. what else do you need..

Not a fucking chance in hell am I stopping at that hospital if I have any say in the matter. They will probably treat you for constipation if you go in for a broken leg.
Never tried the Mexican restaurant, but I do cook a lot of surf and turf at home. Speaking of that I am cooking some white/marbled king for dinner:smokin:

Not a fucking chance in hell am I stopping at that hospital if I have any say in the matter. They will probably treat you for constipation if you go in for a broken leg.
Never tried the Mexican restaurant, but I do cook a lot of surf and turf at home. Speaking of that I am cooking some white/marbled king for dinner:smokin:

They've saved the lifes of a few of my friends.. I'm ok with them. Mexican joint isn't bad.. it's no bucksnort though :grinpimp:

Just put a 3 core radiator in from the same gen 4runner but from a 3.0. So for you either an 88 or 89.

it's plug n play and like 130 bucks at napa

Ok so I got a radiator at napa and put it in when I got home from work. Bolted in fine, fan shroud made 3 out of the 4 holes with the passenger side top hole not lining up to a hole with a nut on it. But the tab an inch below it had a nut, zip tie to the rescue. Went to close the hood and it wont latch. Fairly confident it’s hitting the cap.
Did I get the wrong one? Click image for larger version  Name:	46993C87-5849-40E0-B285-953A6C176117.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	99928 Click image for larger version  Name:	62201A8B-C1BE-4A7A-A27A-C1A4EAF87422.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	196.0 KB ID:	99929 Click image for larger version  Name:	6A72E131-E0BD-4208-B049-F01C2948D19E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	208.0 KB ID:	99930 Click image for larger version  Name:	BA7E1B5C-B36A-4337-BD45-C2C12C1D2CD2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	152.1 KB ID:	99931

You should be able to position it down just a bit so the excess height hangs down below in between the frame rails.

it literally slid right into place on my 84

You should be able to position it down just a bit so the excess height hangs down below in between the frame rails.

it literally slid right into place on my 84

Bo oblonging the holes on the radiator? Honestly asking as the mounting points on the rig appear fixed

I think the cap placement is what does it.

I'm pretty sure you can bolt a rad from a 79 into a 95 and maybe even a 96+ but they changed detail things a bunch over the years.

I think the cap placement is what does it.

I'm pretty sure you can bolt a rad from a 79 into a 95 and maybe even a 96+ but they changed detail things a bunch over the years.

It was 100% the cap. I sprayed some white paint on the suspected contact area on the hood and gently shut it best as I could. Opened it up and the cap had the white paint on it. So a little nip/tuck and a test drive later to confirm no over heating and I’m on the road for work tomorrow. It was either that or roadkill the bitch and just leave the hood off. Boss isn’t thrilled with me driving my shitbox vs my chevy but I think rolling hoodless would have irked him fairly good as a company image thing.
:lmao:

Last edited:
Ok so now that my shit is not leaking my buddy points out my tires need replacing. I am sure I had some minor sidewall bulging but nothing I saw. Well today he looked at my rig and WTF came out of his mouth. All 4 have visible bulging. They are old and it appears they are done being daily drivers. Time to buy tires now that my shit isnt leaking antifreeze. Its always something...

At least I will be able to wheel these till they finally give up having a good set for DDing.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh