What's new

The best Ham and bean soup you can make

Honky Lips

Welcome to the shit show.
Member Number
Loc
Omaha, Ne “ish”
Ham and bean soup

My moms restaurant had the best soup in the world. Lately I’ve been getting some recipes out of her. Nothing overly fancy. Just good home cooked deliciousness

Put a bag of dry northern beans in pot of water and let soak a good 10 hours.. pick out bad beans floating and drain water, add fresh water and ham bone and boil, skimming off farts!!(bubbles that form On water).

In a seperate pan, cook a few diced carrots(if ya want) 1/2 stalk of diced celery with a cpl tablespoons of butter for 3 min, add 2 diced onions and combine with celery for 3 more minutes.

Now add this to your stock pot, (now’s a good time to take bone out and get good meat off it) and add 4 cups cubed ham, also add 1/4 container of (better than bullion) ham base and taste, add more if necessary later, also add lots of pepper, careful with salt as the ham and the base create salt as they cook. And watch beans close, once they get soft to the finger squeeze reduce heat quick or they’ll turn to mush.

Serve with honey cornbread and enjoy.
5D6655FB-4B49-44E6-A662-A067BA9ED141.jpeg
3D31CD32-1B00-49EB-A2C2-B3C5DDDCF133.jpeg
FEB7F310-2C6A-4302-A8AB-07F9648F1D79.jpeg

Ham and bean soup

Put a bag of dry northern beans in pot of water and let soak a good 10 hours.. pick out bad beans floating and drain water, add fresh water and ham bone and boil, skimming off farts!!(bubbles that form On water).
A. What are “northern beans”
2. so…..when soaking beans, the ones that float are bad?

A. What are “northern beans”
2. so…..when soaking beans, the ones that float are bad?
Great northern beans. They are white. And floating beans are bad. Apparently. I don’t ask questions. Just follow directions when it comes to the soups.

When soaking beans, mom always said floaters get tossed out (I don’t know why for sure).

Something else Mom told me to do. Dump the dry beans into a colander and look for small rocks, I alway find a rock or two in a bag of dry beans.

Hhhmmm. Interesting. I always wondered why a few beams would float and others didn’t. They will be tossed now.

Yes. When we do pinto beans, we sift through to make sure there are no rocks. I have not had that proble with packaged beans, but those I get from the market, I have thrown out a bit that are not bean like. .

My family bean recipe calls for great northern beans too, first time I have ever seen a reference to them outside of that. We never soak the beans or skim the farts off though, reenacting the campfire scene from blazing saddles is half the fun of a pot of beans.

How soupy does this end up? We use just enough liquid to cover the beans and it turns out thick enough to eat with a fork.

My family bean recipe calls for great northern beans too, first time I have ever seen a reference to them outside of that. We never soak the beans or skim the farts off though, reenacting the campfire scene from blazing saddles is half the fun of a pot of beans.

How soupy does this end up? We use just enough liquid to cover the beans and it turns out thick enough to eat with a fork.
this ends up pretty thick. i dont even measure the water. just cover the beans and add water if needed.

Top Back Refresh