What's new

Th350 noob question

M92PV4U

Falling Down
Member Number
Loc
D.p. Ca.
I have a th350 2wd transmission that I want to mate to a '72 figure 8 np205 what length output shaft do I need?

205t203 th350 ise a super short output. 1" ish

205 uses a coupler/spud shaft

Youll have to swap the tail if you want a oe style setup or hit aa hnd see if they have a long adapter/spacer to lush the tcase back to make up for it.

205t203 th350 ise a super short output. 1" ish

205 uses a coupler/spud shaft

Youll have to swap the tail if you want a oe style setup or hit aa hnd see if they have a long adapter/spacer to lush the tcase back to make up for it.

Do you know if it happens to be the shortest available? If so that would answer my question, Thank-you.

I guess I should have posted these for reference this is what I'm starting from.
20210322_155136.jpg
20210322_154944.jpg
20210322_154940.jpg
20210322_155020.jpg

It limits you so much on cruise speed that I don’t see many benefits, and I wouldn’t build anything with a wheelbase short enough to require that short of a drivetrain. No trailers here, building to maintain 60-70 is just as important to me as crawling.

trailers certainly make a difference. I don't mind commuting without O/D, hanging at 65mph isn't really an issue. long trips the trailer absolutely makes up for it :laughing:

offroad high speed bombing at 60+mph and i wouldn't really want to be in O/D anyways. 6+ speeds are great and all, but they aren't near the price point and ease of swap just yet. 5 more years and they probably will be.

TH350 with 4.56 gears and 37" tires puts me at about 2700 rpm at 65 mph versus about 1900 rpm for 65 mph with o/d. difference? sure, but not enough for the motor to care. just my wallet :laughing:

I was more talking about 4 speed autos that are easy to find and cheap. 2700 in high ambient temperatures with cause some issues long term. Fuel mileage is often my largest experience for wheelin. 6 speed would be cool, but I don’t take my rig past 80 on the street, and I don’t cruise that fast.

I was more talking about 4 speed autos that are easy to find and cheap. 2700 in high ambient temperatures with cause some issues long term. Fuel mileage is often my largest experience for wheelin. 6 speed would be cool, but I don’t take my rig past 80 on the street, and I don’t cruise that fast.

yeah about all the 4speeds are 0.7 range O/D and electronic. if they are smaller enough to fit in a similar spot, they do it by sacrificing internal size and strength.

30% fuel saving makes a trailer worthwhile :laughing:

Thanks for the input. This is going in a a '75 k10 60, 14b 454 converted to tbi. 4.11 35's. I know that the gears are a little but they're what I have. I will end up having two 4x4 th350's and is the reason I'm sticking with that transmission. I'm not afraid of high rpms even though I don't have a trailer yet. This is my first off road rig and I don't even know what kind of wheeling I'll be doing yet:shaking:.

yeah about all the 4speeds are 0.7 range O/D and electronic. if they are smaller enough to fit in a similar spot, they do it by sacrificing internal size and strength.

30% fuel saving makes a trailer worthwhile :laughing:

Trailers keep you from running trails and connecting to the next one. In ca that’s a thing. I very rarely come back the same way I go in. Often it’s a loop and return on a different hiway. My way of looking at is based on the area I wheel.

Thanks for the input. This is going in a a '75 k10 60, 14b 454 converted to tbi. 4.11 35's. I know that the gears are a little but they're what I have. I will end up having two 4x4 th350's and is the reason I'm sticking with that transmission. I'm not afraid of high rpms even though I don't have a trailer yet. This is my first off road rig and I don't even know what kind of wheeling I'll be doing yet:shaking:.

That’s bad ass. Throw it together and learn what you like about it and change it from there. I would plug your drivetrain into a rpm calculator like providence was doing. If you play in the hills by your house, it won’t matter. If you drive to the mountains outside of Fresno, it will matter.

That’s bad ass. Throw it together and learn what you like about it and change it from there. I would plug your drivetrain into a rpm calculator like providence was doing. If you play in the hills by your house, it won’t matter. If you drive to the mountains outside of Fresno, it will matter.

Exactly what I want to do. Throw a decent rig together to play in Panoche get a feel for what I'm doing and either build something else or upgrade this. This was my first vehicle so I'm trying not to make it a cut up beater but well see how it goes. As it sits now.
20210322_192233.jpg

Trailers keep you from running trails and connecting to the next one. In ca that’s a thing. I very rarely come back the same way I go in. Often it’s a loop and return on a different hiway. My way of looking at is based on the area I wheel.

portable air = drive back on the highway to your trailer :flipoff2:

done plenty of wheelin' in CA :rasta:

Exactly what I want to do. Throw a decent rig together to play in Panoche get a feel for what I'm doing and either build something else or upgrade this. This was my first vehicle so I'm trying not to make it a cut up beater but well see how it goes. As it sits now.

nice thing about CA, with 65mph highway limits you can cruise 60 mph and it isn't that big of a deal. 454 won't complain about 3k rpm though, it isn't like the MPG is going to get worse :flipoff2:

power on tap for days though :smokin:

Top Back Refresh