Donk

Piss Artist Formerly Known As OllieNZ
Member Number
Loc
Limeyland
Got my raw ingredients to make my first offset smoker today....... :smokin:

Let's see if I can't blow my dumb ass up cutting these open :homer:

photo640.jpg

The avatar goes perfect with the coming endeavor.

Credit to my boss for that. The picture appeared on my locker at work after he saw me waltzing across the hangar with a large propeller over my shoulder and the nickname stuck :laughing:

Gooday! I'm looking for Walter Riley. Want a cold one?

Love it and miss it. Have a brisket hanging out in my garage freezer waiting for this virus shit to be over. Can’t eat a whole one by myself. :laughing:

Love it and miss it. Have a brisket hanging out in my garage freezer waiting for this virus shit to be over. Can’t eat a whole one by myself. :laughing:

Smoke it, slice into meal sized portions, vacuum seal, refreeze and have brisket ready anytime you want. Works killer with pulled pork too. :smokin:

You gonna do a reverse flow or just straight offset? Few years back I built my buddy a big reverse flow out of a 500 gallon propane tank. They work great for keeping the temps nice and even. I now get invited over everytime he fires it! I love bbq!

You gonna do a reverse flow or just straight offset? Few years back I built my buddy a big reverse flow out of a 500 gallon propane tank. They work great for keeping the temps nice and even. I now get invited over everytime he fires it! I love bbq!

This! The proper way is to go overkill on complexity, for a small but measurable increase in utility. If you don’t go with reverse flow, we’ll all know and judge quietly.

me? Oh, I have a store-bought pellet grill. What you’re proposing is to do it the hard way. Us easy way people are the best ones to tell you how you’re doing it wrong while making your own thing.

Conventional flow but with a few tweaks.
I've recently acquired a very impressive book and if you're into Texas style BBQ or any sort of smoker BBQ really it's a must own IMO.

​​​​​​

photo1049.jpg

I spent years really into smoking.

I had 3 different smokers, I got all obsessed with using different woods.

I came to understand that I only like the lightest taste of smoke.

These days I use a ceramic cooker with a lump charcoal and very rarely I use some smoke pellets.

Have fun with your journey.

Made a start today and just about died :eek:

Couldn't get the valve out of the big bottle to purge it, so I decided to drill a 3/4" hole so I could stick the hose in it.
Hole went fine, nice and slow with a bit of oil to keep it cool. Squirted some detergent in there and started filling it with water, it was at this point the SHTF.......
Apparently the water was pushing out the mercaptan residue and making a bit of a pong so Mrs NZ stuck her head out the door because she could smell gas. Well apparently a bit of a pong is an understatement, it was a fucking hench stench and Mrs NZ just about :barf: when she stuck her head out the door and my reaction went something like this :lmao: which didn't improve matters. Well as the married amongst us will not be surprised to hear, her reaction and subsequent over reaction nearly resulted in loss of life :laughing:

These days I use a ceramic cooker with a lump charcoal and very rarely I use some smoke pellets.

Taste is definitely subjective, my plan initially at least is to use post oak or whatever passes for its equivalent over here and go from there.

Well, slowly getting there.....
IMG_20200603_140647313_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200603_144100207.jpg

Next up is to weld the bugger onto it's stand

Awesome, one of these days I will have space for all the projects I want to do:laughing:

I'm this. I like smoke but half the bbq I eat now is really good and only edible for half the portion before it's just too much. I think the average smoker out there has full mastered penetration of the smoke ring and rubs.

The upshot to all the BBQ mania is that I haven't eaten a bad BBQ since I don't know when. Maybe decades. I remember when BBQ was chicken boiled in Kraft BBQ sauce on a steam table. It's the Yankee sin I will fully admit to, fucking awful. Moving to the South was like arriving in the Promised Land as far as food goes. Our pizza is superior though and always will be. Southerners will never understand pizza, it's probably genetic.

Speaking of texas bbq, does anyone know if TexasBlake is still doing his rubs? Anyone got a link to his site?

Speaking of texas bbq, does anyone know if TexasBlake is still doing his rubs? Anyone got a link to his site?

I’ve been using a mix of that and the Meat Church recently. Damn good combo. TBBQR is too sweet and the MC really balances it out nicely.

I’ve been using a mix of that and the Meat Church recently. Damn good combo. TBBQR is too sweet and the MC really balances it out nicely.

If I remember, it's mostly brown sugar

Texas Blake's first shot of him cooking BBQ on the old bb was this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_0160.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.3 KB ID:	26941

Except it was all messy with BBQ sauce. He had it laid out on a white cutting board with a big flat blade salmon knife with the scallops in it, the kind Texans use to cut their brisket. I believe it was brisket too might have been ribs.

The criticism was that it was too messy with sauce but his brisket had a great smoke ring and it looked delicious.

Now he has this much more photogenic version of this picture on his website. Brings a tear to me eye, I tillya.

ill hold your beer

You're good, I've still got my eyebrows :flipoff2:

Added wheels, and welded it onto the stand today
IMG_20200604_143533867.jpg
A point of note for anyone else that fancies a go. Fuck knows what type of powder coating they use but it seems both hard and slightly rubberised, it's an absolute bugger to get off, clogged up normal grinding and flap discs in seconds and even a wire wheel struggles to shift it without smearing it all over the place. Once you've managed to get rid of the powder coat there's a rock hard zinc coating the wire wheel won't shift so you need to hit with a flap wheel to get it back to bare metal :mad3:

Rear entry or side entry fire box? Gut says rear but all the similar sized store bought stuff has side?

​​​​​​

photo8091.jpg

photo8092.jpg

Top Back Refresh