Teslarize your old 4x4

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
https://www.zerolabs.com/platform

light+tunnel.jpg?format=300w.jpg

Cool, but probably stupid expensive. I couldnt do that to a classic.

I've been waiting for someone with too much money on their hands to build a Rock-Crawler with 4 of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protean_Electric

Ran the numbers on that idea a while back. Not a great way to do a crawler. The big issue is the need for an after motor reduction gearbox. And the software to do simulated lockers.

Eh, screw it, might as well run the numbers. Using Protean's pd16 motor, and 40" tires, you would have a top speed of 22 mph. And you would need at least a 8.5:1 reduction in the hubs in order for it to crawl up hills well.

And the software to do simulated lockers.

That's where all the advantage is.

All race vehicles can now be F1 cars and we have to make rules to include the driver. There's no way Mercedes can't get an F1 around the track faster than any human can drive or even remain conscious in.

Stupid idea, part of the appeal of classic vehicles is feeling like you’re actually driving an antique. Nothing like the feeling of a 1970’s Honda CB750, which had enough motor to propel you forward at warp speed and then brakes that felt like two mice dragging their paws on the front brake rotor while you crushed the lever hard enough that it would make Chuck Norris cry if you were shaking his hand. :flipoff2:

Ran the numbers on that idea a while back. Not a great way to do a crawler. The big issue is the need for an after motor reduction gearbox. And the software to do simulated lockers.

Eh, screw it, might as well run the numbers. Using Protean's pd16 motor, and 40" tires, you would have a top speed of 22 mph. And you would need at least a 8.5:1 reduction in the hubs in order for it to crawl up hills well.

I'm no mechanical engineer (my expertise is in software), but wouldn't a planetary gear (or gears) be ideal for this situation?

Also I'm a little confused, why would the top speed be 22mph if these are designed for highway driven passenger cars with smaller tires?

I'm no mechanical engineer (my expertise is in software), but wouldn't a planetary gear (or gears) be ideal for this situation?

Also I'm a little confused, why would the top speed be 22mph if these are designed for highway driven passenger cars with smaller tires?

Spot on with planetary gears. Its the packaging that the issue, might be doable with Protean's design.

Its the gearing, to get the torque you slow the speed.

The heart of the issue is that since the wheels aren't linked via axles and driveshafts, each wheel needs to have the torque needed to move the car. All the numbers I've ran have been requiring each wheel to have the torque needed to move the entire car with only that wheel. I guess theoretically you would only need half of that torque per wheel.

Top Back Refresh