What's new

Tents.....whats good

pennsylvaniaboy

make fullsizes great again
Member Number
So I am wheeling more and more. I used to just wheel the major holiday weekends, and it was usually fair weather. I am now wheeling any time. and have discovered my 10 year old coleman tent leaks. I have sprayed it with campdry etc but it leaks. So in the makret for a new tent as the wheeling season is tapering off here (cold winter, open buggy, no beuno). Seems like a lot of stuff is OOS so trying to figure out a plan to purchase when stuff comes back in the pipeline.

Whats good? I need a 4-6 man tent. Me and the kids. I am tall and would love something i can stand in, even if it's just the middle.

The front runner recommended to me is Kodiak Canvas tents

My motorcycle tent is a Big Agnes and its the tits. I love it. If they make larger tents, that's a company I can recommend.

I'll be watching this also.

We have the yuge Colman instant tent from Costco and I do like how easy it is to put up, plus having extra room. But it's really bulky, heavy to pack and we don't always need a giant tent.

Like op, I do want one I can stand up in (~6') also would be interested in one that's good for cold weather also. I was seriously looking at the hexigon looking otter ice shelters, they look super nice for $600 and are easy to keep warm with a buddy heater or wood stove :evil: from the YouTube videos I've seen.

My recommendation, assuming weight isn't a concern.

If you dont want to spend a lot look at kelty or eureka.

Tall and cold weather tents dont really go together. Also, a ground clothe will help a tone.

Yotta mentioned ice fishing shelters. If your not looking for something with a floor.

I have an LL Bean Brand 6 man that has served us well. Had water wash under it once, was like a waterbed but no leaks.

I've used this when needed the past few years and it's the best tent I've ever used. Fuck clicking poles together and trying to push them through a sleeve - this has an external frame and literally takes a minute or two to set up. I got the 4 but they have a 6 person version...

IMG_7745.jpg

I've used this when needed the past few years and it's the best tent I've ever used. Fuck clicking poles together and trying to push them through a sleeve - this has an external frame and literally takes a minute or two to set up. I got the 4 but they have a 6 person version...

IMG_7745.jpg
We have the 12 person dark room or whatever. I like it for the price. It's still a Coleman and I'm guessing will start breaking soon. I'd like to step up a bit. The ice fishing shelters are probably where it's at. Get an ac if it's hot :flipoff2:

We have the 12 person dark room or whatever. I like it for the price. It's still a Coleman and I'm guessing will start breaking soon. I'd like to step up a bit. The ice fishing shelters are probably where it's at. Get an ac if it's hot :flipoff2:

Well this is probably the other end of the spectrum, but for a few days or more with a few people to set it up, it's pretty legit. The wood stove'll turn the muddy ground into dry dirt pretty quick once you get it going...

IMG_7742.jpg

Planning on doing some late fall/winter camping.

What's the best setup for two adults and 2 medium sized dogs? Something that I can add some sort of heat source to would be cool. Is there anything made out of canvas and metal that will last?

Planning on doing some late fall/winter camping.

What's the best setup for two adults and 2 medium sized dogs? Something that I can add some sort of heat source to would be cool. Is there anything made out of canvas and metal that will last?

This is what I set out to look for a while back. From what I found, unless you want a tiny little thing with a single pole in the middle. You looking at a small version of what desert pos posted, which are around $1k.

That's why I ended up with the ice shelters at $4-600. Which are actually insulated.

We usually set the tent up on the trailer and throw an easy up over it, think Im going to try this out for next year.

I just saw one of those in the background of an ultimate adventure video.

I've always kinda thought that would be a good way to go.

Reading some reviews, one guy said his was totally waterproof. He used it with a 10x20 ez up, so had a nice "porch" as well.

Also said it's not good for cold weather at all :laughing:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh