What's new

Temporary Cooking Forum

Jwredneck

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Edgewood, Wa
Until we get a dedicated forum I figured we should grab some of the popular recipes for preservation.

Cooking with Priest - The best mother f'in chili you'll ever eat

The recipe includes:

4 - bell peppers
3 - large chilis of choice
2 - cans of chopped tomatos with green chilis
1 - large white onion
4 - hot links
6lbs - boneless chuck

Seasonsings to taste
Salt
Black Pepper
Chili powder (your going to need probably close to a 1/2 cup)
Cumin

First, clean up your veggies and chop them up into approx 1" pieces
Next put a large stock pot on the stove and crank up the heat. Put enough olive oil into the pot to cover the bottom. Once everything is good and hot throw in your veggies and get them going. You want the veggies to soften and take on a little color. This usually takes about 15 minutes.
While the veggies are doing their thing you can begin prepping your beef.

Cut your beef in to 1"-2" cubes. Be sure to trim off any excess fat. If you leave all the fat on there the chili will become "slimy".

Now add your beef to the pot. When you do this give everything a good stir.

Now dice up your 4 hot links. These are the suprise that make this chili so damn good. Dice them up fairly small... you want them to be very subtle in there...they add a ton of flavor.

Once you add your links now go ahead and dump in your two cans of tomatos with the juice and half of your seasonings. When you cook seasonings they will mellow and take on a different flavor than when they are added at the end. Once it is all finished cooking we will go back and re-season to make sure it is where we want. Once you have all that in the pot add enough water so that everything is covered. Bring it up to a boil and now simmer for 3-4hrs stiriing ocassionaly to prevent burning.

You can tell it is finished when the beef is falling apart, everything is mingling together and it has become thick and attained the proper consistency. Go back and add seasoning to taste at this point. I use gobs of chili powder... I add about 1/2 cup to a batch this size. Don't ommit the cumin because that is what will give it that farmiliar "chili" taste.

I like to dish up a nice bowl and top with grated ched

Gutter Runner's Potato Soup (Build Thread)
Thought I would post this up for you guys to try out if you in the mood for some homemade potato soup. I have been tweaking this recipe for many years, and let me tell you, its tasty. Yesterday was a good day to make soup, as it was 15* out and windy.

The first thing you want to do is fry up 1 pound of bacon. In my experience, any recipe that starts with frying a pound of bacon is going to be good. I like to cut the bacon into one inch strips before I fry it. If you want, you can fry it whole, then crumble it into the soup later. In the stock pot you will make your soup with, fry the bacon extra crispy, otherwise it will be like biting into a blob of fat in the soup.

Drain the grease and leave some bacony goodness in the pot. Put the bacon in the fridge for later.

Then you want to peel 5 lbs of potatoes, and cube them int 1 inch chunks or so. I like to boil my soup for 2-3 hrs to thicken it. If you want any chunks of potato left, cut them at least 1".

Then you want to cut up 2 large onions.
5 stalks of celery.
5 carrots. I like to slice them thin.
Just kidding, all I had at home was this bag. It worked fine. :laughing:
Put them all in the pot and cover with water. Turn on the stove and bring to a rolling boil. Next, we add our seasonings.
Then throw in 12 chicken boulion cubes.
3 1/2 tsp salt.
2 tsp fresh ground pepper.
A couple spoonfuls of minced garlic.
3 1/2 tsp basil leaves
Then add 1 tsp crushed red pepper.
5 tsp Franks Hot Sauce. (Trust me)

Stir all the ingredients in. I bring the soup to a rolling boil uncovered, then I turn it down a bit to just a steady low boil covered for 2-3 hrs or so. It does not have to be a heavy boil the whole time. Keep an eye on your soup and if it starts getting too thick, add some water right away and reduce it to a simmer. Clean up the kicthen and pour yourself a cold beer.

Go out to the garage and work on your rig for a while.

After boiling a few hrs it will thicken nicely. I like to thicken by boiling instead of adding flour. If you are short on time you could do that, but I dont think it tastes as good. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
Stir in the bacon that you fried earlier.
Add 3/4 stick of butter. Or, what the hell, throw it all in if you want.
Stir in some whipping cream. I use the whole pint.
Let it simmer for a half hour or so, then enjoy your soup!

45ACP’s Mississippi pot roast

Shit y'all will need-

- a roast. 4-6 lbs, get something low-mid grade. Do not use the super high dollar mega lean bullshit. It needs marbling.

- one stick of butter

- one package of regular Ranch Dressing mix

- one package of au jus gravy mix

- jar of pepperoncini peppers

Place the roast in the crock pot, set the stick of butter on top. Pour on both packages of stuff. Place 5-7 peppers on top. Set the lid on, cook on low for 8 hours. Bam. Thats it. It's like 2 steps beyond making a bowl of cereal, and its the most baddest assest roast you've ever had. Only downside- you gotta cook the potatoes and carrots separate. They don't do well in a pot with this much flavor.

"But 45... There are no juices." Yep. We're going in dry. Don't worry, it makes its own succulent juices

Rustoid’s Carnitas!

The taco/burrito thread got me motivated to make carnitas.

My recipe is easy, relatively cheap and delicious. Only four ingredients.

- one pork shoulder or butt roast (do not use pork loin roast)
- one onion
- one 7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- one 7 oz. can salsa verde
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Deseed and mince about 1/2 of the peppers. Save the adobo sauce. Dice the onion. Place roast in dutch oven (or roasting pan if that's what you have). Smear the minced peppers all over the roast. Pour the adobo sauce onto the roast. Pat the diced onion on top of the roast then pour the salsa verde on top of the onion.
Cover (with tin foil if using roasting pan) and place in oven. Cook for about 3.5 to 4 hours or until you can shred it with a fork. Evenly shred the roast.
Turn oven to broil. Put shredded pork under broiler and check in 5-8 minutes. Remove when brown and crispy.
Stir it up so no brown/black bits are exposed and put back under broiler.
Repeat this maybe 5-6 times.

Be careful, everything is really hot. Be patient. These steps make this recipe way better than others. It gets rid of excess water and you'll end up with little charred bits of pork and crispy pork fat mixed in your carnitas. Good stuff.

Dillo Dust rub/seasoning.

- 2T sugat +1 t
- 3t salt
- 1 1/2t sweet paprika
- 1 1/2t smoked paprika
- 2t chili powder
- 1/4t celery seed
- 1/2t cumin seed
- 1/2t garlic powder

Use as desired.

- 2T sugat +1 t
- 3t salt
- 1 1/2t sweet paprika
- 1 1/2t smoked paprika
- 2t chili powder
- 1/4t celery seed
- 1/2t cumin seed
- 1/2t garlic powder

Use as desired.

Hope this takes off. That or I have missed the new cooking forum

This was always one of my favorites, made it several times for family stuff. Credited to Josh40601.

Bomb ass sausage and tortellini soup

Another recipe in our stables is this soup. I have served it at work and many of my friends and family have tried it, and everyone seems to absolutely love it. Maybe they are just trying to not hurt our feelings, maybe the soup really is that damn good.

Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup

1 lb. mild Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
48 oz. beef broth
1/3 c. water
2-3 carrots, chopped
3-4 ribs celery, chopped
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 c. tomato sauce
1-8 oz. package of cheese tortellini

1. Cook the sausage in a large pot over medium heat and sauté for 10 minutes, or until well browned. Drain fat except for 1 tbsp. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes.
2. Add carrots and celery into mixture. Stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add beef stock, water, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add tortellini and simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is fully cooked.
4. Top with parmesan cheese if desired and serve.

45ACP’s Mississippi pot roast

Shit y'all will need-

- a roast. 4-6 lbs, get something low-mid grade. Do not use the super high dollar mega lean bullshit. It needs marbling.

- one stick of butter

- one package of regular Ranch Dressing mix

- one package of au jus gravy mix

- jar of pepperoncini peppers

Place the roast in the crock pot, set the stick of butter on top. Pour on both packages of stuff. Place 5-7 peppers on top. Set the lid on, cook on low for 8 hours. Bam. Thats it. It's like 2 steps beyond making a bowl of cereal, and its the most baddest assest roast you've ever had. Only downside- you gotta cook the potatoes and carrots separate. They don't do well in a pot with this much flavor.

"But 45... There are no juices." Yep. We're going in dry. Don't worry, it makes its own succulent juices

My wife made this the other night, although she says she found the recipe on FB. But, this is my new favorite roast recipe. Damn good. And, another option for the leftovers is to wrap it in a flour tortilla and it makes a great taco.

I can't remember who originally posted it, but back when I had a red star, I pulled this Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip from the TP:

2 cans of chicken, or 2 cups-ish of some kind of cooked shredded chicken. I've used both some shredded chicken I had made leftover from enchiladas, and also used chopped up rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
1/2 cup of Frank's Wing Sauce
1/2 cup of ranch dressing
1 block of softened cream cheese.
2 cups of shredded cheese. The original recipe called for mozzarella, but I've also used sharp cheddar. I preferred the cheddar.
Mix it all up, get the cream cheese all smooshed and spread.

Put it all in some kind of casserole or baking pan, and cook in the oven 20 minutes at 350.

I tend to use pita chips or Scoops with it.

Easy peasy, and always is a hit at picnics, potlucks, and events, and I am known for my lack of cooking skills.

I love GutterRunner's potato soup. Only tweak I made is to add somewhere between 5-10 roasted green chilies. Especially when fresh from Hatch in the fall. Sprinkling with red chile powder is also good

I liked taco bell's smothered chicken burrito but it's been discontinued. We made a pretty good home-made version of it last night:

Taco Bell Smothered Chicken Burrito
-----------------------------------

Chicken:
1.5 lbs chicken tenders
1/2 tsp salt
8 to 10 cups water (enough to cover chicken)
2 7.5oz bottles of Taco Bell mild sauce
2 to 4 tsp pureed chipotle in adobo
lime juice
taco seasoning
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1. Boil chicken tenders with salt for about 35-40 mins until done and shredable
2. Remove chicken from water and shred
3. Place chicken in large skillet and add 1 bottle of Taco Bell mild sauce, pureed chipotle in adobo,
lime juice to taste, even (not super heavy) coat of taco seasoning, and smoked paprika. Mix well.
4. Cook covered over medium high heat until chicken has some browning on bottom then reduce heat to low
5. Add 1/2 bottle of Taco Bell mild sauce, mix well, re-cover, and set heat to keep warm

Chipotle Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups milk
2 to 3 tsp pureed chipotle in adobo
salt to taste

1. Melt butter over medium-high heat
2. Gradually whisk in flour to form a roux
3. Gradually whisk in milk
4. Add garlic
5. Leave on heat and whisk occassionally to mix thickened layer from pan bottom until gravy like
6. Reduce heat and stir in pureed chipotle. Keep on low until ready to use.

Red Sauce:
1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dry onion flakes
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and simmer for 15-20 mins

Refried Beans:
1 can Best Choice refried beans
1/2 cup milk

1. Mix beans and milk in sauce pan
2. Heat over low-medium heat until hot

Cheese Sauce:
1 can Rico's nacho cheese sauce

1. Put in glass bowl
2. microwave until hot

Rice:
1 cup white rice
2 tbsp butter
1 cup water
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp taco seasoning

1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat
2. Add rice and stir fry until toasted
3. Stir in water, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce, bring to boil
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 min (until liquid is absorbed)

Burrito Construction:
Chicken, chipotle sauce, red sauce, refried beans, cheese sauce, and rice from above
Large flour tortillas
Shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese blend

1. Heat large flour tortilla on griddle until pliable, remove from griddle
2. Layer beans, chicken, nacho cheese sauce, rice, and chipotle sauce on tortilla and roll into burrito
3. Place burrito into oven safe dish
4. Cover lightly with shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
5. Pour red sauce over burrito
6. Add more shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese on top
7. Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes

Scallop Stew Recipe:

* 3 pounds bacon, medium dice
* 3 chopped leeks (about 1 pound)
* 1 bag corn
* half lb of butter
* 1 fine cut spanish onion
* 3 bay leaves
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1/2 cup flour
* 2 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
* 4 cups white wine - cheap
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 3 pounds small scallops
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
* Salt and pepper

In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, and corn. Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir in the wine and butter. Add the scallops and simmer for 2 minutes. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream, bring up to simmer. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.

- 2T sugat +1 t
- 3t salt
- 1 1/2t sweet paprika
- 1 1/2t smoked paprika
- 2t chili powder
- 1/4t celery seed
- 1/2t cumin seed
- 1/2t garlic powder

Use as desired.

Where the fuck can I get sweet paprika? I am on my last container of dust. Have not found it in any stores. From winco to super ghey whole foods.

I can't remember who originally posted it, but back when I had a red star, I pulled this Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip from the TP:

2 cans of chicken, or 2 cups-ish of some kind of cooked shredded chicken. I've used both some shredded chicken I had made leftover from enchiladas, and also used chopped up rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
1/2 cup of Frank's Wing Sauce
1/2 cup of ranch dressing
1 block of softened cream cheese.
2 cups of shredded cheese. The original recipe called for mozzarella, but I've also used sharp cheddar. I preferred the cheddar.
Mix it all up, get the cream cheese all smooshed and spread.

Put it all in some kind of casserole or baking pan, and cook in the oven 20 minutes at 350.

I tend to use pita chips or Scoops with it.

Easy peasy, and always is a hit at picnics, potlucks, and events, and I am known for my lack of cooking skills.

My wife has been making this for like 10 years. Its fawking amazing. Obviously you can supplement with hotter spices if desired. Roasting some chili peppers and adding them in diced up is a nice touch as well.

Crock pot Pork loin - easy

Must have big crock pot

5# pork loin cut it in 4's to fit it into the pot.

1 bag Small potatoes cut in quarters.

1 jar pepperochini peppers.

1/2 bag of baby carrots, cut in half’s.

4-6 or more celery stalks, diced up.

About 1/2 white or yellow onion.

1 )and maybe a little more) chicken or beef broth

Your favorite seasoning (something like cajon seasoning works well)
  • put a layer of everything on the bottom, except the peppers (all potatoes need to be on bottom)
  • then a layer of seasoning
  • Season the pork loin cut in 4s and put it in
  • Add more veggies and peppers until full
  • Broth to the top
  • 7 to 8 hours on low

Scallop Stew Recipe:

* 1 bag corn
* half lb of butter
* 3 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup flour
* 2 cups heavy cream
* Salt and pepper

In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, and corn. Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir in the wine and butter. Add the scallops and simmer for 2 minutes. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream, bring up to simmer. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.

Damn. That's a great recipe. I mean that is really good.

So you make a roux out of aromatics and bacon fat, then you add more ingredients, then add the cream for a bechamel. The way that builds up the flavors is what I've been trying to do in cooking, that makes ALLLLLLLLL of the difference.

This would not be the same if you made a butter bechamel then added all the shit to it.

This will be my next big cook-up :beer:

Do you have pictures of this? Is this something you modified or did you get it from a momblog?

Gonna try some of Priest's chili tonight.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200816_135838.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	104517
​​​

IMG_20200816_135838.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a cleaned up version of Gutter Runner's Potato Soup.

1 lb Bacon
5 lb Potatos
2 lg Onions
5 stlks Celery
5 Carrots
12 Boulion Cubes
3 ½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
Garlic
3 ½ tsp Basil Leaves
1 tsp Red Pepper
5 tsp Frank’s Hot Sauce
Flour for thickening
¾+ Stick of Butter
Whipping Cream
Cheese
Chives

Still have a copy of the original post but this is a little easier to read. First snow the "better half" starts talking potato soup. 🐷🍵👍

Can you grab my mac and cheese one off there? Should only be 1-2 pages in if the account scramble didn't get rid of it.

8oz elbow macaroni (I prefer the large)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup parmesean cheese
1/2 block of colby/monteray jack
1/4 pound of smoked gouda
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup of bread crumps
smoked paprika
1 package of smoked Hillshire Farm smoked sausage cut to preferred size
1/2 pound cooked bacon, crumbled

Cook and drain the macaroni and set aside.
Cook the bacon, crumble and set aside.

In a saucepan melt the 1/4 cup of butter then add the flour to make a roux.
Add milk slowly while stirring.
Add some smoked paprika.
Add all cheese and cook over low heat until cheese melts and sauce thickens.
Add in macaroni, bacon, and smoked sausage and mix thoroughly.
Dump everything into a large casserole dish.

In a pan melt the 2 Tbsp of butter, add bread crumbs and more smoked paprika. Cook until browned then sprinkle over mac and cheese in casserole dish and bake in the over for 30 minutes at 350*.

I didn't have any bacon this time so it's absent in the pictures.

12211410361_zpse7c844be.jpg

12211410381_zps1084edc2.jpg

Save Share
Reply QuoteLike

Awesome, thanks. Hadn't made it in a couple years and was kicking myself in the ass for not saving it before I got rid of my account.

Scallop Stew Recipe:

* 1 bag corn
* half lb of butter
* 3 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup flour
* 2 cups heavy cream
* Salt and pepper

Any suggestions for a flour substitute? Wife has the gluten thing going... wonder if corn or rice flour would ruin it. I assume the flour is just for thickening...

Any suggestions for a flour substitute? Wife has the gluten thing going... wonder if corn or rice flour would ruin it. I assume the flour is just for thickening...

Sounds like it, would think any gluten-free option would work. Can probably sub corn starch.

Sounds like it, would think any gluten-free option would work. Can probably sub corn starch.

Might have to try it and see... didn't think of cornstarch. I don't cook much unless it involves a microwave or toaster oven. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh