What's new

Temporary Cooking Forum

Might have to try it and see... didn't think of corn starch. I don't cook much unless it involves a microwave or toaster oven. :flipoff2:

Just look up conversions for flour to corn starch to thickening. Can't recall what it is, but it's def not 1:1. Any time flour is in something liquidish it's probably just there to thicken and you can usually use less corn starch in place of it.

Just look up conversions for flour to corn starch to thickening. Can't recall what it is, but it's def not 1:1. Any time flour is in something liquidish it's probably just there to thicken and you can usually use less corn starch in place of it.

Just looked it up, several sources say use half as much cornstarch as flour. Ratio is the same for other starches (arrowroot starch, potato starch, or tapioca) Hope this helps others with the gluten issue. Wife's is a side effect of a perscription medicine she has to take. She >really< misses good Italian food... :frown:

Any suggestions for a flour substitute? Wife has the gluten thing going... wonder if corn or rice flour would ruin it. I assume the flour is just for thickening...

It's more than just thickening, it's a roux the way they're doing it. My suggestion:

You are going to lose a tiny bit of nutty flavor that fried flour gives, but it won't be much and will be equally thick. Heavy cream is going to make up for some of the richness lost by not using a roux.

Here is the modified directions:
  • In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, and corn. Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Add the potatoes. Stir in the wine and butter. Add the scallops and simmer for 2 minutes. With a whisk, stir in 1/4 cup corn starch 1/4 cup hot water slurry. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream, bring up to simmer. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
When you use a corn starch slurry, it will tend to settle, so it's like a 3-handed operation. I keep a fork in the slurry to keep it suspended, pour some in while whisking the gravy, mix it up, then agitate the slurry again, repeat. You want to keep that cornstarch suspended, but you also want to add the slurry slowly and keep it agitated until the white color disappears, otherwise it might lump. Use hot water, helps prevents a lump.

You'll want to add the corn starch before the 12 minutes, so it has a time to cook it, otherwise it will be raw and while not bad, it will be bland. You want as much sweetness out of that starch as you can get, but you can't add it too early or it's just going to coat your ingredients.

Good luck and report back.

Last edited:
Biscuits and sausage gravy casserole? Can't remember his screenname He was from roanoke VA.

I just wing it

can of biscuits quartered
1lb ground sausage
6 or more eggs
2 cups of gravy
cheese of choice to top

350* 30 min

Any suggestions for a flour substitute? Wife has the gluten thing going... wonder if corn or rice flour would ruin it. I assume the flour is just for thickening...

Yep, any other thickener

Just looked it up, several sources say use half as much cornstarch as flour. Ratio is the same for other starches (arrowroot starch, potato starch, or tapioca) Hope this helps others with the gluten issue. Wife's is a side effect of a perscription medicine she has to take. She >really< misses good Italian food... :frown:

There are a fucking ton of good options on the market right now for gluten free pasta, pizza crusts, ect. At least with the fake people who claim to have sensitivities and whatnot there's been some good options to come out from it. Ex had celiac so I get it.

what ever happened to that other sites cook book that was in the works for decades? seemed everyone was gong to do it but nobody did...

what ever happened to that other sites cook book that was in the works for decades? seemed everyone was gong to do it but nobody did...

I am pretty sure I have it in a .pdf, I'll have to look when I get some time later today. Actually it's been on my to do list to get it on IRATE for a little while, Thanks for the reminder.

It was made. I lost the PDF in a company wide extortion racket we got hit with last year. I do have it printed out though in the kitchen.

I am pretty sure I have it in a .pdf, I'll have to look when I get some time later today. Actually it's been on my to do list to get it on IRATE for a little while, Thanks for the reminder.

I NEED that in my life :grinpimp:

Every time I make these waffles I think about this thread. Thought I would share the wealth:flipoff2:

Waffles
Ingredients
2C flour
1/4C sugar
4tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
2 eggs
2C milk
1/2C vegetable oil
1tsp vanilla

Directions
1. In a large bowl whisk dry ingredients together
2. In a small bowl separate the eggs whites from the yolk. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
3. In a medium bowl mix egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Gently fold egg whites into the mixed ingredients
6. Cook in waffle iron to desired taste

Biscuits and sausage gravy casserole? Can't remember his screenname He was from roanoke VA.

I just wing it

can of biscuits quartered
1lb ground sausage
6 or more eggs
2 cups of gravy
cheese of choice to top

350* 30 min

I believe this was the mother F'in breakfast casserole. If I remember right.

For those not in the know I sent a copy of the old cookbook to Austin. It's located here.

Something to try is substituting 1/4 cup of flour for corn meal to add a bit of texture, then toss in about 1tbsp of corn starch. The corn starch makes them super crispy on the outside, it's really good.

Next time I make them i'll try this. :smokin:

Top Back Refresh