What's new
  • If you have not received the email confirmation check your Spam folder. If it's not there please use the Contact Us Form and let us know your username.

If you have a Yahoo! email, they are currently blocking everything the site sends. Please contact us dierctly with the link above.

temperature switch for electric fan in air compressor cabinet

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
I have my 60 gallon air compressor outside in a little shed (just big enough for the unit), with vents on the bottom, and vents on the top for air flow. It's not cooling enough when it's in the upper 80s or 90s+ outside, so I want to put some fans in either the lower vents to bring fresh air in, or the upper vents to blow the hot air out, or possibly both.

I don't want the fans to run all the time, just when it gets hot, like say ambient over 110 or so. Any suggestions for a temperature switch to do this?

Anyone done something similar?

tank_02.jpg

I Lean

skull
Member Number
As an alternative, you could pretty easily wire a fan to come on when the compressor cycles on....although a temp switch would allow it to also continue cooling after the compressor shuts off I suppose.

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
As an alternative, you could pretty easily wire a fan to come on when the compressor cycles on....although a temp switch would allow it to also continue cooling after the compressor shuts off I suppose.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But yes, I definitely want the fans to keep going after the compressor stops. Hell, even a 20 minute timer after the compressor stops running wouldn't be a bad option. I just suck at electrical shit, and don't know what my options are :rolleyes:

Even thought about making a box around the compressor cylinder, and filling it with water and running it through a small radiator, basically turning the air cooled cylinder into a water cooled :lmao:

ChiScouter

Red Skull Member
Member Number
You can get digital switched thermostats that plug in the wall at home depot. Programn on and off temps

martyfowler

Red Skull Member
Member Number
One of these should work good. I use them to control our egg incubators. They have been 100% reliable so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0152...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA; Im planning to use one in our unheated shop bathroom to turn on a heat lamp when ambient tump gets below 35*F, to prevent the plumbing from freezing. I think it will work out good.

Last edited:

Fredycruger

Today
Member Number
perfect timing
i gotta put my compressor into some enclosure so my summer neighbors doesn't complain :)

im going to build the box out of 2" rigid and i was thinking about the fan idea and how to make that shit work

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
perfect timing
i gotta put my compressor into some enclosure so my summer neighbors doesn't complain :)

im going to build the box out of 2" rigid and i was thinking about the fan idea and how to make that shit work

I would suggest doing away with the air filter that comes with the compressor, make a block-off plate with fittings for a muffler or two. I used these: https://www.mcmaster.com/1213T15

Made quite a difference in the noise. And if you want to, you can run a hose and put the muffler/filter elsewhere, so you're drawing fresh air instead of the hot air inside the cabinet.

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
that seems like it would do the trick. I guess setting it somewhere around 110 would probably be good?

ScottRS

Not @Rockstomper today
Member Number
I'd think anything less than about 130 would probably be fine, if you set it at or under 100 you'll probably be running the fan all summer.