What's new

Taurus Fan Wiring

kschaper75

Weak and Powerless
Member Number
Loc
Raleigh NC
Current setup is a no name electric fan with no shroud on a hayden controller. Over heated a little last time I was out. Bought a 2 speed taurus fan off rockauto and now need to wire it up. Did some searching and most threads at the old place are old and I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring so here I am. IS DCcontrol the easiest way to wire them up? If so, which one? Is there another option?

My junkyard Taurus fan is on a 3-way eBay chicom toggle with eBay chicom relays. One position is controlled by an eBay chicom thermostatic switch in the intake coolant passage right before the thermostat, the high side is controlled by the other position on the 3 way switch, turn on when needed.

The only issue I've had is the fan itself not liking being submerged in water and mud for long periods. A few well-placed taps with my pliers always fixes it

Go to the JY and get the relays and wiring for the fan.
Better yet,
Get the fan, shroud and relay set up from a Turbo Volvo.
Same fan but the housing is flanged and detachable making it Semi modular and easily attachable to a sheet metal shroud.
Relays attach directly to the shroud.

Better yet,
Same fan but the housing is flanged and detachable making it Semi modular and easily attachable to a sheet metal shroud.
Didn't know about the volvo fan. Not too many of them around here so probably hard to get used.

I cut everything off the Taurus shroud/housing except the shroud immediately around the fan. figured out I could use silicone adhesive reinforced with a few pass-through machine screws into a stock, unmodified, but flipped 180deg top to bottom factory '83 shroud to clear the water pump. Clearance was a little tight, but workable. Been running it for 6 years now.

Better yet,
Junk yards around here are useless. Bought a new fan off rockauto.

Get a stock Volvo relay and wire it like that :

volvo_relay_diagram.PNG

Works with Taurus fans too.
Relay triggers are grounds, so you can wire that directly into an ECM that has a ground switched command.
It's cheap too.

^^^ this, the Volvo relay package is the easiest setup and most reliable ive found. Started out with Taurus fans and various relays combos until I found the Volvo fan relay package.

^^^ this, the Volvo relay package is the easiest setup and most reliable ive found. Started out with Taurus fans and various relays combos until I found the Volvo fan relay package.
Have any pictures of how you have it wired? Most things I find are just line drawings

I have line drawings, I might have a pic on my yotatech build thread, but I’m sure the wiring isn’t spelled out since I just use wire diagrams.
There are only three connectors on the vovlo relay package.
1-pin connector: 12v power
2-pin small connector: two grounds for two temp sensors(I use thermal couplers in the radiator fins)
2-pin large connector: two power lines go to the two speed fan.

Autocoolguy.com makes wiring straightforward. Solid state device, much more reliable, failsafe override is nice.

The best part of the Volvo fan is the relay and wiring is easy to remove from the vehicle and it’s the same fan as the Taurus.

i did the tourus fan also but use just relay and switch and only used the high fan speed. its either on high or off. i am thinking about the temp switch now. with a 160 Tstat i bet i could use low more than high. hmmmmmm

i did the tourus fan also but use just relay and switch and only used the high fan speed. its either on high or off. i am thinking about the temp switch now. with a 160 Tstat i bet i could use low more than high. hmmmmmm
BMW temp switch for sure

Get a stock Volvo relay and wire it like that :

volvo_relay_diagram.PNG

Works with Taurus fans too.
Relay triggers are grounds, so you can wire that directly into an ECM that has a ground switched command.
It's cheap too.
Finally getting around to this. After much cutting finally got the fan mounted to the radiator. Question on the 2 small wires. I have a thermocouple from the old e fan set up and it has 2 wires. Can I just wire those together? Also the diagram says it needs a ground, would the thermocouple be the ground?

If I understand your question: if your thermo coupler is two wires it’s possible the body of the thermo switch will ground when installed. Is the temperature switch you have for two temperatures to trigger high or low fan?
Where are you mounting the temperature switch?

Ok, to be sure you could do a continuity test with a volt meter between each wire and the switch body/threads. We assume the switch body is ground, so just make sure you mount it to a metal radiator and the metal radiator is mounted with metal fasteners to the body of the truck. In other words, no rubber insulators on the radiator. Or you just run a ground strap to compete ground.
Hope that helps

Finally getting around to this. After much cutting finally got the fan mounted to the radiator. Question on the 2 small wires. I have a thermocouple from the old e fan set up and it has 2 wires. Can I just wire those together? Also the diagram says it needs a ground, would the thermocouple be the ground?
No

Depending on how you want it wired you can do multiple things.
What do you want to do?

Automatic on/off ofr both speeds? Through an ECU of a temp switch ?
Switched on/off for one speed and auto on the other one ?
Both on a switch ?

Then wire both trigger wires to your switch and ground the common pin.

Top Back Refresh